Bike carriers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We would like to take our bikes away this year ( beats taking the kids )How best should we transport them ? We could put them in the back of the car which would take up valuable storage space.We could get a cycle rack to fit on the back of the van but this would add to the length and reduce our personal payload.A cycle carrier on the roof is a possibility! or even a tow ball carrier, but this will affect the nose weight and possibly obstruct the van when making tight turns. Another method would be to have the type of carrier which fits onto the rear hatch and carries the bikes in a raised position,would this method affect the nose weight? As you can see I've explored all variations, some constructive advice would be most welcome. I tow with a Citroen Picasso 2.0 HDI

Cheers Kev

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Kev, We take 5 bikes with us when we go. 3 go on the car roof using roof bars and 3 individual cycle carriers and the other 2 go in the van. Once pitched, we've got a tow ball carrier for the 2 that were carried in the van.Ken

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Kev, With a normal type of vehicle a towbar mounted carrier is as you say out due to the effect on the nose weight. The simplest solution would be a roof mount but can be expensive. To carry 3 bikes on my CRV with Honda roof bar system and Thule carriers is approx

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've carried our bikes on a tow ball carrier, in the caravan and on carriers on roof bars. I've found that the best way is on the car roof. The tow ball carrier with bikes and the caravan was too heavy and carrying the bikes in the caravan was inconvenient. The idea of a rack on the back of the caravan is not to be considered as it is likely to make your outfit unstable.

Afraid I have no experience of the hatch type carrier.

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
I have a twin rack on the A frame, And also use a rear hatch twin rack on the car, As yet I have had no problem towing or movementround tight corners, the only disadvantage of the rack on the back of the car is access to the boot as its strapped securely and with 2 bikes on it, it weighs a bit.The rack on the A frame effects the nose weight so I use this for the light bikes, and counterbalance accordingly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kev

On our previous Peugeot 505 estate I carried 5 bikes on roof bars using Paddy Hopkirk roof carriers. These worked well although getting the bikes up was rather a struggle. I, also, had to be careful of height obstructions. One year I could see the upper deck spinning one of the bike wheels when we were exiting the ferry car deck - I was being waved on by a ferry officer at the time. I, also, saw a forgetful Volvo driver "total" his 2 bikes on a carpark height barrier in Brittany.

We now have a Vauxhall Monterey 4x4 and so rather too high for roof racks. I use Witter tow bar carrier. It is much easier to access and the weights are okay. The bikes can be fitted on quickly using only rubber bungies and a couple of U locks for security. One problem is that in tight manouevres the bikes become very close to the jockey wheel and/or front of van as the carrier is bent back around spare wheel. After a couple of incidents of jockey wheel handle and bike wheels colliding I now remove jockey wheel whilst towing and have someone watching when doing tight reverse manoeuvres.

I suppose every system has its advantages/disadvantages.

Happy caravanning

Tim

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I also have a Monterey, Tim, and I carry the bicycles inside it. It is, however, a long wheelbase 4-door and I do, of course, have to fold down the rear seats to get them in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts