bike rack choices

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
hi
looking for some advice about bike racks. we have an elddis autoquest and it doesnt have a cycle rack. we want to carry 4 bikes and from what I can find out it seems the weight may put too much strain on the back of the van?
so I have looked at using the towbar instead and getting a rack that goes on that. but from here I am getting confused about which type is best I have seen a thule one and a towball but cant figure out the differences...any advice would be appreciated
many thanks

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
You don't say what model Autoquest but we used to have a 100 and didn't mount a bike rack for weight reasons. However, it is not just a matter that a rack might put too much strain on the rear panel of the van. The other factor to consider is that the weight of four bikes and their carrier (magnified by the effect of the rear overhang of course) might cause the rear axle weight limit to be exceeded.
Graham

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have had racks on all sorts of vehicles, from motorhomes to Land Rovers. The one thing I can say without any doubt is, use the tow ball type every time. It puts the weight on some this that can take it and does not strain the back of the vehicle - very important with a motorhomes. If you don't have a tow bar - get one, just look at how vulnerable you van is to back end knocks. I would recommend a Hope Bar that goes across the back. It makes a great step for cleaning the back, and it allows you to put on a good bike rack. Check out Decathlon or Witter. Good luck

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
We've used one of the Witter bike racks for a while. No problems at all, carries 2 bikes and stays nice and clear of the bodywork.
resized-sete.jpg

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hitch bike racks provide a useful alternative to roof racks for most types of cars and SUVs. Using the hitch receiver to mount a bike rack, you can easily load and unload your bicycles without using a stepladder or lifting heavy weights over your head.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts