Bikes on Car Roof

Feb 22, 2007
Visit site
Hello all,

Off to France in about 3 weeks taking the caravan. Crossing from Portsmouth to Caen. It may sound a little silly-but will I have to take the bikes off the roof of the car when using the ferry.

Regards

Steve

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Not if you've booked the crossing as overheight, they just stay on the top during the crossing. However, if you haven't booked an 'overheight' crossing then you should notify them now that you're taking bikes, and may have to pay extra.

Sep 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

It is fine to take them on,we have done it before.

I have been warned,however, that if you opt for the extra height for the car they will charge it again online as it doesn`t allow for the tall caravan already having been charged!!

Don`t know if that`s true.

Dave.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
If your towing a van you hust give the max hieght. If your bikes are higher than the van just make the van higher and your covered.

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Some years ago we had a problem with Brittany Ferries who wanted to charge us extra 'cos of bikes on roof. I took the bikes off and put them in the van for the crossing and put them back on the other side.

They were being very fussy about heights and some people were made to pay extra with high roof racks.

This was some time ago but it's a way out if you have a problem.

When we came back there was no problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts