Bilbao to Perpignan on the Spanish side of the pyranees

Jan 29, 2020
Visit site
Hi
looking for ideas of routes and caravan sites. We are booked on the ferry to Bilbao and have 5-6 weeks. We fancied maybe staying at camping oyambre the other side of Santander and doing a car trip into the Picos and surroundings then down to Haro to taste some Rioja. I then need to visit my sister near Perpignan so not sure whether to go the Barcelona route or go over the top via Bourg Madame. We are towing so ……. Not sure -?want to see pretty bits not just motorways but don’t want it to be too stressful either! Next we want to go to Carcassone then see friends in Limoges- finally sailing back from Cherbourg. Need Help with the Spanish bit and the mountains- seems wrong to sail to Spain and not see any of it. All suggestions welcome 😀

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi
looking for ideas of routes and caravan sites. We are booked on the ferry to Bilbao and have 5-6 weeks. We fancied maybe staying at camping oyambre the other side of Santander and doing a car trip into the Picos and surroundings then down to Haro to taste some Rioja. I then need to visit my sister near Perpignan so not sure whether to go the Barcelona route or go over the top via Bourg Madame. We are towing so ……. Not sure -?want to see pretty bits not just motorways but don’t want it to be too stressful either! Next we want to go to Carcassone then see friends in Limoges- finally sailing back from Cherbourg. Need Help with the Spanish bit and the mountains- seems wrong to sail to Spain and not see any of it. All suggestions welcome 😀
What caravan and tug are you using and when do you expect to go. As the change of area and temperature can dictate the clothes you take, which over 6 weeks can change drastically as I found one August, starting in Northern France to the West, down to the south and back to the North.
It could be cheaper buying new clothes as you go, if you are going to have temperature changes. Due to payload for your rig.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi

From Bilbao if arriving about mid day, Zaragoza is achievable by night fall for an over night stop. Proceed onto Roses for a stay of a few days and then up to Perpignan. It is a very nice road, but busy.

Reactions: Deefi
Jan 29, 2020
Visit site
From Bilbao if arriving about mid day, Zaragoza is achievable by night fall for an over night stop. Proceed onto Roses for a stay of a few days and then up to Perpignan. It is a very nice road, but busy.
Thanks will have a look - have you been to Jaca by any chance?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks will have a look - have you been to Jaca by any chance?
No not yet. We have driven from Santander to Zaragoza and stayed over night at the caravan park in the town as they stay open until 8pm. However we then proceeded to Valencia the next day staying there for 3 weeks. From Valencia drove to Roses and then up to Milau to view the bridge there. Stayed 2 nights in Milau before driving back to Caen which took us 2 days however I will not do that drive again in a hurry. LOL!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No not yet. We have driven from Santander to Zaragoza and stayed over night at the caravan park in the town as they stay open until 8pm. However we then proceeded to Valencia the next day staying there for 3 weeks. From Valencia drove to Roses and then up to Milau to view the bridge there. Stayed 2 nights in Milau before driving back to Caen which took us 2 days however I will not do that drive again in a hurry. LOL!
The A75 at Millau is a good autoroute and crossing the viaduct is a real pleasure. The old RN into and out if Millau wasn’t good. Steep gradients and heavy with traffic, but nothing a well matched outfit could not cope with. But since the viaduct opened we stayed off the old RN when towing.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Wow that sounds good which bit would you not do again - have heard the Milau but can be a bit steep and winding!
The drive from Roses back to Caen even with over nights stops. No issue with the actual roads, but a long very boring drive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts