birmingham caravan show

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jo-anne. We had a trip to the show yesterday and I must say that I found it better than the Earls Court show at the end of last year.

Got myself a cover for the caravan at a bargain price and a subscription to Practical Caravan with

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We went for the 26th time and the show was as usual great

The arrangements for disabled parking were by comparison to previous year a disgrace.

I have always dropped my wife(who can walk) at the main entrance and then parked and walked from the adjacent disabled car park to the show.

This year the disabled car park was a bus ride away which is OK if the closer ones are full.

BUT the checkpoint police were not allowing any unloading of buggies etc so they had to go on the bus which had a ramp.

This meant that the aisle on the bus was then blocked and some of the less disabled were non too patient with fraught careres trying to get large buggies and disabled partners onto the bus which involved a 90degree turn and then a reverse off.

In these days of increased access for the disabled it was a disgrace.

Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
I agree with the comments about disabled parking. The car park adjacent to the hall filled up very quickly. In future years it might be an idea to use that car park just for wheelchair users, with a car park for the walking disabled, close to a bus stop. I also think the checkpoint police could be more flexible in allowing the drop of of disabled passengers.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I do NEC at times as visitior and exhibitor.

A lot of the workers are part timers!

I have disabled parents so I am well aware of what people have to endure with mobility difficulties.

A call to the NEC and being a little brave and you can drive directly to the doors of the halls.

SMILE nicely to the NEC Plods and tell them you have called and were told you need direct access. Barriers move as if by magic and you will get assitance from people nearer the halls!

It might not be right or be your normal style of behaviour, but if you always smile and look as you are in the right you will get help!

The regular NEC staff are normally the ones nearer to the halls and most are quite sensible and can be very helpfull if given a bit of respect.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We went last Monday, arriving about 9:45. At the gate for the disabled parking they checked our blue badge and the photograph. We were then directed to the car park opposite Hall 5. We could not complain as everyone went out of their way to ensure we had no problems. As someone said the car park filled up quickly as I also spotted exhibitors were being allowed to park in this car park.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We were later than usual as we had to make some calls beforehand and that is why we thought that the car park we usually use was full.

We did smile and were expecting no problems but the "lady" police person on duty was having none of it and assured us that its never been allowed to drop off.

Resistance was futile.

I felt very sorry for the buggy/wheelchair users and how they got back I don't know as we didn't see the adapted bus again and we queued for about 10 minutes to get the normal shuttle bus.

We will be early again next year !!

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
it was our 1st time there but my inlaws go every year.they said the disabled parking was the furthest its ever been.traders were using the disabled carpark next to the hall how bad is that and there was still lots of spaces.our other friend has kidney dialisis so he had to drop of med stuff at first aid.we asked at counter as he is registered disabled if him and his wife could get in cheaper (she is carer) as he is classed as disabled.they said he had to be in a wheelchair now that discrimination.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
I am not in a wheel chair and they charged mywife and myself disabled rates

Funny that, seeing as I am only temp disabled, but they considered it enough

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I really liked this show (our favourite venue now)

Had 2 disabled people in the car one fully and forced to park a bus trip away.

The bus laid on was not capable (and to full) for wheel chair users so had to wait in the icy cold for a special bus to arrive.

Sad as we enjoyed the show itself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts