Bl**ping inverter

Jun 13, 2020
Visit site
When i plug my laptop into the inverter - which is connected to 12v battery through 2 pin plug on the wall - it bleeps continuously. If i attach inverter directly to battery terminals its fine - No bleeping problem!

Any ideas?

Inverter is 300w (600w peak) so should be fine
2 pin plug is 15a so cant see a problem with that
Cigarette lighter thingy between inverter and plug came with inverter so can't imagine anything is wrong there

Obviously something between inverter and battery is wrong though because when connecting directly to the battery there is no Bl**ping issue

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jert,

The problem you seem to be having is the amount of current the inverter needs to operate which is to much for the caravans wiring. the gauge of the wiring used has some resistance

Most laptops I have seen seem to need about 70W of power to run. That means the inverter needs about 7 Amps current from the caravans 12V power socket. The socket will be some distance from the battery and its the length and gauge of teh wire that has some resistance, which resists the flow of current and causes a voltage drop.

Most inverters have a built in low voltage detection circuit which beeps, and this is what you have been hearing.

The solution is fairly simple and cheap. The wires between the inverter need to be a short as possible, and of a decent gauge, This minimises the voltage drop in the wires. It is better to use a domestic 230V extension cable to plug into the 230V side of the inverter to get the power to where you want to use it.

Reactions: Jert
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
If the OP connects directly to the battery there MUST be an in-line fuse at the battery end in the +ve or positive cable to protect the wiring in the event of a short circuit.

Reactions: Jert

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts