Blocked drain

Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
Hi, whilst away our bathroom basin drain took ages to empty the kitchen sink was fine. I tried putting Milton down it even plugged the outlet and left Milton over night which did improve problem slightly. Has anyone had similar issues if so what did you use to clear drain. Cheers Geoff.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Perhaps worth finding the point where the outlet from kitchen and washroom join beneath the van - disconnect and lower the washroom outlet to the ground before flushing through - sometimes the pipe has a 'droop' passing through the chassis where debris can collect - or maybe debris has accumulated at the junction point. (One of the two outlets is dedicated to the shower, the other serving both sinks).
As the sink is likely to be plastic don't use boiling water which may damage it, and also for that reason you cant use the caustic chemicals that you can use down the sink at home!

Reactions: Beardy
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a small hand plunger, which I have to use at least every trip out on the shower and the bathroom sink.
Coachman 560 rear shower and bathroom.
I think it's caused by where the pipes cross through the chassis.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We had an Elddis that suffered with this so I dismantled the pipes under the caravan and found each one had obviously been cut to size with a very blunt blade as they had large melted burrs on the inside that prevented proper flow of waste. A few minutes with a round file sorted everything

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
1.Fill hand basin with water.2pull plug out.3.place hand over plug hole.4remove hand from plug hole..repeat step.3 and 4..the surge of water due to vacuum can sometimes dislodge a blockage.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Fenwicks supply a waste and pipe cleaner made specifically for the job of freshening waste containers and unblocking pipes . Googling the question comes up with home remedy of washing soda diluted ( 50 grams per litre) in warm water to give the pipes a soaking.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If you can, put a hose pipe over the outlet and seal it with a rag. Get someone to turn the tap on while you hold it in place. This can get lots of stuff out. But there is a possibility it might blow joints apart under the van. These are easily fixed if you are supple enough to get under.

John

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The underfloor plumbing was badly routed on our Elddis, so I rerouted it.

Never had any blockages but as a routine when cleaning I take the garden hose into the bathroom and just flush the pipes through for a few seconds.

Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
Milton is designed to kill bacteria not unblock drains!
First thing I would try is, contrary to a previous poster, a kettle full of very hot water. Basins and pipework are designed to deal with hot water, any suggestion it could be damaged is simply daft.
Thank you for your input. As you say Milton is a sterilising product however the "Small Print" mentions that it has cleaning properties so I thought would give it a go.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
May sound daft but try getting a litre bottle of Cola from a supermarket, close the external drain plug, pour half the contents of the bottle down the sink and leave overnight.
Next morning open drain plug and rinse.
Worked for me.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
If you need you resort to something stronger than water, rather than Cola, I would suggest a mixture of Bicarb of Soda and Vinegar.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Caravans don’t have traps like a conventional sink, it’s just a one way gravity fall to the waste container
Both my 2009 Adria and 2000 bailey had 3 them. Probably one of these.

Reactions: GaryB
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
One of the two outlets is dedicated to the shower, the other serving both sinks
Not on my caravan (2016 Lunar Venus). The bathroom sink and shower join just before one outlet, the kitchen sink goes to the other outlet.
I have a similar problem to the OP in that the bathroom sink drains slowly. I disconnected the pipework to the bathroom sink last week to check for blockages, there weren't any. I've put the slow drain down to the sink having effectively a double 'U' bend. The first where the pipe drops into the bottom of the bathroom cabinet and forms an S shape to drop through the floor, the second where it loops under the chassis. There's a permanent air lock between the two . By pushing the pipe tight to the chassis I've improved it quite a lot but it's still slower than I'd like. My plan is to remove the base of the bathroom cabinet and try to eliminate the S shape ........... when I get around to it.

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
Not on my caravan (2016 Lunar Venus). The bathroom sink and shower join just before one outlet, the kitchen sink goes to the other outlet.
I have a similar problem to the OP in that the bathroom sink drains slowly. I disconnected the pipework to the bathroom sink last week to check for blockages, there weren't any. I've put the slow drain down to the sink having effectively a double 'U' bend. The first where the pipe drops into the bottom of the bathroom cabinet and forms an S shape to drop through the floor, the second where it loops under the chassis. There's a permanent air lock between the two . By pushing the pipe tight to the chassis I've improved it quite a lot but it's still slower than I'd like. My plan is to remove the base of the bathroom cabinet and try to eliminate the S shape ........... when I get around to it.
I have exactly the same caravan, same year, and totally agree with you, very slow bathroom sink.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I stand corrected! I had thought that the outlets from sinks linked and seperate for the shower was usual practice to avoid any possibility of water from a sink washing back into the shower tray in the event of problems with the systems.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I stand corrected! I had thought that the outlets from sinks linked and seperate for the shower was usual practice to avoid any possibility of water from a sink washing back into the shower tray in the event of problems with the systems.
Our wash basin and shower are linked. The kitchen sink is separate.

Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
Thank you all for your input, stories and advice all of which have been noted. I won't be able to use some of the remedies as van now in storage but will be crawling underneath to check on pipes etc, thanks once again.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
You're peobably correct on most caravans, I can only comment on my own. My guess is that standard practice is to use the minimum amount of pipe and labour to keep costs as low as possible so pipe runs will vary depending on layout.
I think that they've joined the sink and shower inches away from the outlet on mine to avoid back wash to the shower.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts