BMW 520 TOURING OR VW TIGUAN 190

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thinking of buying a BMW 520d touring or VW Tiguan 190bhp to tow Coachman 575 Vip
They are both very nice cars but your own motoring needs should influence your choice as towing is only a relatively small part of most people’s overall mileage. My choice would be the BMW as I like estates.

Reactions: JezzerB
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
They are both very nice cars but your own motoring needs should influence your choice as towing is only a relatively small part of most people’s overall mileage. My choice would be the BMW as I like estates.
Don't overlook age and backs. Cars like the 520D estate are rather low so you have to get up out of them and some can be murderous - anyone who ever had a Pug 407 saloon or estate will know exactly what I mean.

Conversely you get out or even get down from an SUV so its much easier and less back-loading.

The other side of the coin is the urge. From what I can see the 520D is 140bhp (although I would have thought it would be more) and a moderately heavy car, whereas the Tig with 190bhp - I would doubt you would know the van is on the back.
If you are looking at that price range have you considered a Skoda Kodiaq? Amazing vehicle, lots of room, and essentially the same engine as the Tig.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I own Volkswagen Tiguan 4motion TDI 190 bhp DSG i find it very suitable for my needs at present we tow a 2 berth only brought last year but when we upgrade we like this .in the photo .
We find it great but it your choice at the end of the day ...

Attachments

• 4FBIB12 (1).gif
    4FBIB12 (1).gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 4
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Hughie,
Welcome to the forum.

We do like to try to help with queries like yours, but you haven't provided enough information about the cars or the caravan.

As the years go by manufacturers will often update models and give them different weight and towing capabilities, so we do need to know model, body style, trim level year, Engine, fuel and power, and the where appropriate weights.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with Otherclive. Both cars should do the job well but towing is only a minor part of your driving. You need to decide which car will suit you best for your daily driving and that is a personal thing. The one you feel will suit your life best is the one to go for.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
The 520d is a superb car with a wonderful engine; be my choice if you value driving. If not and you like an upright position with a great view maybe the SUV is for you-but ............BMW build is good too!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I would say it depends what you want for me i prefer SUV i suffer bad with Back Ache and it the right height for me i tried a Estate car alright for loading all the gear but lower cars don"t agree with me because i am 6ft 4in tall
My brother had a BMW 320d Touring from new and it now 12 years old but he loves my Volkswagen Tiguan with it been 4 wheel drive we can go down on River Bank for Fishing no problem

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Driving comfort is important, but I seriously doubt that the height of the vehicle is defining factor. Its got to be more about the shaping of the seat and personal preference.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Driving comfort is important, but I seriously doubt that the height of the vehicle is defining factor. Its got to be more about the shaping of the seat and personal preference.

Those with even slight mobility restrictions will often be more comfortable in a CUV/SUV than a conventional saloon/hatchback/estate - as the seat is higher from the car floor as well as higher from the road.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We’ve got a SUV and a smaller Kia and I dread the day that I may have a mobility problem as the Kia is very low down, as was my previous Skoda Superb estate. You can get driving comfort in all shapes and size of car but it’s no use if you cannot get in without discomfort. Ford when they introduced the Focus by developing oversuits that limited mobility to see how the design affected different age groups. Honda went the other way with the latest Civic.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Those with even slight mobility restrictions will often be more comfortable in a CUV/SUV than a conventional saloon/hatchback/estate - as the seat is higher from the car floor as well as higher from the road.
I have to agree with RogerL i have mobility problems can not reach my lower limbs that is why a MPV OR SUV because it is better suited for me

Reactions: xtrailman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I fully accept the height of a vehicle can make a significant difference to access if you have mobility issues. Been there and done that. But the point I was addressing was that the actual driving position and its comfort is not determined by the height of the vehicle. I should also add that comfort is a very personal thing and what suits one may not suit others.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We’ve got a SUV and a smaller Kia and I dread the day that I may have a mobility problem as the Kia is very low down, as was my previous Skoda Superb estate. You can get driving comfort in all shapes and size of car but it’s no use if you cannot get in without discomfort. Ford when they introduced the Focus by developing oversuits that limited mobility to see how the design affected different age grounds. Honda went the other way with the latest Civic.
I also agree with Clive when i was looking at cars before the Tiguan i look at 8 cars all different sizes the Kia is to low i look at a Skoda Octavia same then look at a Nissan Qashqai/ Vauxhall Mokka could get in it but seat right back anybody getting in behind me had to push my seat forward plus the boot far to small Ford Focus C Max i said to the salesman i felt i was to close to the steering wheel the Grand was no better i said could you take seat out i drive it from the back seat , Citroen C4 picasso not enough legroom but the Grand was ok The only car i find is suitable is the SUV from my wheelchair i slide across to the seat :D

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I suppose the question is really do you want a conventional car or an SUV? The two models are both up to the job, but are different concepts, so it is really what suits you once you have considered the points raised. BMW will sell you an equivalent SUV and VW a conventional car so possibly you need to look at the concept first and then the make.

Mar 2, 2018
Visit site
I own a Tiguan and have had various BMW's in the past. If you enjoy spirited driving go for the 520. A point to note on any test drive of the Tiguan if DSG. See if you are happy with the throttle pick up. It's not the "diesel delay" but a well-known issue where there is a significant delay before the throttle picks up. This is a very well known issue if you google it and for me, it spoils what is an excellent car. To the point that after a year I'm wanting to change and may well go for the 520 or its at least near the top of my shortlist.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I own a Tiguan and have had various BMW's in the past. If you enjoy spirited driving go for the 520. A point to note on any test drive of the Tiguan if DSG. See if you are happy with the throttle pick up. It's not the "diesel delay" but a well-known issue where there is a significant delay before the throttle picks up. This is a very well known issue if you google it and for me, it spoils what is an excellent car. To the point that after a year I'm wanting to change and may well go for the 520 or its at least near the top of my shortlist.
Strange as I had a DSG Superb with a similar engine and there wasn’t any noticeable delay on pick up. Rather the reverse in fact it was very keen to get away from a standstill or when on the move. I had no concerns whatsoever.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i own a 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan 4Motion SEL TDI 190BHP DSG I don"t know what engine you have in your tiguan i was told by the salesman do not press down on heavy on the accelerator because it take off to fast and i would agree with him that only in Drive .
it might have been fixed there is no delay in my car.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I fully accept the height of a vehicle can make a significant difference to access if you have mobility issues. Been there and done that. But the point I was addressing was that the actual driving position and its comfort is not determined by the height of the vehicle. I should also add that comfort is a very personal thing and what suits one may not suit others.

I still disagree! The driving position within a CUV/SUV is usually more upright, something that can't be achieved in conventional vehicles - that is more comfortable for many people and a big part of the popularity of CUVs.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Actually i disagree i am very tall 6ft 5in the SUV suits my mobility needs

Reactions: xtrailman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Actually i disagree i am very tall 6ft 5in the SUV suits my mobility needs
Prof John was only stating an obvious point that different types of vehicle can be comfortable and it doesn’t have to be a CUV/SUV. Our recent Nissan Note and current Kia Rio were/are comfortable to drive even long distance but fir anyone with mobility issues might certainly find the Kia Rio quite difficult to enter given its low stance. My Skoda Superb was also low and if I was the passenger was also awkward to exit when close to the kerbside. I am 6 ft 4 in.

Mar 2, 2018
Visit site
i own a 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan 4Motion SEL TDI 190BHP DSG I don"t know what engine you have in your tiguan i was told by the salesman do not press down on heavy on the accelerator because it take off to fast and i would agree with him that only in Drive .
it might have been fixed there is no delay in my car.
Interesting. The UK Tiguan forum is full of people complaining about the same issue. Mine is a 2018 RLine 150. On the test drive, I thought the delay was down to me coming from a more powerful diesel. But no it is so bad pulling out of junctions I've had a number of near misses due to the exit appearing clear but by the time the Tiguan begins to accelerate another vehicle is now approaching quickly.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Our dreadful Tiguan was the same. I did find that you can alter the performance with the rotary control in the middle which pretty much sorted that problem.
I have a permanent back condition ( too many years bending over engines) and find the more upright seating of an SUV much more comfortable.
incidentally we went from a 2014 Sorento to a Tiguan in the belief that we were going upmarket. Couldn’t have been more wrong!
If that’s the best VW can do they need to take a good hard look at the Koreans.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts