body boarding in biarrittz

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We are taking the caravan down to the biarritz area of france in august. I understand that it is a good surfing area. Has anyone been? and if so would i be better off waiting until i got there, or should i have a look on ebay and get one before i go.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Yes. I've been body boarding and windsurfing at Biaarritz in Summer.

I advise that you are strong and fit and good swimmers as the sea can be very srong even on a nice day. I had an expensive board folded in two under me and my back badly bent back the wrong way in the waves one day. In the nice warm weather we were not wearing wet suits and got some pretty hard sand and gravel rash.

The atlantic coast gets strong under currents all along it in France and, do not leave kids to their own devices on that coast. I'm a life long good swimmer and have seen two people who have drowned on that coast with French Helicopters retrieving the bodies.

Don't be scared off, but do take local advice and do be careful!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
It's much the same in Cornwall Gill.

We've caravanned and wind surfed from Southern Brittany down to Biaritz over many years. And the sea has to be watched at all times on the Ocean coast more so than the Med. One reason for using the Quiberon,Royan and Archachon areas for many are the natural land spits that protect some of the beaches and the inland lakes that can be wind surfed on when the summer seas and winds get up.

Try this - http://www.beachwizard.com/beach.asp?country=France&beachid=6840

or- http://www.beachwizard.com/beach.asp?country=France&beachid=6300

You may find some comment as to how strong the seas can be here.

It is possible to find miles of near empty beach along this coast but remember part of it is known as the Cote Sauvage or Savage Coast. If the beach is near empty and there are no life gaurds I would avoid it and I can swim with the best.

Body surfing is great fun and Biarritz a great place, just take note and care.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hard Question Gill.

You can get good deals here and in France. Buying in peak holiday season you may not do that well price wise in France on the coast.

If you want something half decent this time of the year with pre season out of season deals before the new designs hit the sores may be a good deal. I'm very tall and heavy so need the longer 40 + inch style board. If you are big people you'll need a long board and more board bouyancy helps or the board will be half under the water as you try and catch the waves.

A set of fins (flippers when I was a kid) is another must if you want to catch more waves. Without fins you will spend more time and effort trying to get to the right place and have less chance of getting the good waves.

Remember at times though that a good summer atlantic wave can lift you ten or so feet up as you scream towards the beach on a boogie board. It's great fun, but when it dumps you and swallows you up, you will not know where you are and what has hit you at times ;-)

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
My own personal experience is that the waves in the Biaritz area are quite a lot stronger than all of the Cornish beaches I have been to.

If you go over the border to San Sebastian they are the strongest I have ever seen.

I have only been there twice and it could have been a flook but otherwise the weather seemed normal.

I would suggest it is a funnelling effect of the Bay of Biscay.

Feb 3, 2007
Visit site
Regarding wearing flippers in this region. If you don't wear flippers the lifeguards will insist you bodyboard within their surveyed area between the safety flags on the beach. This means that you are often battling with hoards of kids and other swimmers to get a clear space. Wear flippers and you'll be allowed outside the flagged area where you'll generally see all of the locals bodyboarding.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
With respect Jeffs advice has some merit, but using a strange beach I would advise you keep to the areas under the eyes of the local life gaurds be yoo body boarding or doing any other water ativity.

If new to body boarding and unless your are proven strong swimer with sea swimming experience you'll stay alive longer if you keep in designated areas and not wander into ares that locals have experience of and fool hardy people die in.

I have 40 + years of vast swimming experience in all kinds of water and from high level competition to long distance sea swims that have been longer than a channel crossing.

I may have a joke on here, but I've saved lives at beaches in the UK and the French atlantic and med coasts the Canaries and Greek Island and Indian Ocean beaches.

Most incidents had one thing in common, they were at crowded beaches and involved holiday makers not understanding the conditions.

Give the sea TOTAL RESPECT at all times and enjoy it in as safe an area as possible.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts