Bought a new Bailey unicorn Vigo 2022 found mould in floor

Nov 15, 2022
Visit site
Lifted the front cushion noticed areas of mould on the plywood floor in the front of the caravan? What rights have I regarding this problem. The caravan is Months old. Not using because of my wife’s COPD respiratory problems and the associated mould/spores. The retailer did a damp test and said the van was dry. Can I refuse this van and ask for a replacement?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If the dealers damp check was correct, then the mould is most likely to arise from inadequate ventilation, and how the caravan is used. Did you see the damp check carried out and witness the readings. If not perhaps you could commission a seperate check to rule out damp.
If you haven’t been using the caravan because of your wife’s medical condition, did you take steps to ensure adequate ventilation such as lifting seat and bed bases, opening lockers, doors etc. IE the normal sort of precautions that you take when laying a van up for winter.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If the dealers damp check was correct, then the mould is most likely to arise from inadequate ventilation, and how the caravan is used. Did you see the damp check carried out and witness the readings. If not perhaps you could commission a seperate check to rule out damp.
If you haven’t been using the caravan because of your wife’s medical condition, did you take steps to ensure adequate ventilation such as lifting seat and bed bases, opening lockers, doors etc. IE the normal sort of precautions that you take when laying a van up for winter.
Provided the fixed ventilation hasn't been blocked or restricted, there should be no need to do anything further.

Other than draining water pipes and ensuring the toilet flush is empty, we've never done anything else to "winterise" our caravans and never had a mould issue.

Nov 15, 2022
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. We noticed the mould on our first trip with the brand new van to France this summer. We picked up new van from the dealers. Then set off on our holiday in France. The caravan was well ventilated throughout our very hot summer. All windows and door open using the vented screen. We reported the mould to the dealer on our return. The damp test was carried out within that week when we arrived back. The caravan been at the dealers for three weeks. Waiting for their findings

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. We noticed the mould on our first trip with the brand new van to France this summer. We picked up new van from the dealers. Then set off on our holiday in France. The caravan was well ventilated throughout our very hot summer. All windows and door open using the vented screen. We reported the mould to the dealer on our return. The damp test was carried out within that week when we arrived back. The caravan been at the dealers for three weeks. Waiting for their findings
Are there any cold water pipes in the vicinity of the mould perhaps causing condensation?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Provided the fixed ventilation hasn't been blocked or restricted, there should be no need to do anything further.

Other than draining water pipes and ensuring the toilet flush is empty, we've never done anything else to "winterise" our caravans and never had a mould issue.
Clearly I’ve been wasting my time over all the past years. ☹️

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

When mould is present it needs moisture to grow. A so-called dry caravan can be 15%, or even 20% moisture depending on who is measuring. Therefore sufficient moisture to sustain growth so long as the spores are there. Even being in hot weather with plenty of ventilation will, at best, put the spores into hibernation, but not kill them.

It raises the question of how and why the spores got there in the first place. Perhaps there was contamination when the material was in storage.

In my opinion, if the spores are eradicated, That could be all that is required.

I agree that spores can cause respiratory problems, but as they exist in the air around us anyway, they would need to be concentrated as in black walls.

This article will support the above and provide methods for destroying them.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Paullus1959
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site

I agree completely with RogerL, we do nothing more than he mentions except,
we leave the cupboards, wardrobes and fridge door open and we haven’t experienced any mould whatsoever in our six years of ownership.
If the damp test is genuine and the area is dry then I think something has contaminated the surface where the mould is. If you are so inclined you could try “HG Mould Remover“ which is very effective but, I would want answers from the dealer and manufacturer before trying to get rid of it yourself.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
White vinegar is a traditional approach to destroying mould. Light spray, leave for 60 minutes and wipe down with water. Test a small area first, but where you have found mould there should not be a problem in using mould killer.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
White vinegar is a traditional approach to destroying mould. Light spray, leave for 60 minutes and wipe down with water. Test a small area first, but where you have found mould there should not be a problem in using mould killer.

Hydrogen Peroxide is good and recommended.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To be able to progress your complaint towards a replacement, I suspect will be quite difficult. History shows it is very rare for a caravan manufacturer to accept that a caravan needs to be replaced under the term of the manufacturer's warranty. They normally seek to repair where a liability is established under the Warranty.

You are more likely to (but still not certain) to be offered a replacement if you use your statutory rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. However there are specific criteria that have to be met and it has to be conducted in the correct way.

Just in case you don't know, the CRA sets out the minimum contract conditions that a retail purchase has to meet, You contract is with the seller not the manufacturer and the seller cannot use the manufacturers warranty or opinions to modify or reduce their liability to you under the CRA.

Basically your case all hinges on being able to show the caravan is faulty, Obviously forum members cannot confirm if that is true or not, but provided it is less than 6 month old from the date you took possession of it (completion of purchase contract) then it is actually up to the seller (not the manufacturer) to show the caravan is not faulty. If you have had the caravan for more than 6 months, then the CRA requires the customer to provide the necessary evidence of a fault.

But If it is your intention to use the CRA you must formally reject the caravan by letter to the seller and notify them of your intention to pursue the the matter under the terms of the CRA .

You will find some great advice about how to use the CRA on the consumer associations web site (Which?), along with some proforma letters of rejection etc.

If you used a finance package to purchase then the Finance company is the seller and they carry the liability.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
You can only demand your money back in the first month and that has passed some time ago. In the next six months the dealer is required to repair any faults and you can demand your money back if the repair is unsuccessful. but not otherwise.
The first thing here is showing this is a fault and that may be a major problem. Mould spores are ever present in the atmosphere and can grow if the right conditions are there. With a caravan this could be because of a fault or simply the way it has been used or stored. You need to investigate the area as far as possible and I would agree another damp check might help but in the absence of proof of any fault in the caravan I cannot see that a claim would succeed.
All caravans have good ventilation built into the design, and unless this has been blocked I cannot see this being the problem. This is normally at floor level mainly in lockers and blocking them with stored items could cause this problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts