Brains or Brawn needed for alko

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
15 Aug 2009 12:01 PM

Ok I know there are 100's of you vanners out there with brains and brawn.

For our holiday this year we wanted a mover (essential for me)and new hitch ( because on the new car they put the new swan neck on).

No mover fitted, found out to late we have to have powertouch themselves out to fit they won't garantee the mover unless they do it because we have older van.

Hubby just got home with new alko. Absolutely no way could I lift the stabilizer, I have a serious neck problem which really prohibits me lifting or even carrying a shopping bag.

I see lots of you people on sites with these alko's is it stiff because it's new?

Even my hubby needed two hands and a lot of hump to do it.

Give me the tips? Does it get easier? Does anyone have any idaeas of anything we could use to help lifting the stabilser up so we could unhitch.

If not all you men out there, beware you will be approached by nice lady wanting your muscles. hee hee

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Hello there, the alko hitch lever is a bit tight to put on & pull off but not so tight that you should have to struggle. are you sure that it is adjusted correctly?

for directions on adjustment use this link & go to page 8 http://www.al-ko.co.uk/edit/files/support/CaravanChassisBook.pdf

Tony

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
I have muscular dystrophy so found the same problems - in fact one bad day I was very close to having to go knocking on caravans nearby to get someone to help me pull the lever up.

Sitting on the car boot edge so you're not straining your back and can pull up with both hands helps. As does standing on the lever to get it down.

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
I found that if you put the handbrake on before lifting it off it is almost impossible to get off so I always leave the handbrake off until alko's lifted most of the time it makes it easier.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Smiley, this works for me

If you have reversed your caravan on to your pitch with the towcar the hitch might be compressed for the brake overun to work.

After you have finished reversing it can sometimes help if the towcar is then eased forward for a few inches while hitched up to de compress the hitch and take pressure of the stabiliser mechanism.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Yes, I can get on the boot and use my foot. But lifting is out.

Thought if anyone had come up with an idea.

Maybe alko should create a device where by we can just wind it off the same as the jockey wheel. Hubby thought of putting a longer bar on it but I don't think that would work.

I think I rather fancy the idea of finding a man when I'm on my own. You are always so nice and helpful to us women....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts