Brake lights whilst stationary

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A pet hate is sitting behind someone in a traffic jam on a dark night who has their foot on the brake. The brake lights are blinding.
So my VW has an automatic electronic handbrake. You stop and the handbrake comes on. BUT as I found out tonight, when I stop and take my foot off the brake pedal, the handbrake applies but the brake lights stay on. The Germans and I am sure there’s designed it that way. 😢😢😢😢🤪🤪🤪🤬🤬🤬

Reactions: BaileyNiggles
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The reasoning behind such an arrangement is to provide better warning to following traffic when you are already at standstill at the end of a traffic jam, in particular on a motorway, where vehicles behind you may still be approaching at considerable speed.

Reactions: JTQ
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The reasoning behind such an arrangement is to provide better warning to following traffic when you are already at standstill at the end of a traffic jam, in particular on a motorway, where vehicles behind you may still be approaching at considerable speed.
I thought that the driver applying the hazard lights was the correct procedure. 😀

But I agree with Dusty that it’s still annoying when in traffic to sit behind a row of high intensity brake lights, especially when wet.

Reactions: BaileyNiggles
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
BUT as I found out tonight, when I stop and take my foot off the brake pedal, the handbrake applies but the brake lights stay on.
I don’t understand that. When I take my foot off the brake the car expects me to move.

When driving a manual I have always used the hand brake. But only do so now as this car is auto and the handbrake switch is poorly positioned.

John

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I don’t understand that. When I take my foot off the brake the car expects me to move.

When driving a manual I have always used the hand brake. But only do so now as this car is auto and the handbrake switch is poorly positioned.

John

You are confused, we are talking brakes here, not gears.

Many modern cars and especially VAG group have automatic brake hold. If the function is active (it is switchable) when you put you foot on the brake to slow down or stop - even on a hill - the brakes are automatically held on by the car systems. Foot on the clutch, put the car into gear, and as you release the clutch and the car starts to move the brakes are automatically released. Makes for a very easy life when towing!

As the brakes are help on as you wait so the rear brake lights will stay on.
Per an earlier comment, this function does not operate the 'handbrake' - it actually retains the system hydraulic pressure on all four discs. If you sit long enough - I've never timed it but about 2 minutes - you hear/feel the handbrake action cut in, the hydraulic pressure is released and the brake lights go off. You can manually invoke the handbrake at any time by flicking the handbrake switch.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My auto Touareg auto handbrake releases as soon as I touch the accelerator. I am sure I will discover more quirky items🤪.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
You are confused, we are talking brakes here, not gears.

Not confused one bit. I simply made two observations. The first was wondering why the OP’s handbrake applied automatically when they took their foot off the brake. Which is different than my car. But you have answered that thank you.

The observation regarding gears is quite separate. Hence why I used a different paragraph. I was pointing out why some people, including myself, who drive an auto car, may leave their foot on the brake, as brake lights being left on was the OP’s concern.

John

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our Jeep has a foot "hand" brake and I think it is brilliant. Pity more cars did not have them fitted. Used to be quite common in older cars from the fifties and sixties.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Our Jeep has a foot "hand" brake and I think it is brilliant. Pity more cars did not have them fitted. Used to be quite common in older cars from the fifties and sixties.

They're alright on an automatic, but a bit of a bind with manual transmission, especially if they don't incorporate a hill hold feature (which those of the fifties and sixties didn't).

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
They're alright on an automatic, but a bit of a bind with manual transmission, especially if they don't incorporate a hill hold feature (which those of the fifties and sixties didn't).

That was always my opinion until I had a Citroen XM manual. Surprisingly, Hill starts we’re fine once you got the hang of it. No hill hold feature either.

The first time I encountered one of these was when working in Germany in the 70‘s. Our German boss had parked blocking us Brits in. We got his keys to move it as he was drunk (which was normal). Nice bloke brilliant architect, but was suicidal and liked a drink far too much. Anyway, never seeing one before, none of us could work out how to move his Merc.

John

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Also had same problem with Chrysler K car in Washington. Plus once I sorted out the brake thingy I took it back as it seemed to intermittently loose power. It the air conditioning cutting in explained the Avis rep noticeable as the car was quite underpowered.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That is correct on automatic. I think on the manual the handbrake was under the dashboard, but I think you still had a foot pedal or "emergency brake". Not 100% sure.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just checked my Auto Sante Fe. When in Drive, I put on the Electronic parking brake, the brake lights go off. But when using the automatic parking brake, the brake lights stay on. IF I stop with auto brake active and then place Auto box into park, the Parking brake then comes on.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not confused one bit. I simply made two observations. The first was wondering why the OP’s handbrake applied automatically when they took their foot off the brake. Which is different than my car. But you have answered that thank you.

The observation regarding gears is quite separate. Hence why I used a different paragraph. I was pointing out why some people, including myself, who drive an auto car, may leave their foot on the brake, as brake lights being left on was the OP’s concern.

John
My VW handbrake can be manual or auto. In auto mode once stopped the handbrake applies. You can release the foot brake. H B stays on as does the brake lights. Touch the throttle and HB releases. Brake lights stay on whether or not you keep your foot on the brake pedal until you press the throttle.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No it isn't,I don't understand the reason people put on Hazard lights when stopping .
I use my hazard lights to warn following traffic that the traffic flow has come to an unexpected stop, in a hazardous spot. or perhaps your vehicle is broken down and you need to warn following traffic of the potential hazard. They should only be put on when statiionary apart from motorway or unrestricted dual carriageways..Rule 116. If I’m coming up to cars on a motorway where they have stopped or really slowed down I will turn mine on as my speed comes down and I’m approaching the traffic stream. Its all about making sure other motorists behind are aware if changed conditions which may not be just normal ebb and flow.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My VW handbrake can be manual or auto. In auto mode once stopped the handbrake applies. You can release the foot brake. H B stays on as does the brake lights. Touch the throttle and HB releases. Brake lights stay on whether or not you keep your foot on the brake pedal until you press the throttle.
Hello Dusty

I also have an auto hold braking system on my Passat. However it's not actually applying the hand brake, it works by maintaining the hydraulic pressure in the braking system used when I stop the car with teh foot brake . So its actually working on all four wheels.

You might find this helpful.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/driver-assist/braking

Just as an example, When I stop and apply the electronic Hand Brake, if you listen you can here motors running to apply or release them. I don't hear the motors when the Auto Hold is in use.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dusty

I also have an auto hold braking system on my Passat. However it's not actually applying the hand brake, it works by maintaining the hydraulic pressure in the braking system used when I stop the car with teh foot brake . So its actually working on all four wheels.

You might find this helpful.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/driver-assist/braking

Just as an example, When I stop and apply the electronic Hand Brake, if you listen you can here motors running to apply or release them. I don't hear the motors when the Auto Hold is in use.
Thanks Prof. I’m beginning to understand how the Germans made this car . Fact is brake lights stay on. A pet hate of yours🤪👍🤪

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No it isn't,I don't understand the reason people put on Hazard lights when stopping .

I will sometimes use my hazard lights if for example on a motorway where I have come up to slug of very slow moving or stationary traffic in my lane and I can see fast moving traffic approaching from behind. I hope it alerts the the following drivers about the hazard of slow or stationary traffic and causes them to brake sooner rater than later.

Some cars will automatically switch on the hazard lights if extreme braking has been used.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
When I drove lorries for a living I always found it useful when travelling on motorways, especially in bad weather, a line of hazard lights in the distance gave plenty of advance warning of slowing or stationary traffic ahead.
I rarely let anything on the roads irritate me, years of driving lorries taught me patience and that in terms of behaviour on the roads, if you expect the worst you're rarely disappointed.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I've had a 40 tonner rear end me at the end of a traffic jam. Ever since then I make sure to switch on the hazard warning lights whenever a see a need to slow down suddenly.

Reactions: JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts