Breadmaker

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone taken a breadmaker away in their van ? My husband is coeliac and quite often it is difficult to find gluten free bread if you are in a rural area unless you are prepared to travel to a large supermarket (not my idea of a holiday !). I make my own GF bread at home quite often. Hubby says it weighs too much - the breadmaker, not my bread !! I often taken a slow cooker which is great to come home to a ready cooked meal.

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
You post is now more than a year old but bread baking is a passion of mine. Personally I wouldn't use bread maker at all for any type of cooking!
All the attempts at using one has resulted in a loaf thats a little on the dense side. ideal for using as a way of stopping the awning flying away but as something to eat its a disaster.
GF breads are tricky at the best of times and a bread maker may not be suitable.
Your husband being Coeliac means a bread machine could cause him problems particularly if the machine is also used for wheat based products as any residue can cause a major problem.
I always make bread by hand and bake in a conventional oven. The actual hands on time in making a loaf is no more than 30 mins. A lot of the time is when the dough is rising or baking and needs no human intervention.
There is a theory that the rise in Coeliac disease maybe due to the modern factory bread making process supplying us with a partially fermented bread with lots of additives. The main method under suspicion is the Chorleywood Bread Process. Ive heard it maybe possible for coeliacs to eat properly made spelt flour breads. This can be made using a basic bread recipe using traditional methods and makes a loaf not far from real bread.
Maybe check this with the nutritionist at the Hospital before going ahead.
I have a few GF recipes but haven't really had the need to try them out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts