breakaway cable issues

Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
I shall do my best to explain the issue I have with the design of this on the bailey pageant we have.

The van end of the cable has a sort of hook arrangement on it so that it can be put through the eye which connects to the brakes. On our van the gap on the hook end of the cable is wide enough for the hook to come off the eye given the right circumstances i.e. the hook gets pushed the wrong way round so the gap is facing outwards. You might say ok close the gap - ah but then you couldn;t put it onto the eye part. Are you still with me??

Now you might ask how I discovered this could happen, well unhitched (peeing it down with rain) site owner standing there waiting for us to put the van on the pitch by mover not car as grass very wet - ask my wife to drive the car forward about a foot or so. Thought I'd disconnected the breakaway cable but hadn't - car moves cable goes starts to tighten wife stops car and then pop off comes the cable complete not broken. The brakes were on via hand brake.

O know people will say I should have checked but to err is to be human in the dark and the rain and with someone watching and waiting and getting wet. The brakes were already on and maybe the action of pulling up the handbrake moved the cable but what if the cable eye had stayed in that position when we packed up to leave. How many of us check the breakaway cable routing?

Surely there should be some way to close the gap - most similar cable and eye arrangements had a ring that sits inside the eye after its installed, i assume, and closes the gap.

Comments please.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Fit the cable to the van and use a pair of mole grips to close the 'hook arrangement'. You may have to adjust the grips a little at a time and squeeze them closed lots of times as it takes some effort to close the hook.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob,

I am not sure if I have fully understood your comments, but it seems to me that the cable assembly may have done what it is designed to do:

The idea behind the breakaway cable is that if the caravan detaches from the tow ball, then as the car and caravan begin to separate, the breakaway cable tensions. This should be enough to pull the handbrake lever on, but this will also cause the cable to tension even more. The links are designed to be strong enough to pull the brake lever but then to give and part so the car and caravan are not tied together.

It seems to me that the action of moving the car forward has caused the cable to stretch and break a link as designed.

Having had the cable activated in this way it should be replaced. Your caravan service centre should be able supply all necessary parts and any advice you need.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
The Alko carabina type of breakaway cable does not have the "keyring" type of ring to fix it to the bottom of the handbrake cable, it is supplied with a hook end exactly as Robfooty described. This has a gap to allow it to fit to the brake mechanism. The problem arises when whoever fits the cable does not close the hook sufficiently thereby alowing the possibility of the hook falling of the brake lever when the cable is slack. I think in Rob's case the cable had indeed fallen off and would not do the job it's designed to. Personally, I always check my cable by applying my foot and watching the handbrake move. I obviously then release the handbrake again!

Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
I shall as advised replace the breakaway cable, we have several caravan emporiums within easy reach. The consensus so far appears that I should close up the gap in 'the hook' bit after fitting the new cable. The metal on the hook is quite thick I'll give it a go with mole grips. We're going away for half term so I want it sorted by then.

thanks all.

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
I've just replaced mine on my bailey as I broke mine by setting of still attached. The one I've just fit is ebay item number 130238057471. Just the job and much better design than original. Thanks, Dan.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
There are two types of breakaway cables, 1 designed to clip into the eye on the tow bar & 1 designed to loop back & clip on to its self,if the cable fitted on your van is connected the wrong way it can breakaway before the brake is fully applied. The cable on the pagent is designed to loopback & clip to its self(as described in their handbook) if you are saying there is a gap between the hook & the spring/moving section of the clip then it is faulty

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts