Breakdown Cover Article

Oct 5, 2004
Visit site
Just received the latest subscriber edition of Practical Caravan and the article on breakdown cover caught my eye. It might be a "staged" situation but the main photo shows what looks like an RAC chap completing a wheel change. Except that he's using a trolley jack (not in itself a problem if used properly) but it appears to be jacking up on the chassis and also sitting on a chipped stone surface. The caravan isn't attached to a towcar but at least the steadys are down to help keep the van from moving. Not the best demonstration on how to do it.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have not read that yet but it looks wrong from what you say. I hope the magazine will put a correction in the next issue.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Just received the latest subscriber edition of Practical Caravan and the article on breakdown cover caught my eye. It might be a "staged" situation but the main photo shows what looks like an RAC chap completing a wheel change. Except that he's using a trolley jack (not in itself a problem if used properly) but it appears to be jacking up on the chassis and also sitting on a chipped stone surface. The caravan isn't attached to a towcar but at least the steadys are down to help keep the van from moving. Not the best demonstration on how to do it.
Yes, I noticed that as well. Looking at the photo again, I also notice that the corner steadies are still down......... I suppose that if the caravan did swing, the wall behind might impede its movement? (Might not do too much good to the rear panel though........)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sometimes I’ve jacked up the caravan without the car but had its nose wheel retracted into its slot and pointing straight ahead. Also had its hitch up against the house wall with a sheet of wood acting to stop the bricks abrading the stabiliser rubber cover. The legs would also be wound down / up as required.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i have also received my subscriber copy but not read it so far but i did see the bit about RAC completing a wheel change i also would agree it not the best demonstration too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts