Breakdown recovery services

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Now that I’m no longer a member of the CMHC I will be looking at breakdown recovery services for our two cars. The two main contenders are Green Flag and LV+ Britannia Of which Britannia is cheaper and both give European cover too on the premium policies. I steer clear of AA and RAC as my daughters renewal experiences were terrible. Significantly Increased prices which after a phone call to complain were reduced just like that.

Any experiences of either as I’ve never had to use Mayday Greenflag whilst in the CMHC.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
We have had (and still have) Greenflag mayday and have used 3 times over the years, all while on holiday, twice while towing. In all occasions they were excellent.
Twice (one solo, one towing) we had a failure on the tow car, and had it recovered to their local base where a mechanic was able to get us back on the road. Once while towing we had a blown turbo hose. They put the car on a transport with the caravan on the back and towed us from Conwy to Penrith to continue our holiday. They call ahead to the local Volvo dealer near our destination to order the part ahead. We were able to drive to the dealer from the CL (limp mode), have the part fitted and get back to the CL. Each time we were charged just workshop time and parts at what was a fairly reasonable rate.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I used green flag when the Kuga battery failed, the guy who came out was great, jump started car, couldn’t supply me with a new stop start there and then as didn’t have correct replacement, he then went on to say that he was making sure his control desk knew a replacement could not be bought until the following day which was good because if he hadn’t and the next morning it was flat again it wouldn’t be covered because if it needs rectification and as the owner I do nothing it wouldn’t be covered as I’d chosen not to have the fault sorted, hope this makes sense, all I can say he was extremely helpful and my membership is only what we get with our nat West Bank account.
BP

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Britannia rescue for me. Though I get CSMA discount. Been with them many years, UK service has always been good to very good. Only used them once on the continent. Poor and stressful. But that was mainly down to poor French response and difficulty calling and dealing with the German company (based in Sheffield) who sub contract the business in the rest of Europe. This was eventually sorted when CSMA overruled.

I imagine that both options would be similar as the both use local garages.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I guess that they both seem equally good so it will be down to the detailed scope of the cover provided and price.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Now that I’m no longer a member of the CMHC I will be looking at breakdown recovery services for our two cars. The two main contenders are Green Flag and LV+ Britannia Of which Britannia is cheaper and both give European cover too on the premium policies. I steer clear of AA and RAC as my daughters renewal experiences were terrible. Significantly Increased prices which after a phone call to complain were reduced just like that.

Any experiences of either as I’ve never had to use Mayday Greenflag whilst in the CMHC.
Why don't you stay with Mayday? Less hassle. When we were caravan less we simply renewed Mayday no questions asked even though at the time we did not belong to CAMC. Price is the same whether Green Flag or Mayday and we have 2 cars.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

I've used Green Flag three times - twice after accidents on a caravan holiday and once after a breakdown while solo - in each case they were superb, listening/accepting my mechanical assessment and sending a flatbed truck out directly rather than a patrol - the recoveries were then done in one trip rather than "relayed" to various service stations.

Whist recovery after an accident is covered by your car insurance, they won't cover the caravan if not being towed at the time - be aware that Green Flag direct has slightly different conditions to Mayday, eg size of caravan.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I guess that they both seem equally good so it will be down to the detailed scope of the cover provided and price.

I really do not think there will be much between them in the UK. Might be best to try and find out how they manage the European bit. My poor European experience was 6 years ago, they may well have changed their sub contractors now. My poor experience was all down to the French not being able to handle the caravan. If it was a straight forward breakdown it may ha e been trouble free.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I really do not think there will be much between them in the UK. Might be best to try and find out how they manage the European bit. My poor European experience was 6 years ago, they may well have changed their sub contractors now. My poor experience was all down to the French not being able to handle the caravan. If it was a straight forward breakdown it may ha e been trouble free.

John
No longer having a caravan it just comes down to which provider is likely to be the better for car issues. Both seem to have a good record in UK. Mayday doesn’t offer European cover although Green Flag and Britannia do. I had a friend who was in Dublin on holiday when he was hospitalised with what was thought to be a heart attack. But the Dublin hospital diagnosed a dodgy pacemaker. They removed his pacemaker and fitted a new one. But he wasn’t cleared for driving home. So Britannia recovered his car. That went well. So like most things I will have to weigh up the information and then decide which one to choose.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Why don't you stay with Mayday? Less hassle. When we were caravan less we simply renewed Mayday no questions asked even though at the time we did not belong to CAMC. Price is the same whether Green Flag or Mayday and we have 2 cars.

I have looked at Mayday and Greenflag prices for two cars, home call, and with the second car being driven mostly by my wife (Greenflag question), no European cover. For Mayday it is £130 and for Greenflag Recovery plus it is £88.48. But looking at the scope of supply Mayday offer more than does Greenflag Plus. Britannia for Comprehensive cover (equates to Greenflags Recovery Plus) on one car plus personal cover that extends cover to any car being driven by myself and my wife is £95 Greenflag offer Personal Cover (£84) but the website isn't clear on whether that covers the policyholder and partner/wife to drive any car, or just the policyholder. A paragon of clarity. Britannia Deluxe which is very similar to Mayday but also includes cover in Europe is £110.

So I am probably going to select Britannia Deluxe when my present mayday expires.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have looked at Mayday and Greenflag prices for two cars, home call, and with the second car being driven mostly by my wife (Greenflag question), no European cover. For Mayday it is £130 and for Greenflag Recovery plus it is £88.48. But looking at the scope of supply Mayday offer more than does Greenflag Plus. Britannia for Comprehensive cover (equates to Greenflags Recovery Plus) on one car plus personal cover that extends cover to any car being driven by myself and my wife is £95 Greenflag offer Personal Cover (£84) but the website isn't clear on whether that covers the policyholder and partner/wife to drive any car, or just the policyholder. A paragon of clarity. Britannia Deluxe which is very similar to Mayday but also includes cover in Europe is £110.

So I am probably going to select Britannia Deluxe when my present mayday expires.
If going on the continent without a caravan I wonder if it is still worth using Red Pennant?

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Been with Green Flag for some years now . At moment would not change. Had a weird noise from underneath and had further 80+ miles to go. Called GF out and he got right under car to examine problem . The weather was freezing and he resolved problem . Next ,down a Cornish village road on a bend when the nearside caravan wheel went down a pot hole, in doing so the motor mover jammed into the wheel and we could not move . Rang GF and my satnav would not give correct position but they worked it out with questions and he got to us about hour later. Got us moving again with one wheel u/s and bent mover spindle.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Being a
Been with Green Flag for some years now . At moment would not change. Had a weird noise from underneath and had further 80+ miles to go. Called GF out and he got right under car to examine problem . The weather was freezing and he resolved problem . Next ,down a Cornish village road on a bend when the nearside caravan wheel went down a pot hole, in doing so the motor mover jammed into the wheel and we could not move . Rang GF and my satnav would not give correct position but they worked it out with questions and he got to us about hour later. Got us moving again with one wheel u/s and bent mover spindle.
Being able to identify your location quickly could be a life saver. There are numerous methods for use on mobile phones.

Google Earth gives your longitude and latitude.

Google Maps shows your location. Press on your location to drop a pin. The pin shows latitude and longitude.

OS Locate shows your position wrt grid references.

What3Words gives the description of your position

I have all on my phone. It’s not your day if none work.

The cars satnav is independent of mobile signals and will have a setting to identify your current location.

Reactions: Robert_374373903
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Being a

Being able to identify your location quickly could be a life saver. There are numerous methods for use on mobile phones.

Google Earth gives your longitude and latitude.

Google Maps shows your location. Press on your location to drop a pin. The pin shows latitude and longitude.

OS Locate shows your position wrt grid references.

What3Words gives the description of your position

I have all on my phone. It’s not your day if none work.

The cars satnav is independent of mobile signals and will have a setting to identify your current location.
However if you are in an area where mobile signal is poor, you have a problem. Had this 2 years ago at an accident and we could not contact police.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
However if you are in an area where mobile signal is poor, you have a problem. Had this 2 years ago at an accident and we could not contact police.
I did say that “ it’s not your day if none work”. But at least some work on gps alone but may not show the map layers, but you can save that location description pending success with the phone signal. Like “share” it with a passing motorist who can then drive to a phone signal. It’s not a perfect world but looking back to when at 17 I first ventured to Switzerland driving my dads car, and for years afterwards you only had phone boxes, some emergency roadside phones or you walked to a house, bar etc to ask if they could help. But back then not everyone had a landline. So today’s dilemma isn’t such a big deal..

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I did say that “ it’s not your day if none work”. But at least some work on gps alone but may not show the map layers, but you can save that location description pending success with the phone signal. Like “share” it with a passing motorist who can then drive to a phone signal. It’s not a perfect world but looking back to when at 17 I first ventured to Switzerland driving my dads car, and for years afterwards you only had phone boxes, some emergency roadside phones or you walked to a house, bar etc to ask if they could help. But back then not everyone had a landline. So today’s dilemma isn’t such a big deal..
In our case it was serious accident in the middle fo nowhere in Wales and we were also on an unfamiliar road when a young lady on a motorcycle lost control on a bend and hit a car head on. Luckily neither were going very fast.
We were first on scene and when we could not get in touch, OH went to cars at rear os us and asked if one could turn around and go to a good signal area. A young man volunteered.
As luck would have it shortly after he left and off duty paramedic arrived in his private car so helped stabilise the young lady until police and ambulance arrived.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Re my not able to tell where we were. GF asked How far off the main road have you come .answered, what village have you passed .Answered. Are you on a bend which goes to the left, see you in a hour.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
With my car in the RAC my caravan is with Arrival RAC breakdown cover C&CC we have been with them for some time now very happy with the service so far not needed yet :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
With my car in the RAC my caravan is with Arrival RAC breakdown cover C&CC we have been with them for some time now very happy with the service so far not needed yet :)
We tried RAC Arrival but found them to be very expensive in comparison to Mayday. With top level cover from Mayday for tow cars is £130. For same level of cover RAC wanted £190. However if you are happy paying RAC the extra, your choice. LOL! :D

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We tried RAC Arrival but found them to be very expensive in comparison to Mayday. With top level cover from Mayday for tow cars is £130. For same level of cover RAC wanted £190. However if you are happy paying RAC the extra, your choice. LOL! :D
I managed to be pleased with the deal with RAC as car already with them, just paid the extra amount so can't complain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts