brittainy ferries poole

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lee, I live in Poole and use the ferry regularly. There is no problem turning up early as there are only two Brittany ferries per day and the waiting area is large. If you arrive before the check in is open then pull to the LH side of the waiting area and when the staff arrive they will direct you to the correct lane. It is all fairly laid back and hassle free.

It is best to approach on the A350 via Hamworthy, rather than via the town and lifting bridge, but in either case it is not a problem. There is a small snack bar at the waiting area with toilets and money can be changed in the foot passenger booking in building which is 100m or so stroll from the waiting area.

any other bspecific questions then please feel free to ask.

Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Like my near namesake Ray C I live not too far from Poole and use the service regularly. By and large it is pretty good. The vessel Barfleur is perhaps the smallest of the brittany fleet, but handles rough weather pretty well - better, for it's size - than Pont Aven from Portsmouth.

Agree the best approach road is through Upton on A 350 and not through poole itself -confusing lane markings if you don't know it.

There is a good parking area at Cherbourg dockside where many people spend the night (but do lock your doors - some don't).

The worse bit of the whole thing is nothing to do with Poole or Brittany, it is getting to or leaving Poole particularly from the north or west. The A 350 round shaftsbury is just terrible. The alternatives to the north west via Blandford are no better, and the easiest drive is via Dorchester and Yeovil. Perhaps going east to Salisbury area is better.

I usually come home arriving around 22.00 at Poole and the best time I have ever done to Wincanton area is nearly 2 hours for just less than 50 miles. Frankly, from the north or west, it is much easier to do the extra miles to Portsmouth.

TRENDING THREADS