BT HELP

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
anyone on here got BT Broadband and BT tv who’s ok to have your brains picked probably later this evening as got dog to walk yet and some chores as wife not fully mobile after her op, tv and broadband not live until tomorrow, but looking at the bits I’ve received I’ve got a Hub 2 and a tv box, telephone socket is in the kitchen with no way I can run a lead from kitchen to lounge where the tv box will be, part of the set up is an Ethernet connection from hub to tv box, they are going to send me a mini connector which sounds like might work with no physical connection from tv box to hub so I’m thinking maybe it acts as a wireless connection to the tv box, any of this make sense, if I get messed about the whole lot will go back pronto.
BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not really clear on the system being proposed. But our router hub sits in the hall and handles everything by WiFi. That’s Freesat box, tv, Apple TV, MAC, printer, phones and IPad and Hive. Minimal cabling required. Speeds 36 download, 9.6 upload. More than adequate for our needs

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The tv box isn’t WiFi but bt are sending a part tomorrow that they tell me will solve the problem of having to run an Ethernet lead to the router, if the part they send doesn’t allow a connection via WiFi I’ll send the whole lot and probably go for either free view or sky I’ve not decided yet but it’ll depend on the gizmo they send tomorrow.

BP

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Just confirm, is the socket in the kitchen the main socket where the landline enters the house? If not you need to find that presentation point as it is (ideally at least) where your router should be connected.
If the kitchen socket is the main then the only real option you have is to use powerline units that will run the router Ethernet connection to a remote point (e.g. the lounge) using the mains wiring in the house. I doubt however this is what BT will supply - more likely they will send a USB wireless dongle to plug into the TV box so that it can work on the router's wi-fi signal. You can get powerline units from Currys or the like for less than about £30. I would suggest that you do NOT initially get one that has its own wifi at the remote end, just a simple plug-in pair such as the TP-L PA4010 or PA7017 units - or if you must have BT then the Extender Flex 600 but I cannot say whether they are worth the extra money. I can however can confirm from personal experience that the 4010 pair do work and over long cables at that! If you are short of mains sockets in the kitchen then get the plug-through PA8010 units. You can use more than one remote end with TPL kit, so if at some later time you find the wi-fi is poor upstairs you can buy a pair of the WPA4220 units and mate the wifi end unit to the original system to improve the coverage upstairs plus you can plug your PC or laptop into one if its Ethernet sockets to give you a faster and secure feed.

If you want more help PM me and I'll do what I can.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts