Buccaneer WiFi equipment

Oct 3, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew what kit Buccaneer was using on it’s 2022 range for mobile internet/wifi? I’m trying to decide if it’s worth getting it or sourcing my own antenna/router as I would like to work from the caravan and am just about to order a Barracuda. Thanks for any advice/hints/tips.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew what kit Buccaneer was using on it’s 2022 range for mobile internet/wifi? I’m trying to decide if it’s worth getting it or sourcing my own antenna/router as I would like to work from the caravan and am just about to order a Barracuda. Thanks for any advice/hints/tips.
We use our Three phone as a hot spot and it seems to work okay for us on all, the sites we have used over the past few years. We have Unlimited data for £20 a month.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
As it is so new and no vans in ownership yet I think you need to ask a dealer or Elddis direct. We use our phone as Buckman in our 2020 van.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Exactly as Buckman. Bt for us though. Unlimited data for £20 per month and hotspot it. Works perfectly. Why buy expensive gear when you already have something as good. And you dont need to make a hole in the van.

Nov 19, 2021
Visit site
Hello all I am new to the site but not to the world of caravans and we have just ordered the new 2022 Buccaneer Bermuda foe delivery hopefully April/May depending on build times etc?
The reason I am replying to you is one of my options is on board wifi and I have done some major research including talking with Hymer. First off I too have 3 unlimited internet and like all of you have said correctly for around £20 a month is very cheap as the in board wifi is around £350 pounds from Hymer fitted. However as in all wifi or mifi system's it depends in your reception area. 3 are good but their coverage isnt great the best all round coverage for GB is EE. Most of you like myself will have the blue circle routinely interrupting your viewing whilst using your phone this is because as well as supplying a signal to your steaming channel the phone is constantly updating other data and apps running in the background which u thought u had isolated but there still running. On test a mifi or mobile wifi its the same thing with an independent receiver won't have this problem so will increase your signal by 40 to 50 % again depending in where you are. Now for the nitty gritty Hymer in board wifi is £350 I can not ascertain the make or the pug antenna they are using but it offers 2g 3g and 4 g wifi connection. The best mifi receiver on the market IMO atm is the Netgear 4g router mr1100 which runs upto 20 connections and has 1 Gbps costs £275 from Amazon the Mr 2100 has 2 Gbps at £375
and for the wealthy theres the 5G ready Wifi 6 at £724.99 which will get you 5 g connections but pls remember most 5G antenna,s are only fitted in cities so IMO not worth using atm? The roof mounted antenna or puck is around £72.58 and Raymond James caravans have quoted £100 to fit it as they are fitting the aircon as well? So its your call I am still awaiting feedback on the factory fitted version but will keep you updated?
I will say there are lots of caravan U tubers who have posted some great information on this subject so you can decide as its a big investment and needs lots of research. Enjoy the new season all.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I must admit I never think about WiFi when going away in the caravan. TV we either just use the Terestrial tv, Or the digi box recorded stuff.
We went away with another couple, to a site , (the Baron of Beef) that had no WiFi or phone signal, my mates wife was disraught, after the first night, On the way into Ludlow, her phone was pining all the time. They went home after 4 days, instead of the week. Paranoid about being away from Messenger, Facebook etc.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I must admit I never think about WiFi when going away in the caravan. TV we either just use the Terestrial tv, Or the digi box recorded stuff.
We went away with another couple, to a site , (the Baron of Beef) that had no WiFi or phone signal, my mates wife was disraught, after the first night, On the way into Ludlow, her phone was pining all the time. They went home after 4 days, instead of the week. Paranoid about being away from Messenger, Facebook etc.
Wifi is very useful for those of us able to go away for longer periods as it's not possible to pre-empt all financial/investment transactions as well as hospital appointments, in our case for up to 7 weeks - we also use it to keep up-to-date with rare bird reports as we're keen twitchers.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Wifi is very useful for those of us able to go away for longer periods as it's not possible to pre-empt all financial/investment transactions as well as hospital appointments, in our case for up to 7 weeks - we also use it to keep up-to-date with rare bird reports as we're keen twitchers.
The WiFi is not important to us as when away we end up going somewhere that our normal phone signal gives us, the email and other contacts.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
If the OP is considering a Barracuda it suggests he is prepared to drill a hole in the roof? In which case look at the Poynting Puck 2 as sold by Solwise for about £60. Looks pretty capable to me and is very small.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The WiFi is not important to us as when away we end up going somewhere that our normal phone signal gives us, the email and other contacts.
We are not bothered whether the site has wifi or not and if we can get a cell phone signal we regard it as a bonus. We have never used Messenger and have no idea what it is. Neither of us get notifications from FB so another bonus.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
For my laptop i have this 4GEE WiFi / Pay as you go /EE data sims gives you 4G speed and data allowance so far it worked great .

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I must be in the minority of people on this forum in as much as I never use FB at all, at home or away and we have never taken a TV away with us, I take my iPad to check on emails if there is a signal, if there’s no signal which is very rare as I’ve got EE I wait until we are out and I update my mail, I go away to get away from all the tech that runs one’s life and enjoy not hearing multiple pings from various gadgets for the time we are away, I enjoy peace and quiet when away and see the sites around where we are staying, it’s a chance to read a book and enjoy long conversations, years ago my wife was on FB and she pointed out to me how a friend of hers when away or at home would only talk to each other by sending messages to each other on FB, I think people have lost the pleasure of each other’s company and how to talk instead of tap tap.

BP

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
You are not the only one who doesn't and/or refuses to use social media. My only exception is WhatsApp as if you establish contact only communication you can send pictures at no additional cost (unlike being diverted into MMS if you try to send one with a text) and you can use it as a free phone, sound or video, worldwide.

I find it annoying that (1) the metrocentric classes assume everyone has a smartphone and wishes to use apps to access everything and (2) the increasingly large number of organisations that no longer even give an e-mail address or phone number making everyone use Twitter or Instagram (or similar) to contact them - publicly - without realising the damage they are doing to their own reputations and business.

I notice (and didn't know) that Tesla owners can use an app on their phone to unlock their car and to start it once inside. The system went down last night (21:40GMT) for over an hour and owners who rely upon the app couldn't get into their cars. (Smug smile.)

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I notice (and didn't know) that Tesla owners can use an app on their phone to unlock their car and to start it once inside. The system went down last night (21:40GMT) for over an hour and owners who rely upon the app couldn't get into their cars. (Smug smile.)

The Tesla owners weren't locked out - they could use their key card as an alternative.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On FB I belong to two Buccaneer caravan groups, adult only group and Retired Caravanners Association groups. I do not have any friends listed on FB and do not use FB for communication. We use Whatsapp to speak to the kids and grandchildren in South Africa as cheaper than using a phone. Hardly ever use any other apps and definitely do not have a banking app on our phones,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts