Build Quality AgainπŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
September CAMC magazine includes an excellent test of the Bailey Unicorn Cadiz latest model. Bailey provided the Club with an β€œ early pre production model” whatever that is??
I quote the journalist
β€œ There were some noticeable panel gapping issues especially around both of the little curved overhead lockers at the front end”.
I must be losing it.πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«. When one of the biggest circulation caravan magazines asks for a demo model wouldn’t you think the manufacturer would fully vet it first for faultsπŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ˜œπŸ˜œπŸ˜œ

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
September CAMC magazine includes an excellent test of the Bailey Unicorn Cadiz latest model. Bailey provided the Club with an β€œ early pre production model” whatever that is??
I quote the journalist
β€œ There were some noticeable panel gapping issues especially around both of the little curved overhead lockers at the front end”.
I must be losing it.πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«. When one of the biggest circulation caravan magazines asks for a demo model wouldn’t you think the manufacturer would fully vet it first for faultsπŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ˜œπŸ˜œπŸ˜œ
Could it be corporate arrogance? I think Thingy was warned by his dealer to wait a while for his new one until they had sorted out the initial production issues. But giving a magazine anything less than A1 when it comes to fit and finish is quite unbelievable, even if it were pre production.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I have to say I thought the same-madness-preproduction model-should be even better than the production one if they're letting a magazine test it!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I doubt the gaps would be a problem later. This preproduction model would be a one off to check how everything worked and never intended for sale. I know that Baileys can have problems, but suggesting the problem here would be the norm later is simply not sensible. This was a one off preproduction model which was more of a test bed than anything else, and may even be slightly different to the ones put up for sale.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I doubt the gaps would be a problem later. This preproduction model would be a one off to check how everything worked and never intended for sale. I know that Baileys can have problems, but suggesting the problem here would be the norm later is simply not sensible. This was a one off preproduction model which was more of a test bed than anything else, and may even be slightly different to the ones put up for sale.
But I think Thingy was told by his dealer to let the early production models go as there were problems in some of them.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
One-off pre-production models are normally built by hand and "should" therefore be a higher quality than those built in volume afterwards. It's also normal that models provided to the press are inspected and fettled to a much higher standard than regular production.

You may feel that this is acceptable but most wouldn't.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I quote the journalist

It's not uncommon for a manufacturer to send pre-production models out for review. The car industry has done this on many occasions, but as part of the process they usually brief the journalists about shortcomings or variances so the review can be fairer about any defects. But these tend to be small things like the colour of trims or the choice of fabric It's not ususually fundament problems with construction.

I do not take the publication so I can't comment about the actual editorial content, but I would have hoped any deficiencies would have been explained so a more balanced view could be gleaned.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It's not uncommon for a manufacturer to send pre-production models out for review. The car industry has done this on many occasions, but as part of the process they usually brief the journalists about shortcomings or variances so the review can be fairer about any defects. But these tend to be small things like the colour of trims or the choice of fabric It's not ususually fundament problems with construction.

I do not take the publication so I can't comment about the actual editorial content, but I would have hoped any deficiencies would have been explained so a more balanced view could be gleaned.
CAMC magazine has a circulation in excess of 350k to well seasoned prime caravan purchasers. I attached the printed document as is. The fact remains in my view never hang out your dirty washing. My wife used to work for a major bag less vacuum cleaner company. All prototypes and pre production models were tested at home by hundreds of staff. No way would the owner let the press loose on something not fit for purpose or flawed.

Reactions: otherclive
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I was indeed told that by the dealer but I have some doubts as to the accuracy of it. As I was putting the order in (they knew weeks beforehand that was my intention), they spent an awful lot of effort trying to persuade me to have the 2021 Unicron Black, which turns out they have been caught with a few of them left. They also had a few Swift models at the time that they were trying to shift quickly.

My feelings are that it was as much an effort to clear old stock. However, if it turns to be the Friday afternoon pig, it will be rejected tout suite under the CRA. After the debacle of the replacement panoramic window, it will be checked minutely.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
But I think Thingy was told by his dealer to let the early production models go as there were problems in some of them.
We ordered our previous 2016 caravan in 2016 and delivery was July 2016 and it was a load of poo built from left over parts. Our current caravan was ordered in Aug 2017 before prices were even released.
It was well built with only a few minor issues. Others who had their 2018 caravans delivered in 2018 had issues, some serious. We are of the opinion that after a couple of months the workers get tired of doing the same thing day in and day out and get "lazy" about quality.
Also the number crunchers have a say and only allocate a specific number of parts i.e if building 100 caravans they will order exactly 400 screws without compensating for some screws going missing. If screws do go missing the worker gets penalised so worker decides to keep quiet about missing screws and just build the caravan with less screws. Just a hypothetical scenario.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I see Elddis are building a new quality control and psi hangar/unit at their Consett factory. Bodes well? Ours is still spot on. Over 70nights away in it this year and we love it.

Reactions: Mel and Dustydog
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do wonder if those who built it did this not realising it might be released to the press. If so minor fit problems which would not get into a production model might be left as they were although possibly it was a mistake to let it out. Probably the only real effect will be to make club members looking to purchase one, examine it more carefully though.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I see Elddis are building a new quality control and psi hangar/unit at their Consett factory. Bodes well? Ours is still spot on. Over 70nights away in it this year and we love it.
Sounds like you are enjoying your seasonal pitch and many more to come :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts