Buying advice

Mar 28, 2021
Visit site
Wife and I put a deposit down on a 2007 Abbey Spectrum 535 from a reputable dealer with good reviews. Had only just come on market but was told in good condition. No damp.
Inspected it yesterday and found bit of damp bottom of front window 22% and a bit 40% on to of upper rear left hand wall near back. Looked outside where that was and found a bit of spotting below with very fine bubbles where had been painted over. Dealer said must have missed that but thinks it not damp but something to do with the paint repair.
He said caravan will be going in for a proper pre sale service and inspection. If damp is to be found they will reseal any areas of concern. Is this enough reassurance for us to continue with the sale (plus the 6 month warrany it comes with - although no idea yet what warranty cover and how works in principle).
We're seasonal pitch caravanners so site will be many miles from dealer although was told can get things fixed locally if required.
Got burnt before via a local sale but thought the dealer route would be a better option this time around.
Have a follow up call tomorrow when we decide so seeing if any useful advice here as what to do or say. Thanks!

Attached pic of area but not great photo. It's near the 535 numbering.

Attachments

• 535.jpg
    535.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 21
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Walk away and keep looking, I'd be very suspicious of any dealer that claims not to have spotted the dodgy repair, you obviously have concerns from your posting, just keep looking until you find a good one.

Reactions: Peckham Cod
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Think carefully before continuing with this purchase, once you have bought this van you will be taking on all its' problems and if not corrected properly will be even harder to deal with on site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A caravan that has had damp, is always a concern, and of course should have a lower price. but if the repairs have been done to a good standard then it mighty be fine, but still not worth as much as truly dry caravan.

I do recommend that to gain greater confidence especially with a second hand caravan, to have an independant caravan engineer do a pre purchase inspection to report on the condition of the whole caravan. It may cost a little but it can save a lot.

Its also a test of the honesty of the seller, if a seller is not prepared to have your inspector look at the caravan, then it raises the question why and should prompt you to walk away.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I personally would walk away and keep looking. Where the sandwich starts to bubble, I've always understood that is a sign of long term damp.

Keep looking you've shown that you know what you are looking for.

Then as the prof says use an independent engineer to confirm there is no damp, and not use one to confirm there is damp, that, you already know.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
As all the others have said, there are lots of caravans out there without damp. It also depends on how long you wish to keep the van, and how cheap it is. There are pro's and cons.
If they will seal /repair damp, and it will suit yourselves, and the price is right, maybe an ok, as it is a static, It is hard to say really without seeing the van. . A van with damp at least £1000, to £ 2000 off.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would be wary, if you get a 40% reading that has to be damp getting in somewhere. and if long standing could mean he wood there needs replacing. A good dealer repair should be safe but as they seem to have missed the obvious and still seem to be saying it is not damp, my feeling is that it is best left alone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts