Buying Pre '92 Caravan without registration papers?

Vin

Feb 26, 2022
Visit site
Hi all,

My family and I are looking at buying a semi-converted catering caravan for a very low price. However, some red flags have arisen, such as it having no registration documents, the serial number cannot be found. The seller is an elderly couple who did it up as a project after having it sit on a farm for many years and it is not CRIS registered. The only documents we have is some very old handbook and specification. Due to it being a 1986 Compass, it was not automatically registered and we're not sure what to do.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The caravan is now 36 years old, and whilst there a many examples of old caravans being used, they have generally been very well cared for hence then lasting this long.

It's a common enough situation for lots of old things, and you have to have a degree of trust in the seller. But the fact that you are questioning the sale suggests you have some suspicions that it might not be kosha.

There is no official recording of caravan ownership (unlike motor vehicles) and the CRIS scheme is only voluntary, and even having CRIS number proves nothing about its ownership.

Ultimately whether to buy or not is your decision, but I do agree there are certain aspects of what you have told us that do raise questions in my mind about the wisdom of purchasing it.

FIrstly if its been partly modified, how do you know that the work has been carried out to a good standard?. Caravan bodies often use internal structures like the bed and wardrobe frames to provide an element of structural integrity. If these have been removed or damaged the caravan body could be quite unsafe and might not be strong enough or true. Also any conversion work could have damaged water seals. Perhaps the remains of the caravan are affected by damp. which in a caravan of that age is definitely not good news

Secondly, is there a sustainable good reason why the conversion wasn't completed?. Does it seem probable the sellers were ever likely to start such a conversion? Or is it a story made up to explain the condition?

I think there are enough uncertainties to make me walk away. Perhaps you should do the same?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don't think caravans prior to 1990 had a CRIS or VIn number only a serial number and as stated there is no need to register a caravan. However if you are going to use it on the road although not compulsory it would be wise to insure it. The issue here is that the caravan is no longer standard and will be difficult to insure. Perhaps best to walk away?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The removal of the serial number is a potential warning sign but having said that it does mean that it is also impossible for anyone to now prove its history unless there s some photo documentation. The sellers would need to show some acceptable proof of ownership though before I would even consider it.
I do find it difficult to understand why an elderly couple would have this part conversion another red flag.
I do tend to agree with the Prof in his advice though and that the partial conversion which presumably required furniture removing can have affected the structural integrity, is a big no for me and on that basis alone I would avoid it.
I am not sure if his is some sort of scam or not, but it sounds all wrong to me.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I should have emphasised more strongly regardless of its legal ownership, the partial conversion leaves a lot of unknowns about its structure. To repair it you would need to be very diligent in finding all the necessary structural requirements, and you would be surprised how much it costs to find all the small fittings and appliances to fit out a caravan. I'd guess to undo the conversion and return it to a more conventional caravan is likely to cost more than finding an un modified caravan of similar age in reasonable condition.

However if your reason for looking at this caravan is to have a project to restore it to its original condition and where the work to renovate it is the primary interest rather than using it as a caravan, then perhaps it might be worth it.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
We presume you wish to turn it back to a holiday/touring caravan, but like others I think an intact van that perhaps needs a bit of tlc would be a better bet than a part converted unknown

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts