Cable TV on sites

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Over the past several years we have used campsites in Spain which had the facility of English TV on hook-ups on the electric bollards similar to used on the caravan club sites in the UK. We are thinking of going to France next year, though no particular region in mind. Has anyone come across this TV facilty on French campsites?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Over the last 5 years staying at many sites in France, never seen anything like that, but we dont stay at large sites normally municiple or a max of 3 star sites.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've not seen any sites in France that offer this, although I too use the smaller ones. Unless they are very sure of many UK visitors on a regular basis, I don't see many sites going to this expense, particularly as you can get all UK TV on-line so long as the bandwidth is moderate to good. The website most use is Filmon.com - BBC bar the TViplayer.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I suspect somehow that the last contribution is not from someone in the UK especially as the hyperlink is to a US site related to US streaming sites priced in USD.

Streaming can be made to work but the broadband on most camp sites is nothing like fast or robust enough to support the demand from the residents. You might also have to set up a VPN (Virtual Private Network - another cost) to be able to watch streaming services you have signed up for at home - any BBC site is a typical example.

Reactions: Parksy

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I suspect somehow that the last contribution is not from someone in the UK especially as the hyperlink is to a US site related to US streaming sites priced in USD
Your suspicion was well founded Woodentop.
The post was spam and I've removed it and it's author from this forum 😉

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
I've never understood the serious requirement to watch telly abroad. (although we have one in.) If the weather is good - and usually it is, we are sat out. If push really does come to shove, and we are 'confined' with a monsoon or similar, we will watch a DVD.

I watched a very large German motorhome pitch up once, and the very first thing they did, was fire up the dish on the roof. Ten minutes later, he moved pitch over the way from us, obviously no signal. Tried the dish again....no good, so he was off. Or so i thought, On exiting the site later, i found him near the gate on a more open pitch. All set up...watching Coronation-strasse, despite the lovely day outside his hermetically sealed monster truck.

• Haha
Reactions: Parksy
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've never understood the serious requirement to watch telly abroad. (although we have one in.) If the weather is good - and usually it is, we are sat out. If push really does come to shove, and we are 'confined' with a monsoon or similar, we will watch a DVD.

Each to their own, :innocent: Perhaps some people can't understand your methods and preferences.:mad:

I watched a very large German motorhome pitch up once, and the very first thing they did, was fire up the dish on the roof. Ten minutes later, he moved pitch over the way from us, obviously no signal. Tried the dish again....no good, so he was off. Or so i thought, On exiting the site later, i found him near the gate on a more open pitch. All set up...watching Coronation-strasse, despite the lovely day outside his hermetically sealed monster truck.

I believe he may have been a TV critic who took his holiday a day early to save on the ferry crossing, but he still had to review his quota or programmes :devilish:

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
Just saying....its a long and expensive way to go to watch telly! I suppose the view out of the 'front room' window changes though. So i have to concede that. But, i have seen one French caravan with a telly bigger than his front window!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Perhaps he had poor eyesight, and was using a camera to enlarge the view out of his front window?o_O

All the time we caravanned we never used a TV, preferring to see what out there, or if it was getting dark, it was family board games, or perhaps sharing a meal with others. But that was our choice.

There were others on site who as you say, preferred to watch TV. I couldn't tell their nationality and I don't think that really matters. As long as they weren't causing anyone a problem that's fine. The only time there was a problem was when someone had the volume up so loud with the windows open you could clearly hear it a couple of caravans away. Fortunately they moved on the next morning.

May 17, 2020
Visit site
We’ve stayed at a number of sites across France, including an Adults only site run by an English couple. I’ve never seen a hook up for a cable TV.

We usually take a TV overseas, but I’m yet to get it out of the storage cupboard, preferring to stream English radio or just listen to music and enjoying the change of scenery.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts