Calor Gas Prices

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It’s a year since I last replaced the Calor 15 kg butane cylinder for the workshop heater.
An eye watering £45!
Think I need some thicker jumpers😉😉

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Have you considered a SafeFill or other refillable cylinder. LPG costs around 70p per litre.
I have two SafeFills now, a 7.5kg one for the caravan and a 10kg one for the gas BBQ at home.
After the next two refills of my caravan cylinder and after the next refill of my BBQ cylinder I will have recouped the initial cost of both bottles.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think the SafeFill is a good option. I have not bothered myself though, simply because I am a low user and, so far I have managed to get CalorLite. but in the future, who knows.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think the SafeFill is a good option. I have not bothered myself though, simply because I am a low user and, so far I have managed to get CalorLite. but in the future, who knows.

John
I am the same, especially if we give up caravanning in the next couple of years.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Im on Safefill now. Cant fault it. First two fills under £8.50 each and holds more than Calor. Win win as far as I'm concerned.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I to don"t use much gas still got a 6kg CalorLite and it fairly full and 3.9 propane but you never know might change to safefill and give it a try

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Two things have to be in place and one continue to be, for Safefill gas to be even a consideration.
One you have to acquire a Safefill bottle, the second there needs to be provision at one or more places where needed, to fill & refill it.

The first might well be resolved and there is in addition the used market place, but at least for us, the second requirement is not conveniently available and here has been progressively shrinking.
With the sales volumes of LPG for automotive use a decreasing requirement, I can't see it lasting as a forecourt product line. The taxi market might support a few independents, but even that needs one living near large enough conurbations for there to be a viable size taxi fleet, and its use in that market to be on going in sufficient numbers.
I certainly don't think the volume taken by us or our motorhoming sector with their factory fitted gas tanks, will persuade the multi nationals to change track and reinstall LPG pumps.

Sadly, what could be great for us, simply is not viable now and destined to be increasingly unavailable. I have settled to using exchanges, but reverted to using a commercial size bottle, not the more convenient leisure sizes; sad to give up exchanging my favoured 10 kg Gaslights as there the prices have rocketed uniquely disproportionately.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There are many outlets used by farmers etc that will not close. Although not in great abundance, there are still many LPG converted vehicles on the road.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
According to the RAC

There is less than 1% of all cars powered by LPG.
There's just 1 LPG car for sale on Autotrader, and that's a grey import from Japan - whewther dual fuel or aftermarket conversions, LPG cars were always rare - with no recent conversions they'll be even rarer.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The trouble with Calor is they have a monopoly, have a very good retail network and transport from refinery to depots to retailers and /or on to customers and campsites. That probably explains the prices. The calor fire warms the workshop rapidly. Two 15 kgs last the winter . Can’t see the point in chan to safefil

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We use so little gas these days that the price is not a worry although it may pay to shop around when you need some.
However with the huge increase in the price of electric many sites will probably install metering which will come at a cost. Using gas for hot water and the fridge may be a better option. Unfortunately using ags for heating may not be an option as you wil use approximately 6kgs on gas in 3 -4 days if you are not careful. BTW our fridge seems to work better on gas than electric and cools down quicker.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sorry Ray but Calor do not have a monopoly. There are other suppliers the public can use.
Although you may be correct about not having a complete monopoly it makes you wonder why one can't you get other suppliers on the majority of camping sites? Also dealerships seem to only stock Calor gas bottles.
IMHO they probably use bully boy tactics and other tactics to ensure that only their gas bottles are available at many places.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Although you may be correct about not having a complete monopoly it makes you wonder why one can't you get other suppliers on the majority of camping sites? Also dealerships seem to only stock Calor gas bottles.
IMHO they probably use bully boy tactics and other tactics to ensure that only their gas bottles are available at many places.
It is far from uncommon for a supplier like Calor to only set exclusive product deals with dealers. If you go almost any gas supplier you will find they only deal with a single brand. That is normal commercial practice across a wide range of products.

Historically Calor was the the largest supplier of Butane Gas in the UK, As butane was almost exclusively used for caravans and camping, it did become the preeminent supplier for the leisure industry, and set up dealerships around the country to service its very mobile holiday customers. The Propane industry was different, its bottles sales were mainly to trader such as builders, and to a lesser extent domestic premises for cooking and heating, and dealerships tended to be more parochial, and had a large proportion of repeat or regular customers, so other Propane brands did not tend to have national distribution systems like Calor's.

There are now other suppliers with a wider if not national distribution networks, but they do not have the same widespread historic dealership network as Calor. Calor has to spend more money supporting its network which is reflected in their higher refill costs compared to most other suppliers.

But as more caravanners are adopting Propane as their preferred LPG, the market is spreading out and other brands are now competing, witnessed by the brands mentioned in this and other threads.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Please tell me an alternative gas cylinder supplier I can use throughout the U.K. campsites.

I have used BP in the past, though now use Flo gas or any of is numerous brands.

Though it would have to be a very extended trip if I needed an exchange away from home, as I can work out with high confidence when we are about to be off on a trip, whether will need I carry a spare or not, and also if needed to buy away plan where I could.

With Flo-gas's extensive retailer base and its reasonably well maintained website, it is not challenging and rarely involves much driving to acquire an exchange. But getting one out of business hours, say 19:50 on a Sunday is not viable, whereas that could possibly work if a site stocked gas. Most of Flo-gas outlets are dealing more with commercial users than being leisure industry based.

This LINK gives the picture of the extent of coverage.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have used BP in the past, though now use Flo gas or any of is numerous brands.

Though it would have to be a very extended trip if I needed an exchange away from home, as I can work out with high confidence when we are about to be off on a trip, whether will need I carry a spare or not, and also if needed to buy away plan where I could.

With Flo-gas's extensive retailer base and its reasonably well maintained website, it is not challenging and rarely involves much driving to acquire an exchange. But getting one out of business hours, say 19:50 on a Sunday is not viable, whereas that could possibly work if a site stocked gas. Most of Flo-gas outlets are dealing more with commercial users than being leisure industry based.

This LINK gives the picture of the extent of coverage.
I use Flogas for domestic applications such as BBQ, or garage heater, and also have Calor patio gas and Camping Gaz. But the latter is particularly expensive. Flogas took over BP Gaslight and now market the grp exchange cylinders.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I use Flogas for domestic applications such as BBQ, or garage heater, and also have Calor patio gas and Camping Gaz. But the latter is particularly expensive. Flogas took over BP Gaslight and now market the grp exchange cylinders.

Yes, and now following restructuring of Homebase, appear free to retail it much more widely. but along with this the prices of exchanges as gone stupid, even for account holders.
So, my three 10 kgs Gaslights are parked up, and back in use are the three commercial 11 kg steels which offer a way to buy propane per kg significantly cheaper.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts