Calor Gas - Shortage!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Folks will you please stop coming down to Devon and buying up our 6kg propane gas, please bring your own with you :)
Well here's a tip..... if you don't bring your own you will struggle to get any down this way,
indeed though the problem Im told is more wide spread.
Went to two outlets yesterday ....none
Local dealers today.....none ( They reported a national shortage)
Another two out lets today and the last one had one bottle left which I had.
I'm still searching for the second one which is a calor lite bottle, wont hold my breath!!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Calor Distribution Centres are normally the best place to ensure availability but these are presently closed for customer collection due to Covid restrictions
Hi RogerL the dealer today did actually mention that today, but our nearest one is 30 miles away near Plymouth, but he didnt mention they would be closed for collection though.
May ring them Monday and see if they will exchange the calor lite on the off chance.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi RogerL the dealer today did actually mention that today, but our nearest one is 30 miles away near Plymouth, but he didnt mention they would be closed for collection though.
May ring them Monday and see if they will exchange the calor lite on the off chance.
I think Calor Distribution Centres will take orders for gas to be delivered - but that may not be cost-effective

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have an empty Calorlite bottle stashed away in our garage. Currently we have a Safefill refillable bottle in the caravan which works for us.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Went to our local caravan dealer yesterday.
The show yard looked deserted, when the salesman asked if we were ok I asked if they were closing the business.
His response was that they had sold all stock apart from 4 preowned vans, no new vans available from factories until Nov.
He also mentioned a general lack of gas bottles.

Kev

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
No too many GoOutdoors in St Ives, Kev I have a spare full Calorlite, at the right price plus delivery cost from RMK. 😂
Thanks for the offer Hutch, very Humble of you.
But no need to panic, we dont go to St Ives until the 20th of this month.
And to be honest we dont use much gas anyway so the one bottle I have will prob last us well into next year.
Actually the last one's if I remember cost about £15.99 yesterdays was £25.99!!! Thats how long ago it was!!!
AH just remembered the calor lite was full and given to me by are ole mate Sprocket up in Pickering at the Woosie fest.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I thought that Calor were not making any more Lite bottles and were withdrawing existing bottles as they were exchanged

Ah didnt know that Mike, can exchange for normal one if I have to and wait till the first one is half empty before placing another one in the locker.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I thought that Calor were not making any more Lite bottles and were withdrawing existing bottles as they were exchanged
Not quite - they aren't making any more and have always withdrawn cylinders which fail their safety check - so it's a gradually reducing pool of cylinders.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I was in Homebase recently and they sell propane gas, it’s Gaslight flo gas 5kg new bottle and gas £69 and a refill £31 or 10kg £88 and £50 respectively, they look like the calor lite bottles but I didn’t get chance to check the type of connection on the top, anyone have any idea?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I was in Homebase recently and they sell propane gas, it’s Gaslight flo gas 5kg new bottle and gas £69 and a refill £31 or 10kg £88 and £50 respectively, they look like the calor lite bottles but I didn’t get chance to check the type of connection on the top, anyone have any idea?
Wow! That is very expensive for a refill. To refill our Safefill 7.5kg bottle from empty cost us less than £10!

Reactions: Johnb
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I don’t think I’d go for safefill gas bottle as from what I’ve just been reading finding a location that will let you refill is getting less, so I’ll stick to calor or I may well give the flo gas lite bottle a try, seems to be the container is the same as a calor lite and also is a semi transparent container so it’s easy to see just how much gas you have got left, I think the majority of people use calor gas and the price of the gas flo doesn’t seem much different to calor, anyone got any reasons we shouldn’t use it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don’t think I’d go for safefill gas bottle as from what I’ve just been reading finding a location that will let you refill is getting less, so I’ll stick to calor or I may well give the flo gas lite bottle a try, seems to be the container is the same as a calor lite and also is a semi transparent container so it’s easy to see just how much gas you have got left, I think the majority of people use calor gas and the price of the gas flo doesn’t seem much different to calor, anyone got any reasons we shouldn’t use it.
We have never had an issue refilling. many farmers and some industry use LPG fro various tasks. However if you only refill once every 18 - 24 months then Safefill is not for you. Having said that we last refilled in Oct 2019, but the caravan has seen so little usage since then that we still have enough gas to carry us through to end of this year. Normally we would refill 2 or 3 times a year.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site

I swapped a Calor Lite last November and was given a Lite in return. As others have said they're withdrawing the ones that fail the checks and not replacing them, but continuing to refill the ones they have that are OK.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My local hardware store in the fillage will order A calor lite for me from Calor in Oxford when I require one, or at least he would last year,

May 11, 2021
Visit site
This is a nationwide issue. We just bought our first van and needed a cylinder. The dealer said that Calor have told them (and all suppliers) that there are currently no new-issue cylinders to be had, only refills. Our local garden centre said the same thing. That left us with no cylinder for our van so I scoured eBay and Facebook Marketplace and found someone selling a 6kg Calor propane cylinder - when I got it home and weighed it it turned out to be about 2/3 full too, so at least now we're OK for gas and have a cylinder we can exchange when needed.

Reactions: Gagakev
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Its really not very good of Calor. The caravan, motorhome and camping industry represents a lot of business for them, and year after year we have supply problems of one sort or another. They know we are dependant on them but they really dont seem to give a hoot for their customers. Covid is not an excuse either, the lite bottle situation has been going on for years despite all their promises.

Reactions: Gagakev
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I can still get Calor gas where I live just ring up and they will reserve me a bottle for collection / or you exchange any empties

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts