Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
When I bought my preowned caravan last year, the vendor proudly showed me two full 6Kg Calor Lite bottles. I had an idea that they were discontinued, but it is only now that one is almost empty that I need to consider the matter.

Am I correct in thinking that a supplier will do a straight swap from the Lite to the "heavy", with no charge but fornthe gas itself?
What is the actual weight difference? I am already towards my limit.
My cylinders have a guage on them to show the fill level. Are these part of the cylinder, or transferable to a heavy one? (I know, I am being lazy, I could go to the van and have a good look)

Thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The link below should answer your questions. Calorlite is being discontinued. A full Calorlite 6 kg weighs 10 kg. A full standard 6 kg weighs considerably more. 15-17kg. The gauges are part of the cylinder and not transferable by the user.

Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
The link below should answer your questions. Calorlite is being discontinued. A full Calorlite 6 kg weighs 10 kg. A full standard 6 kg weighs considerably more. 15-17kg. The gauges are part of the cylinder and not transferable by the user.

Thanks.
I did see the linked site, but it does not specifically mention the Lite bottles. A few of our local suppliers web sites state that, due to supply issues, they will only supply refills and they must be “like for like”. Hence my apprehension.

I do appreciate your input.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Thanks.
I did see the linked site, but it does not specifically mention the Lite bottles. A few of our local suppliers web sites state that, due to supply issues, they will only supply refills and they must be “like for like”. Hence my apprehension.

I do appreciate your input.
I had a calorlite bottle a couple of year ago when supplies were really short and was exchanged without a problem, when you think about it you are doing a like for like exchange 6kg Propane for a 6kg Propane.
Gra

Reactions: Caravanrevisited
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Calorlite are being withdrawn progressively so you may find a retailer with stock but it’s only a like for like exchange. But you can still exchange an empty Calorlite for a “ standard” 6 kg cylinder. The link below details the various exchange cylinder groupings.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Flogas Gaslite cylinders are much lighter than standard steel cylinders for 5kg or 10kg. The initial cost is a bit more expensive and so is the exchange cf steel cylinders but how much is payload worth. A lot of the time I only toured with one 6kg gas cylinder leaving the other at home. If you use EHU then gas usage is quite light. But going off grid especially in cooler times can lead to higher gas usage.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
In my experience, Calor have rules about which bottles can be included in exchanges. Some dealers follow the rules, other dealers have their own strict rules while others don’t care very much and are very flexible.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Many years ago we bought a refillable Safefill bottle. Our Safefill is a 7.5kg bottle and weighs 11.6kg when full. The 6kg Calorlite bottle weighs 10.4kg when full. A difference of 1.2kg.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I've presently got two Calorlites - unusually our noseweight issue is too light so we'll actually benefit by switching to two regular 6kg cylinders.

• Wow
Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Is it true the fixings and regulator are the same for either gas?
Will a Calor dealer take a flogas cylinder in return?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Calor cylinders are rented, so you have acted illegally by selling something you do not own.
Why would you want to return the cylinder to the Calor depot and get zilch for it when you can sell it for +£40. I wonder if Calor keep all the rental documents from 10 years ago never mind 20 0r 30 years?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Good question DD. I would also like to know if I buy a Flogas Propane; does it need a different pigtail to my current Calor Propane.
Mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is a general commonality on the propane fittings, but there are now several different connectors for Butane .

Within the Calor agreement the dealer should only supply a calor replacement when a Calor cylinder is returned. If the dealer wishes to twist that is up to them and to suffer any consequences the calor agreement sets out.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Is there a good reason to switch to Flogas?

If Calor won’t give me a new Calor cylinder in exchange for a Flogas why would I change in the first place?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yi
I've presently got two Calorlites - unusually our noseweight issue is too light so we'll actually benefit by switching to two regular 6kg cylinders

You will get a straight exchange from Calor fir standard 6kg propane and only pay fir the gas.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Yi

You will get a straight exchange from Calor fir standard 6kg propane and only pay fir the gas.
Calor did the same when they got rid of aluminium butane cylinders, simply agreed to supply heavier steel cylinders with no recompense for the higher price paid for the aluminium ones.

I'll look seriously at switching to Flogas, based on price and availablility - although we use so little gas as we only go off-grid 1/2 nights/year so it's not a big deal - I do though still have the original Calor rental agreement so would get a few quid back if I handed the Calorlites in.

I had been able to source Calorlites locally, at an unofficial refiller, but Calor seem to have blocked that outlet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts