Calorgas supplies

May 30, 2023
Visit site
Hi, I tried to get a 6kg calor gas exchange over the weekend as we had run out and I was told "you probably won't find one anywhere in Norfolk". And I did try several places without success. What's going on? I'm now back home but need a cylinder before next week. Am I going to find one?

May 12, 2019
Visit site
Caravan owners should get together and do a "Class Action" against Calor. Last year I bought my first caravan and duly paid two deposits for two bottles. Surely taking our money and not being able to supply a refill is a Breach of Contract, multified thousands of times with Calor Gas customers being unable to get refills.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am at loss to understand what the problem is with Calor. It's too long since Calorlite started to be withdrawn and Covid supply issues for new cylinders to meet extra demand must have eased significantly. Local to us several Calor outlets have transferred to Flogas, and also offer the Flogas Gaslight cylinders too. It is as if Calor are withdrawing from the leisure market, but why would the make business sense?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Caravan owners should get together and do a "Class Action" against Calor. Last year I bought my first caravan and duly paid two deposits for two bottles. Surely taking our money and not being able to supply a refill is a Breach of Contract, multified thousands of times with Calor Gas customers being unable to get refills.
In the UK the nearest we can get to "Class Action" is "Group Litigation"

Wiki Pedia tells us
"The claims are brought as a group, usually with at least ten claimants and often using the same lawyers. All claimants wishing to join the group litigation must apply to be entered on the group register (i.e. they must "opt in") by a date specified by the court."

so it's not a simple process.

Over recent years there have been several new bottled gas suppliers expanding nationwide network of distributors, so business pressures will cause all suppliers to review and change the products or services they offer. In many cases their gas is cheaper than Calor.

I suspect that if you look at your Calor Cylinder Rental agreement it will allow Calor to change its business model and withdraw some or all of its products from its rental scheme.

If you have only recently taken out a rental agreement you should be able to recover some of your rental charges on a scale set out in the agreement.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes

Any retailed LPG should be fine, though you might need to get different pigtails to connect them.
The LPG Propane pigtails are the same,
Flogas will accept many different gas bottles from different outlets as replacements, where as Calorgas, only accept their own.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
That's why I wrote "might need to get "

And as Dave A1 did not specifiy Butane or Propane there may be differences between brands and gasses.
Butane have a clip on type connector, I am surprised you didn't know that Prof. But so many different bottles nowadays Patio Etc. Who knows.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
We switched from Calor to Flogas light two years ago, not only saving a lot of weight but also no problem with getting refills.

Its a bit more expensive but we only use 1 or 2 bottles a year.

Ps and the cost was largely paid for by selling the 6kg calor bottles, which fetch a crazy price nowadays.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Again That's why I wrote "might need to get "

You might be right Prof😉

Back to the OP.
Two factors are affecting the supply of Calor products nationwide.

Their recent system update is impacting deliveries to customers.

No new cylinders have been manufactured for ages causing a shortage of filled exchanges.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You might be right Prof😉

Back to the OP.
Two factors are affecting the supply of Calor products nationwide.

Their recent system update is impacting deliveries to customers.

No new cylinders have been manufactured for ages causing a shortage of filled exchanges.
Calor must have good records of their historic rate of replacement for each of the cylinder types - if there were a glut of cylinders then stopping production of the cylinders makes sense but if there's a shortage the only logical explanation is that they plan to pull out of the LPG cylinder market altogether.

I guess I'm lucky in that I have 2 full Calorlites and live close to the people in Meriden who seem to be able to refill them - each 6kg lasts about 2 years so no rush for me to switch to Flogas.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The increased sales of caravans and motor homes during the post lockdown periods must have seriously hit the supply chain with all the new entrants purchasing one or two bottles. Many will have been using EHU so the bottles aren’t being exchanged. Undoubtedly supply chain issues affected Calors ability to obtain new supplies of cylinders but those should have cleared by now. So Calors strategy at present seems to show a reduced importance to leisure vehicles gas sales. Why?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The increased sales of caravans and motor homes during the post lockdown periods must have seriously hit the supply chain with all the new entrants purchasing one or two bottles. Many will have been using EHU so the bottles aren’t being exchanged. Undoubtedly supply chain issues affected Calors ability to obtain new supplies of cylinders but those should have cleared by now. So Calors strategy at present seems to show a reduced importance to leisure vehicles gas sales. Why?
No no idea Clive other than my previous post.

A further google says We also offer the reassuring security of a fuel supply which doesn't have to rely on Middle Eastern or Russian imports. 25% of our LPG is sourced from the Whitegate Refinery in Co.Cork, with the remainder sourced within Europe.
Maybe Calor are also having problems obtaining the gas? BTW have to ou all noticed the massive price increases over the last 18 months

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No no idea Clive other than my previous post.

A further google says We also offer the reassuring security of a fuel supply which doesn't have to rely on Middle Eastern or Russian imports. 25% of our LPG is sourced from the Whitegate Refinery in Co.Cork, with the remainder sourced within Europe.
Maybe Calor are also having problems obtaining the gas? BTW have to ou all noticed the massive price increases over the last 18 months
Yes I’ve noticed big price increases. A Camping Gaz 904 exchange costs £36.99 for a measly 1.8 kg of gas. So by that criteria a Calor 6kg exchange is a veritable bargain. Suffice to say the 904 languishes around the back of the house …….empty.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Did sales increase? I don't recall caravan or motorhome manufacturers increasing production, indeed the opposite by shutting down due to Covid restrictions creating a shortage with delivery delays still having an effect.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Did sales increase? I don't recall caravan or motorhome manufacturers increasing production, indeed the opposite by shutting down due to Covid restrictions creating a shortage with delivery delays still having an effect.
But sales of pre owned rocketed such that dealerships were stock out, so by my logic that would have increased demand for gas cylinders, as in normal times that stock would have been sitting at the dealerships.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts