CAMC Deposits

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
I'm afraid the club has shot itself in the foot with it's pricing structure!
Never mind the deposits.
How on earth do they justify the yo-yo pricing where the price changes from one day to the next!

Reactions: Challenger
May 7, 2012
Visit site
From visiting the sites, they do seem to have lost a lot of business and wonder if the offers reflect this. Never seen so many empty pitches at Chester Fairoaks.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
It does all seem a bit daft at the moment.
We went to the Black Knowl a couple of weeks ago, this was booked ages ago, just before the new system.
On arriving, there was only one hard standing pitch available, not a problem as there were 35 units leaving the following day. Our preference was a grass pitch.
Next morning, had a walk around the camp and could see the grass pitches that were being vacated, we hooked up and waited for the pitch we fancied to come vacant. Whilst waiting, a warden came to us and informed us that we could only go on hard standing as all the grass pitches were prebooked. Apparently, when the new system was launched, all existing bookings were allocated hard standing.
Anyways, this was the Saturday and we were leaving the week Sunday.
Without exaggerating, pretty much all the vacant grass pitches were empty until the Saturday - a week after we arrived!
Madness.
If you have any long standing bookings in place, check they are what you want.

Kev

Reactions: Dustydog
Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
We favour CLs, and one in particular we regularly use, and know the owner well. We were told that on their most recent inspection they were 'advised' that they weren't charging enough !

Too much competition for the nearby club site perhaps....

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
We favour CLs, and one in particular we regularly use, and know the owner well. We were told that on their most recent inspection they were 'advised' that they weren't charging enough !

We used to use a club site when visiting our son and his family. Went to book for a recent visit and all was well until we came to the price.
£33.90 a night for an economy pitch!!! No EHU!
Went for a new CL a mile down the road, also no EHU, but a far more realistic £15 a night.
The club really don't have a clue what "ECONOMY" means!

Reactions: jimmyg352 and Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's been a number of years since I was a member of what CC as it was known then, but its been interesting to see the recent comments appearing on the forum about it and its booking system and the facilities (or lack of) at their "club" owned sites, and the comparative cost of using club facilities.

I do hope if any member has been dissatisfied with what they receive for their membership, or the cost of using club facilities, they not only take the trouble to comment about here in the forum, but they also make their concerns known to the club through their complaints procedure.

They are unlikely to do anything about it unless they are told about members concerns.

Reactions: GaryB and Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It does all seem a bit daft at the moment.
We went to the Black Knowl a couple of weeks ago, this was booked ages ago, just before the new system.
On arriving, there was only one hard standing pitch available, not a problem as there were 35 units leaving the following day. Our preference was a grass pitch.
Next morning, had a walk around the camp and could see the grass pitches that were being vacated, we hooked up and waited for the pitch we fancied to come vacant. Whilst waiting, a warden came to us and informed us that we could only go on hard standing as all the grass pitches were prebooked. Apparently, when the new system was launched, all existing bookings were allocated hard standing.
Anyways, this was the Saturday and we were leaving the week Sunday.
Without exaggerating, pretty much all the vacant grass pitches were empty until the Saturday - a week after we arrived!
Madness.
If you have any long standing bookings in place, check they are what you want.

Kev
Kev
Did you book a grass or hard standing pitch originally?
Black Knowle and some other CAMC Sites give you a chance at booking to choose the pitch type.
A previous favourite of ours Trewethett Farm Tintagel was a lottery. Some pitches were to die for others boring.
I think the small print has got smaller and the prices higher😥

Reactions: jimmyg352
Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Kev
Did you book a grass or hard standing pitch originally?
Black Knowle and some other CAMC Sites give you a chance at booking to choose the pitch type.
A previous favourite of ours Trewethett Farm Tintagel was a lottery. Some pitches were to die for others boring.
I think the small print has got smaller and the prices higher😥
We booked a standard grass pitch but when the system migrated the bookings they were allocated to hard standing.
We are there again in sept but have made sure we are on grass.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

I've heard directly from several CL owners over the years, during their regular inspections, they get told what they should be charging - but I'm sure the club would always deny it if challenged.

Reactions: Challenger
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I've heard directly from several CL owners over the years, during their regular inspections, they get told what they should be charging - but I'm sure the club would always deny it if challenged.
All I know is first hand two weeks ago. No guidance on cost bar power consumption . Told to monitor it. We did just that for two weeks. With no heating 10 or less units easily saw us through 24 hours. One morning it was very cold, 2 hours of full 2 kw used 3 units extra.
Most CLs are sensibly priced and I am not going to sowing the wrong seeds. Find out for yourselves whilst the going is still good. Once prices get on line publicly the gem stones will disappear😥😥

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
All I know is first hand two weeks ago. No guidance on cost bar power consumption . Told to monitor it. We did just that for two weeks. With no heating 10 or less units easily saw us through 24 hours. One morning it was very cold, 2 hours of full 2 kw used 3 units extra.
Most CLs are sensibly priced and I am not going to sowing the wrong seeds. Find out for yourselves whilst the going is still good. Once prices get on line publicly the gem stones will disappear😥😥
CL prices have been displayed online for years - the CC website gives the "from" which is what most CLs charge.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In England and Wales (I'm not sure about Scotland and NI) When a retailer or service provide sets out a scale of charges, technically that is just an offer by the seller, and it does mean if you don't like the offer you can try to negotiate it down.

Unfortunately you can't force the seller to accept a lower sum, but if trade is slow, they may be enticed to accept a lower price to keep turnover turning over.

No harm in asking.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We also like this C/L we use last year it was full service hard standing pitch and tv hook up it was £19 per night but it now £22 and a one of charge £3 for WiFi i still think that reasonable but they have holiday cottages and we stop there this year this place was full

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I have no problem with the CAMC deposit scheme and usually go to their sites instead of private sites. Often its because of location and also because the standards are consistently good, although one or two are getting towards their best before end date.

The last couple we've been to have been almost full so a lot of people are also happy with them.

Don't forget that cost is not the same as value - but then people have differening opinions of what they consider value.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Given that one private site we sometimes use wants a deposit when you book and full payment in advance and is not alone the deposit seems reasonably fair. The C&CC keeps theirs for cancelations within thirty days but the CAMH is only twenty one so better there.
I gather speculative mass bookings are down 76% which should also help.

Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
If it wasn’t for CL’s we wouldn’t be members of CAMC. I tell them this every time we (rarely) use a main site & do the pointless survey they ask me to do. They’re more expensive/no better than lots of private sites & apart from having the CL network there’s no advantage of being a member.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......don't forget the CAMC also have local centres each of which run extensive rally programmes only open to members.
Club sites are their expensive offering.....CLs and Centre rallies are their more affordable options.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
And the magazine is crap too.
I would’t go that far.
There are aspects of the magazine I enjoy. The crossword and some of the travel items and test.I see the magazine as a bonus.
SWMBO years ago did the two day towing course. Worth every penny.
The CLs are the Jewell in the Crown for me but let’s not forget the various Insurance and breakdown schemes which I like and use. Plus there are some main sites which are excellent, usually the ones with no facilities eg St Agnes Head, Alnaharra.
So not all bad😎

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would’t go that far.
There are aspects of the magazine I enjoy. The crossword and some of the travel items and test.I see the magazine as a bonus.
SWMBO years ago did the two day towing course. Worth every penny.
The CLs are the Jewell in the Crown for me but let’s not forget the various Insurance and breakdown schemes which I like and use. Plus there are some main sites which are excellent, usually the ones with no facilities eg St Agnes Head, Alnaharra.
So not all bad😎
I would agree with your views. We enjoyed our stays on CMHC sites, and the CLs too. We would also use their overseas travel service and the travel and breakdown too. In one instance we had to cancel a tripabroad at short notice when my father took ill. The travel/ insurance teams were brilliant and sorted everything out for us such that our financial loss was minimal even though we cancelled at 3 days notice. They were also good in May 2021 when our trip from Yorkshire was curtailed when both dogs had colitis.

There seems to be a prevailing “down” on the CMHC. If anyone doesn’t like it then why not go to a AGM and express views, leave the club, or just get on with life.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
And the magazine is crap too.
That is a matter of opinion and not a fact. Many members do like it.
I agree.
Is The Camping & Caravan Club any good? I've only stayed on one of their sites (Dunstan Hill) & It was a flipping fortune as we weren't members, we went with my nephew who was/is.
Rallies? Not for us thanks.
The sites tend to be similar to CAMH but there are a lot more tents and the upkeep is not quite as good but not a problem.
If you use club sites and are not a member the fees are far too high to be sensible and it is often cheaper to join if you are staying more than a couple of nights. The fees seem to be set so high as to put people off and more to keep in line with planning restrictions that require them to offer this.

TRENDING THREADS