CAMC tow car awards 2021

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Volvo V60 petrol plugin AWD is best tug for caravans over 1700kgs. The specifications are mind blowing with Ferrari performance! Maybe this is the best solution rather than pure EVs for us tuggers.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Assuming you can afford it then it looks good. It is out of many peoples range though. Whether it is the best tug though is arguable, but if it suits you then why not.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would think that caravans 1700kg or more may exceed the vehicle's kerbweight which seems to be around 1668kg?
Don’t the two Clubs ballast the vans to 85% kerbweight for their tests.

The problem with many of the new EV or hybrid cars is that owners will “ demonstrate” their startling acceleration on islands. Which can catch out the unwary or make smooth traffic flows difficult. But I guess as more cars go that way they could be installed with geofencing that limits acceleration in designated areas. 😂

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
if we can afford the Volvo V60 petrol plugin AWD it worth a look and we will be towing something lightweight and will see what the match is like .

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Of course the hybrids are an interim arrangement as currently we are told that it will be EV only from 2035. Seems like a while away, but well within the lifespan of vehicles being bought now. Having read the article that informs that the extra pollution at the construction stage will take a comparative 4 years plus to balance, as well as considerations regarding batteries, replacement and disposal, and the generation of electricity to power all the cars , we are left wondering.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Volvo V60 plug in hybrid is nearly 2000 kg minimum kerbweight according to the Topgear site. So 1700 kg is within its realm and its max towing weight is 1800 kg. CMHC detail kerbweight as 2075 kg in the TCOY 2021 statistics.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The Volvo V60 plug in hybrid is nearly 2000 kg minimum kerbweight according to the Topgear site. So 1700 kg is within its realm and its max towing weight is 1800 kg. CMHC detail kerbweight as 2075 kg in the TCOY 2021 statistics.

I got the figures off the HJ website however it seems that you are correct as it is 1955kg kerbweight. It can tow up to 1800kg but at 1700kg exceeds the guidelines by a couple fo kg so not big deal. :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Of course the hybrids are an interim arrangement as currently we are told that it will be EV only from 2035. Seems like a while away, but well within the lifespan of vehicles being bought now. Having read the article that informs that the extra pollution at the construction stage will take a comparative 4 years plus to balance, as well as considerations regarding batteries, replacement and disposal, and the generation of electricity to power all the cars , we are left wondering.
Whether you like it or not, the government has put in place these targets so its going to happen, but it will take several decades for the UK to completely remove ICE vehicles from our roads.

There is a problem with the comparison that has give rise to the 4 year break even point. The comparison fails to take into account the extraction, transportation and refining of crude oil that is used by the ICE vehicles, and that is why you have to take whole vehicle life into the ecological consideration.

On on top of that the historical evidence is that the batteries (on average) may have some degradation but are lasting well beyond 150000 miles, and still have significant useful life in vehicles, but even when they are no longer suitable for vehicles they can have useful life elsewhere. so scrappage is not the big issue its claimed. Even at end of life batteries are highly recyclable - which is an industry that is being developed.

Coupled to that the production of EV batteries is rapidly advancing, and some of the issues of earlier designs will be addressed and improved as time goes by.

Don't condemn the future of EV's based only on past biased evidence which is rapidly becoming obsolete.

Reactions: Tobes and JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
However there is the cost of an hydrid or EV to take into consideration whether new or second hand. We could not afford either as they well over priced and chances of prices dropping are remote.
Even if we bought 2nd hand will any dealer guarantee the batteries for at leasat 5 years from date of purchase. That will be a big drawback from our perspective as when you hit eighty you want to buy a decent car that is going to see you out to end of life so last a minimum of 10 years!

Reactions: Peter day
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In any era where significant social, economic or technological change is thrust onto society there will be those who benefit and those who loose. Canal owner v Railway owners. And spare a thought for the rose and rhubarb growers of England. The transition from a horse based transportation system to an ICE based transportation system must have played havoc with their livelihoods.

But jesting apart people have a way of meeting the changing demands one way or another.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well i am hoping to keep my car for a few years and then we will upgrade it could be petrol plugin hybrid SUV next it got to be that height .for my wheelchair .

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Does anyone buy a car with towing the upper most thought?
I tow at the most 8 times a year, that being 4 caravan holidays with the total tow mileage less than my annual commute to work.
I dont read the "Best Tow Car" its not relevant, what is would be, "Best All Round Car", and for me I bought just that.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes. Towing ability is a primary consideration for me. How many miles a year is your commute. MPG cost depends on overall distance travelled. 10 k a year at say 30 mpg or 40 mpg will not produce a very large cost differential. The other option is a second more economical car but again that become financially cost ineffective. It is a fact of life your tug must be within weight limits to cope with your chosen caravan. There are no short cuts sadly.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I tow at the most 8 times a year, that being 4 caravan holidays with the total tow mileage less than my annual commute to work.
I dont read the "Best Tow Car" its not relevant, what is would be, "Best All Round Car", and for me I bought just that.
Yes right from 1995 there’s been the Saab9000, Discovery, Sorento, XC70, Superb and two Foresters. Prior to that time the single car did all duties but admittedly I can’t recall the 85% guide I just used makers towing limit and bought a van to suit.

If we didn’t have a van we would go down to one car probably a Hyundai I30 N.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
I commute around 5k miles a year, tow around 2k miles a year, I dont know our other use mileage.
My first consideration is always looks, I always buy estates as they used to be known. Todays in my opinion are often better looking than the saloon versions, not so some years back.
Buying diesel and the running costs are more than petrol, more so now with adblue and the fun in driving a diesel just isn't there, my last 2 cars being diesel just didn't have the sparkle of petrol, the wifes is diesel, suits the car and our tendency to plod around in it, convertible.
For me as I said best tow car, not interested, my car pulls our van stunningly, but I'm sure it would be bottom of the pile when it comes to a "list"

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I commute around 5k miles a year, tow around 2k miles a year, I dont know our other use mileage.
My first consideration is always looks, I always buy estates as they used to be known. Todays in my opinion are often better looking than the saloon versions, not so some years back.
Buying diesel and the running costs are more than petrol, more so now with adblue and the fun in driving a diesel just isn't there, my last 2 cars being diesel just didn't have the sparkle of petrol, the wifes is diesel, suits the car and our tendency to plod around in it, convertible.
For me as I said best tow car, not interested, my car pulls our van stunningly, but I'm sure it would be bottom of the pile when it comes to a "list"
What’s the outfit that you have?

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Technically very bad 🙃
2018 Audi a4 Avant Black Edition petrol dsg box.
2016 Coachman Pastiche 575

I will add a factory fitted towbar, the swing under bumper type, neat idea but has caused rust issues on ball, think its sorted tho with rubber tape, have a look next week😕

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My first consideration is always looks, I always buy estates as they used to be known.
Off topic. When I first came to the UK I had no idea of an "estate car" as to me an estate was a large home. Our terminology was "station wagon" for an estate car. Hatchback also known as a "lift back" I am not American. :D

Reactions: Darren.H
Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
No I'm just saying that the towing aspect of my car was way down on the list of priorities when I bought it.
I'm sure a % of people, how high that percentage is we could argue till the cows come home, like me don't see "Best Tow Car" as a consideration when changing vehicles.
All I did was look at the towable mass of the car, 1500kg for UK and 1700kg for other countries just to make sure I kept to the right side of the law with the current caravan.
As I say the car only tows the maximum of 8 days a year, hours wise probably at a guess 35 hours a year, so a tiny minority of the vehicles use, hence picking a car based on what can tow better is for me and others like me completely irrelevant.

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Any one who owns a touring caravan would be foolish to ignore the need to find tow vehicle that is capable of towing their caravan. So it has to high on their list of criteria.

However there can be a difference between choosing a vehicle just for towing and a vehicle capable of towing occasionally. That choice is down to the buyer.

I hold the view that assuming you want a daily driver that can tow, then choose it to be good for the daily drive, even if it's less than ideal for long distance towing, If towing time only represents 10% of time in the car, then its better to choose to suit 90% of time.

I don't read to much into annual awards for products, They only represent certain peoples opinions about them, and often the criteria they use do not match with my own wishes or needs.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
My conversation with car salesman over caravan was,
What can it tow?
Salesman, "I dont know"
About 30 minutes later a colleague comes over with the figures.

Then me, " How much is a factory fit towbar"?
Salesman, "I dont know"
About 30 minutes later a colleague comes over with the figures
I say, " HOW MUCH"
Salesman adds £600 onto px value of my old car 😁

Last edited by a moderator:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Even those of us that do relatively high mileages towing use the car solo far more so the first consideration is what we want for day to day driving. Having established that we look at what suits our towing needs from the shortlist. Looks is not a consideration as to me there is nothing on the market these days that I would consider too ugly to consider. The main priorities are reliability, fuel consumption and running costs once we have the shortlist, although my wife is against SUV's which she regards as old mans cars, despite the fact our daughter has one. Possibly she will have come round by the time we buy another.
Frankly I would not ask the salesman what can it tow, I have already done my research and most of them have no real knowledge of the subject. I know a factory fit tow bar will cost more, and as it is normally a Westfalia, I also know I can get the same one cheaper.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts