Camping and Caravan Club sinking to a new low?

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We have over the past few months give the C & C another shot and enjoyed usingt he sites a St neots amnd Conkers however yesterday went onto theri website to do a booking and the site was down. Fair enough can happen to any site.
Went on again today to make a booking and the whole booking system has chaned and in my opinion taken sewveral steps backwards. You now have to do some guesswork as to the region where you want to camp and then decide on miles from the name of the place you have inputted.
Anyway went through all the palaver, found a site and click to make a booking and guess what? Up comes an error message "Server Error in '/' Application.
BTW it gives you a selection of the type of pitches that are available on every UK site whether or not the site in question has them available. The new booking system is a real step backwards and if you don't believe me, try it yourself!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Surfer
I love the way that you put such a positive spin on things
smiley-smile.gif

I think that the C&CC see the changes to their SiteFinder website as being an improvement, with photographs, 360º views and user reviews written by those who have stayed on the sites being available for each campsite.
I'd should imagine that most C&CC members would have a general idea of the area in which they want to stay and the radius in miles from a chosen point is no different to what was previously available, but the website has been tidied up a wee bit.
You can choose from a list of options what facilities you will need and the website provides a list of sites in your chosen area which have those facilities.
The error message is an unfortunate glitch, it's because the website has been revamped and it will be resolved.
I've had a play around on the new system earlier and I'd agree that it might take a bit of getting used to at first but overall it's a better system which delivers more options.

On this PCv website posts should be pre-edited rather than post edited for editing to be successfully carried out:-

Compose your post in the comment box as per normal
Click on Preview and wait for a few seconds
Your post will first load using HTML and will then appear as it would on the forum
Scroll down and you will see the comment box also containing your post and which you can edit
Click 'Disable Rich Text' to activate the spell checker
Make corrections if necessary and edit your post if you want to, then click on 'Preview' once again
Continue to edit if necessary or click on 'Save' and your edited post will load onto the message board.
No editing is possible after a post has been saved to the message boards.

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Surfer, they are part way through a major upgrade and rather are slowly adding functionality to the system. Spoke to them this morning and some more new stuff should be added in next few days. This is probably the best time of year to do something like this as it coincides with the release of the new pricing structure for 2012. They should have publicised the upgrades a bit better so that people don't get impatient but I guess most people are chilled enough to not worry about such an unimportant matter.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Parksey editing after I have posted has never been a problem up to now. As for the new booking system where does it show if pitches are avauilable, i.e. grass or hard standing on a particular site?

Just tried again and the site still gives the same error message. If they are upgrading the site perhaps they should give you the option of allowing your username to be retained. If it is not broken why try and fix it?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Surfer said:
Parksey editing after I have posted has never been a problem up to now.
Surfer, I wrote:
On this PCv website posts should be pre-edited rather than post edited for editing to be successfully carried out:
I'm aware that it is sometimes possible to edit after the post has appeared but the timing can be critical.
The method that I described ensures that the edit is successful every time.
Surfer said:
As for the new booking system where does it show if pitches are avauilable, i.e. grass or hard standing on a particular site?
Just tried again and the site still gives the same error message. If they are upgrading the site perhaps they should give you the option of allowing your username to be retained. If it is not broken why try and fix it?
I wasn't aware that the old Sitefinder showed available pitches but having just tried it using Bakewell C&CC site as an example a separate webpage appeared which stated whether pitches were available for the dates selected.
I didn't get the error message and it's for the C&CC officials to decide when and how often they upgrade their website so perhaps you should ask them?

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Still get the same boring derror message "Server Error in '/' Application." Perhaps the site cannot handle FF? Will check with IE9.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Can some one clarify this error message on the C & CC site? I get it whether using FF or IE9. Thanks

Runtime ErrorDescription: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Parksy said:
so perhaps you should ask them?
Wrote to them and Caravan Club on Monday. CC responded on Wednesday. Still waiting for C & CC to respond so probably stand no chance of them listening to members suggestions. They are worse than our MP.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps the poor relations are saving up for a stamp
smiley-frown.gif

It's usually best to phone the C&CC in order to receive a reply.
The error message applies to them, you don't have to do anything but it looks as though whoever designed the new website has left out an important script.

More on the error message Here

Are you accessing the C&CC website via a 'favourite' or 'bookmark' stored on your computer?
Try entering Camping & Caravanning Club into Google and clicking onto the C&CC homepage.
From there click the UK Campsite tab ( top left) and then click on 'Find a Campsite'
The Site Finder webpage should load and you could re-save the new version and delete the old one.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I have tried both as no favourites in IE9 but no joy except for the first time I logged in. When I realised I had made a mistake with the dates I went back in to change dates but it added the two together. I then cancelled both but have not been able to get back in since. Weird. I would have thought that they would have given the updated website a thorough test before relaeasing it. Far too many choices before you can move on to the next page.

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Out of interest, I tried the site and got exactly the same error as Surfer. I'm using Firefox & Windows 7. At first glance, I would agree that the old system was better (and it worked!)

John M

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
John_miller said:
Out of interest, I tried the site and got exactly the same error as Surfer. I'm using Firefox & Windows 7. At first glance, I would agree that the old system was better (and it worked!)

John M
I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem! Not sure why they have so many boxes to tick before you can continue to type of pitch. If you select a site by name, i.e. Blackmore why do you then have to tick a box "UK Club site" lower down when the system already recognises it is a club site.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I've just been on the new website with intentions of booking Canterbury for the weekend after next, when eventually I got to the bit about the descriptive dimensions of the vehicle - I gave it up as a bad job, I hadn't got a clue!! I also noted that, after entering number of adults, two plus two over 55's, the running total did not reflect the reduction for concessionary rates, as I didn't get as far as booking I have no idea whether it deducts it at the end!
smiley-frown.gif

As this was the first time I had actually been successful in getting as far with a booking - all other times it came up with the gobbledy ****, I can't see it's an improvement - too complicated. Why ask for the width of a caravan - surely a couple of centimetres isn't going to make alot of difference?!
smiley-frown.gif

All a bit of a nonsense, if you ask me!!
smiley-undecided.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Wendy-Norfolk said:
I've just been on the new website with intentions of booking Canterbury for the weekend after next, when eventually I got to the bit about the descriptive dimensions of the vehicle - I gave it up as a bad job, I hadn't got a clue!! I also noted that, after entering number of adults, two plus two over 55's, the running total did not reflect the reduction for concessionary rates, as I didn't get as far as booking I have no idea whether it deducts it at the end!
smiley-frown.gif

As this was the first time I had actually been successful in getting as far with a booking - all other times it came up with the gobbledy ****, I can't see it's an improvement - too complicated. Why ask for the width of a caravan - surely a couple of centimetres isn't going to make alot of difference?!
smiley-frown.gif

All a bit of a nonsense, if you ask me!!
smiley-undecided.gif
Thye are not asking for the width of the caravan, they are asking for the width of the caravan plus awning. How many people would know this? There is no option for caravan without an awning??? I select grass pitch for the period 22/12/2011 until 29/12/2011 and I get
Server Error in '/' Application.
On the front page I only selected type of site even though I had already selected a UK campsite. I then only ticked the next block for EHU and nothing further. They have had a couple days to rectify this fault but it seems that are not bothered!
Seems it is time to cancel membership and get a refund for the rest of the year. Must be a record as we have only been members for 2 months and already we have issues withe club despite giving them a "second" chance based on what Parksy told us. We have tried various combinations and still get the same error message.
Useless club has not even bothered to respond to my email sent last week on the 01/11/2011 regarding disabled facilties! Seems that they are too busy fielding complaints about the new booking system!

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
As we've been members of the club for donkeys years this minor glitch is not going to deter us, the benefits certainly outweigh a bit of inconvenience with the booking system, I'll just use the phone!

Surfer, I've had on a couple of previous occasions had to make a complaint to the club, they have always sent a courteous response within seven days. Sometimes the nicey nicey approach gets you to where you want to be, quicker!!
smiley-cool.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Wendy-Norfolk said:
As we've been members of the club for donkeys years this minor glitch is not going to deter us, the benefits certainly outweigh a bit of inconvenience with the booking system, I'll just use the phone!

Surfer, I've had on a couple of previous occasions had to make a complaint to the club, they have always sent a courteous response within seven days. Sometimes the nicey nicey approach gets you to where you want to be, quicker!!
smiley-cool.gif
I have not raised a complaint about the booking system yet. Not much point if they do n ot bother to respond after 10 days! My email was a question regarding the facilities for people with disabilities and was polite etc. They have not responded so I have to assume that it is not a very friendly club and that they do not like corresponding with people in connection with facilities for disabled.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
The club are also upgrading the systems on sites concurrently. We stayed at Winchcombe last week and the staff were having problems making bookings, so it may just be the technical support is overloaded with calls from wardens.
Despite the frustrations the staff remained friendly and helpful, just what we want from "The Friendly Club"...

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The Camping & Caravanning Club have acknowledged the fact that the new website has issues which need to be resolved and has released a statement on their website which can be read Here
In the statement the club 'apologise for any disruption caused whilst making an online booking and thank members for their continued patience and support.'
There you go Surfer, obviously they have been contacted by a number of club members including yourself and they're very sorry
smiley-cry.gif

The statement goes on to say that bookings can still be made via the Club’s Contact Centre on 0845 130 7633 or 024 7647 5426.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Parksy said:
The Camping & Caravanning Club have acknowledged the fact that the new website has issues which need to be resolved and has released a statement on their website which can be read Here
In the statement the club 'apologise for any disruption caused whilst making an online booking and thank members for their continued patience and support.'
There you go Surfer, obviously they have been contacted by a number of club members including yourself and they're very sorry
smiley-cry.gif

The statement goes on to say that bookings can still be made via the Club’s Contact Centre on 0845 130 7633 or 024 7647 5426.

Calll me cynical, but I doubt somehow that they 1200 bookings in a short space of time. Unlike the CC members there is no need for a C & CC member to rush to make a booking. They have all year to make bookings and not just a few days. I think they have taken a leaf out fo the book that belongs to Tony Blair's spin doctors. Incidently I still get a "server error" message if I try and do a booking online.
I eventually got a reply regarding my email which had nothing to do with the booking system. I was querying why their disabled facilities required a deposit to obtain a key from the reception which is very inconvenient and probably discriminatory. I asked why they could not use a RADAR key system like most caravan sites. This is their answer;

Thank you for your email regarding accessible facilities on our UK Club Sites. I am sorry to hear that you have found these disappointing. Never mentioned a thing about being disappointed by facilities as I was querying access.
Unfortunately, in the past the accessible facilities on our sites have been vandalised. Due to this, and to ensure that there are accessible facilities we need to keep the facilities locked. If they are locked how can they be accessible? Why can't a RADAR key be used? They have a code system for the normal Male and Female toilets which is free, but if you are disabled you have to pay a deposit to get the key. Why can't a disabled person also be given a code? When returning the key to get your deposit back is a very big hassle as firstly you need to find a warden as reception may be closed, secondly if reception is open you join a queue of incoming caravanners. Thirdly you have to deal with a very upset wife who has been walking around the campsite trying to find a warden or stood in a queue for 10 - 15 minutes to get back a £5 deposit! I would say that this is very discriminatory.
The Club is currently looking into ways that we can make it easier for those who need to use accessible facilities and these options include no deposit for keys and the introduction of RADAR keys. Unfortunately, not all Members who require accessible facilities have RADAR keys. Probably tru,e but then those people would not have to use disabled facilties anyway. Also it seems that I am not the only person who has raised this grievance.

Please be reassured that the Club continues to investigate this issue. This should be a high priority to benefit all people with disablities.
Regrettably I cannot offer a date for when any changes, if any, will be made. Not very friendly.
Your comments have been logged and passed to my relevant colleagues for their information.

I could not believe their answer which is basically a fob off "we are not going to change because it will cost us money!" Last time we joined we had hassles with officious wardens. This time around helpful wardens and nice sites, but with a management that lives in cuckoo land and distances themselves from the members.
All I am asking is for disabled C & CC members to be treated the same as other members and either be given a code to enter disabled facilties or for the facilities to be accessible with a RADAR key. Is that too much to ask?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
This time of year when many caravanners store their caravans for the winter is a popular time to plan the next years trips which may explain why the bookings system has been so busy, coupled with the fact that the bookings system takes bookings for Club sites, Certified Sites and privately owned sites that are listed by the club.
The C&CC doesn't only consist of tourer owners and motorhomers, there are many tent campers who are C&CC members and they also use the online booking system as do those who book log cabins etc.
I wouldn't be surprised at the high numbers of bookings at this time of year.
The C&CC have acknowledged that there are issues with the new booking system which is why they have reminded members of the telephone numbers in their statement.

What arrangements do the Caravan Club have regarding access to disabled facilities?
Obviously a vandalised toilet or shower / bathroom is no use to anybody and the need for controlled access to these facilities is obvious. I'd agree that RADAR keys would be the best option to ensure exclusive use by those in genuine need of disabled access.
Perhaps the C&CC could copy the CC arrangements so that access to disabled facilities is standardised.

If the spokesperson has stated that the club is looking into ways to make disabled access to facilities easier for those who need it there's no real reason to doubt their word, but there's nothing to stop you from writing a follow up letter or email which expresses your doubts and outlining your strong feelings on this issue.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Thanks Parksy as I have calmed down now. When I could not use the online booking system and then getting the email which read as if though they were fobbing me off, I lost it a bit as I was rather annoyed.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Surfer said:
Thanks Parksy as I have calmed down now. When I could not use the online booking system and then getting the email which read as if though they were fobbing me off, I lost it a bit as I was rather annoyed.
It's so easy to become frustrated and annoyed when these sort of things happen Surfer.
Believe me, in the past I've been there!
Nothing caravan or computer related in my case, and I've learned to avoid stressful situations now, but what you must try to guard against is stress which can lead to poor health and a slow drive down the road with the man in the big black car (to paraphrase Fred Dibnah)
Life really is too short, try to take a few deep breaths, remove yourself from the problem and try to relax, difficult though it may seem at times
smiley-wink.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Parksy said:
Surfer said:
It's so easy to become frustrated and annoyed when these sort of things happen Surfer.
Believe me, in the past I've been there!
Nothing caravan or computer related in my case, and I've learned to avoid stressful situations now, but what you must try to guard against is stress which can lead to poor health and a slow drive down the road with the man in the big black car (to paraphrase Fred Dibnah)
Life really is too short, try to take a few deep breaths, remove yourself from the problem and try to relax, difficult though it may seem at times
smiley-wink.gif

Done that as booked in at a CC site nearby. No issues with doing the booking and they have RADAR key entry to disabled facilities.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts