Camping & Caravan Club Insurance

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I know there is a specific insurance section but felt more people will see the post here.
The last couple of years I have insured my 2015 van with the above the first year was £250.11 and last year £264.25 and my renewal has just arrived and its .............
£197.21 a reduction of 25% with all details being the same for what is covered and for how much , I have checked with them and it is not an error but is due to a change in underwriter from AM Trust Europe Ltd to Ageas Insurance Ltd.
So if you renewal is due check them out as I love a 25% drop in premium.

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up - ours will be due in a few weeks time so i will be sure to check it and hope for a similar reduction - happy days if that is the case across the board :)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes , got mine on Saturday, £329 down to £252, new for old on our 2013 Coachman 560 VIP. So happy at that :cheer:

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
My renewal with CCC came in the post last week. (2014 Xplore). Last year £252 this year £256. That's agreed value as they don't make an equivalent 3 berth any more. I am thinking of just getting market value as that brings the premium down to £202. Caravan club quote for market value was over £300. :(

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’m asking this question for my daughter and her other half, they have a 2 year old 5 maybe 6 berth Adria and have been told must get a tracker or specific alarm fitted to get insurance, do people on here find insurance companies asking for this? I’m not sure who they’ve tried but going by this post they need to be trying camping & caravan club.

BP

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We do not have a tracker nor an alarm , we do have hitch lock wheel clamp and its kept on a secure site which has gold Award for insurance and insured through Adrian Flux some are through the clubs too.

Craig

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m with the CMHC but have also used C&CC and neither have ever asked for an alarm or tracker system. All they require is a hitch lock and wheel lock.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
With the CMHC. Last year I abandoned paying Tracker £175 pa. Club insurers charged me £25 extra fo not having the tracker. Actually the truth was I got an extra discount for having the Tracker. All They require now is a clamp on both axles and a hitch lock.
Our Tug is also insured through the CMHC, with the Aegeas. No complaints.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
our policy through CV&CC is due for renewal next month so will see what the premium is although as we had a claim I will not be as lucky as some of you. The claim was dealt with faultlessly though so I have no complaints there but that was with AMTrust and not sure about the change.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Grahamh said:
C&CC only require a hitch lock, anything else is your choice although you do get better discount.

Their current policy wording is "Approved Security Device" so would an Alko Wheel Lock be within that definition. Although for twin axles they require both wheels on one side to be immobilised if the Approved Security Device is a wheel lock. So presumably a hitch lock would be okay. Strange though that the definition of Approved isn't given? What level of security is deemed adequate. Their policy wording is delightfully vague in some respects so I guess that the details would come out as you go for a quote.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Grahamh said:
C&CC only require a hitch lock, anything else is your choice although you do get better discount.

My C&CC policy doesn't even require a hitchlock .....it just effects the excess. There seem to be endless variations!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Frankly I do not know why they even bother with a hitchlock requirement. They are overcome by thieves within seconds, as theives can easily chain the caravan to the towing vehicle and some thieves have even fabricated a frame to go over the A frame on the caravan to tow it away. Wheel locks at least hold them up and removing them is only feasible when there is no one watching, so they do afford a level of protection. The only use for hitchlocks is in my mind to lock the caravan to the car when stopped at services and the like. If your policy requires a hitchlock or any other safeguard though you should fit one.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Raywood said:
Frankly I do not know why they even bother with a hitchlock requirement. They are overcome by thieves within seconds, as theives can easily chain the caravan to the towing vehicle and some thieves have even fabricated a frame to go over the A frame on the caravan to tow it away. Wheel locks at least hold them up and removing them is only feasible when there is no one watching, so they do afford a level of protection. The only use for hitchlocks is in my mind to lock the caravan to the car when stopped at services and the like. If your policy requires a hitchlock or any other safeguard though you should fit one.
We have an ALKO hitchlock and doubt very much if it can be overcome easily. We have one of the ALKO premium hitch locks fitted. http://www.al-ko.com/shop/uk_vt/products/caravan-accessories-1/caravan-security/security-device-aks-2004-3004.html

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The problem with the hitchlock is not the difficulty in overcoming it but the fact it can be sidelined. The thieves can easily tow away a caravan with a hitchlock still in place and then deal with it at leisure later.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Raywood said:
The problem with the hitchlock is not the difficulty in overcoming it but the fact it can be sidelined. The thieves can easily tow away a caravan with a hitchlock still in place and then deal with it at leisure later.
One of the reasons why we have an active Tracker from Phantom.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Buckman said:
Raywood said:
Going full circle. See earlier post.
Premium without Tracker plus £25. Tracker subscription £175. So with CMHC insurers ok we binned the Tracker.
There is another factor to remember. A lot of people whose caravan is stolen
don’t want it back after it has been used and abused.....

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just got my annual insurance quote through today,I think it's the first time ever I've had any insurance premium go down,without a phone call to argue.Although the thread is for c&cc mines with camc.Very happy.
P.s Grahamh we have the same van and this year£181 (although I upped the excess to £500).

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Interesting we are with NFU Mutual and our premium dropped this time. I don't know why and it could be due to their bonus system whereby policy holders get a share of the profits. Security wise we have to fit a wheel lock. (I don't use the Alko lock on site due to difficulties leveling the van and lining up the lock.) We are on gold storage and don't have a tracker, just alarm.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
waffler said:
Interesting we are with NFU Mutual and our premium dropped this time. I don't know why and it could be due to their bonus system whereby policy holders get a share of the profits. Security wise we have to fit a wheel lock. (I don't use the Alko lock on site due to difficulties leveling the van and lining up the lock.) We are on gold storage and don't have a tracker, just alarm.

I’m with CMHC and have to use a wheel lock but I didn’t claim the discount for the Alko. I only use it when stored at home as I too find it a real fiddle to get lined up on site. No way do I plan on jacking the caravan up just to fit the Alko. So I use a different wheel lock when touring.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Buckman said:
Raywood said:
Going full circle. See earlier post.
Premium without Tracker plus £25. Tracker subscription £175. So with CMHC insurers ok we binned the Tracker.
There is another factor to remember. A lot of people whose caravan is stolen
don’t want it back after it has been used and abused.....

I specifically stated Phantom Tracker as the Tracker Retrieve is useless and not worth having. The sub for the Phantom Tracker for 5 years was under £400. With the Phantom Tracker you are notified immediately the alarm sounds or the caravan is moved unlike the Tracker where you have to notify them the caravan is missing. As we have the Phantom tracker we would like our caravan to be recovered as soon as possible which helps to keep insurance premiums down. Also less hassle than going through a claim. However every one has a choice and it is to be hoped that it is the right choice.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Brasso,
my excess is £250 and with market value cover premium is £202. How are you getting on with the van? Since new in 2014 we have had 2 chargers fail, front window replaced due to leak (under warranty)and over cooker cupboard doors replaced twice (under warranty). Thankfully no damp but service due next week. Oh and we changed the awful TV aerial. camc quoted me over £300 :eek:hmy:

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Grahamh,we love the van,bought it at 18mths old,no problems since other than 60 % damp in n/s wheel arch!!!!stripped it down,replaced wood in arch,re bonded everything back together ,replaced two fridge vents as this is source of fault,all good 8 mths on.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Long story,basically because the selling dealer (not ncc approved ,but featured in mag shootout,50 yrs selling etc) stamped it to say they serviced it prior to sale elddis refused to honour warranty.
But,if you want a job doing right,do it yourself ,just put awning up and got on with it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts