Camping Roma Flash Sporting, Nr Rome - Campsite review

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Camping Roma Flash Sporting is situated on the western shores of Lake Bracciano approx 40 Km north of Rome. It is featured in the Alan Rogers "Italy" guidebook. The site has 2 main pitching areas. There is the area nearest to the Lake which is very well shaded, made dark even, by mature tree and where the pitches are packed closely together. The second area is further from the Lake and more open although it still has some shade. The pitches tend to be larger in this second area. There are, also, some static caravans in this area. Dog owners are restricted to the second area and dogs are, also, banned from the Lakeside and the Lake itself.

The Lake is a reservoir for Rome's drinking water but can be used for swimming and non-powered boating. There is a beach and grass sunbathing area. The site, also, has a bar restaurant adjacent to the Lake with a terrace overlooking the Lake. This serves reasonably priced food. There is, also, a small shop where bread can be ordered each evening for the next day. The shop and restaurant do not accept cash but use an card which can be "loaded" with cash. This card, also, serves to open the entrance barrier. There are, also, tennis courts (charged), a small outdoor pool and tennis table (both free). There is, also, a sports area. The toilets blocks are clean and adequate and include a washing up room and launderette with washing machines and dryers.

The town of Bracciano has a hilltop castle which makes a picturesque backdrop to the Lake views from the campsite. There is a local bus service into the town which has a weekly market, several small supermarkets and a good range of other shops. There is a railway station with regular trains into the centre of Rome some 45 mins journey away. We travelled in twice during our stay and enjoyed seeing the famous sites for the first time.

Elide the lady owner, who is always on duty in reception, speaks excellent English. I do have a slight reservation here in that whilst generally helpful I noticed that she could be rather rude and aggressive to guests with whom she disagreed and quite abrupt and sarcastic at other times. There are PAYGo internet facilities on 2 computers in the reception area. (It is whilst using the internet facilities that I heard Elide arguing with some of the guests.)

This is a good site for visiting Rome with the cooler Lakeside to recuperate by. The breezes from the Lake were pleasantly cooling when the temperatures were in the mid 30's Celsius. We stayed 10 days in early August in our caravan. There were free pitches available throughout the time we stayed there

Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
I don't know if I'm supposed to answer to this posting, but I wondered if this site was suitable for twin axle caravans. I had a look at the website and it looks very nice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Suzan

Yes of course you can reply to this post. I put it on to help people.

How long is your twin-axle. We have a Bailey Arizona which, at 7.2 metres, is only 15cm shorter than our previous twin-axle Avondale Landranger.

Certainly our 'van, and the previous would have too, fitted onto the larger, newer pitches further away from the Lake with room for our awning 2.4 wide on one side and room to spare on the other for the car to be parked.

In fact on our final night we hitched up our car as we were wanting to get away first thing. The car is c 5.5 metres long and they both fitted on the pitch lengthways.

The other Italian site we stayed on this year. Riva di Pietro was a lot tighter but we mangaged.

Two sites we used last year which had large enough pitches for the Landranger were Camping La Riva on Lake Como and Camping Cavallino on the Jesolo Peninsula near Venice. We only booked La Riva in advance - all the others we just phoned on the day before and got pitches even though it was July/August.

We love Italy please post if you have any further questions. I'll be glad to answer them if I can.

Best wishes

Tim

Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Suzan

Yes of course you can reply to this post. I put it on to help people.

How long is your twin-axle. We have a Bailey Arizona which, at 7.2 metres, is only 15cm shorter than our previous twin-axle Avondale Landranger.

Certainly our 'van, and the previous would have too, fitted onto the larger, newer pitches further away from the Lake with room for our awning 2.4 wide on one side and room to spare on the other for the car to be parked.

In fact on our final night we hitched up our car as we were wanting to get away first thing. The car is c 5.5 metres long and they both fitted on the pitch lengthways.

The other Italian site we stayed on this year. Riva di Pietro was a lot tighter but we mangaged.

Two sites we used last year which had large enough pitches for the Landranger were Camping La Riva on Lake Como and Camping Cavallino on the Jesolo Peninsula near Venice. We only booked La Riva in advance - all the others we just phoned on the day before and got pitches even though it was July/August.

We love Italy please post if you have any further questions. I'll be glad to answer them if I can.

Best wishes

Tim
Hi Tim

Our 'van is 8 metres! We were in Italy once before, a long, long time ago and went on our first caravanning holiday with a very small van to Camping Weekend on Lake Garda - I remember the pitches there being VERY small! We were novices to camping, but we had a wonderful time, that's why we wanted to go back and do a longer holiday.

Any information or advice you can give us would be very much appreciated. It seems that 3 months isn't going to be long enough to pack in all the sights! We are trying to read up as much as possible, about culture, sights, food etc. Advice from 'caravanner' to 'caravanner' is especially appreciated!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Suzan

Your van would fit on the newer pitches at Roma Sporting Flash and some at Camping La Riva and Cavallino. On Cavallino some of the access roads were a bit tight due to trees, etc. A bit of reversing, etc necessary to get around some corners. Roma Sporting had the best access. Riva San Pietro would probably be a bit on the small side for your van.

I'd have thought 3 months would give you a lot of time to see the sights. We have developed a pattern of going for 4-5 weeks and staying roughly half the time at near one of the Northern Lakes, on the way there or coming home and half at another site. 2006 Lake Como then Venice. 2007 Rome then Lake Iseo. This means that we combine a sightseeing site with a more relaxing one. Cavallino with its easy access to the Adriatic and nearby boat to Venice, 45 mins meant that we could balance sight seeing with recovery relaxation on the beach. At Roma SF we recovered by the Lake, cooling breezes after sightseeing in Rome with its temperatures of 33 Celsius.

To save repeating myself have a look at the post on this thread entitled "We're new to camping - PLEASE ADVISE" as I've put a lot of information on their. To see my reviews of La Riva, L Como and Cavallino nr Venice www.caravanning4u.co.uk, the overseas campsite review section.

If you have any specific question please feel free to ask.

Best wishes

Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts