Can 4-5 k can buy good caravan (4 berth)

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I am considering buying a caravan. It would be an upgrade from the tent, so any caravan realiable will be ok. The main reason is to be able to work from it (which is not possible from a tent). I am happy to do most DYI jobs (I have a lot of boat maintenance experience) and pay for towing and wheels related repairs. Obviously dump or bad-looking interior is a no-no, but I am not looking for anything superior.
I wonder if I am being reliable and I could get something for 4-5k? Are there some well-known dealerships near London which I could trust? Is there any paperwork that should be included with the caravan?

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Like second hand cars, it's going to be a bit of a gamble but you should definitely be able to find something in that price range.
Prices have gone crazy this year though as you may have noticed and there is a lot of tarted up carp around so you will have to do your homework.
You may have to travel some distance to get the caravan of your dreams though.
Also have an idea of how many berths , layout, size and weight you want/can tow with your car/license (although this may change eventually!)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Firstly, and given past experience from most of us, I doubt there is a dealership in the whole UK you could fully trust. Some may be better than others, but trust me, If a dealership takes a lemon in px, they will have no qualms about selling it on.

However, yes, you can be a relaible caravan for 4 or 5k, but its pot luck. If you want to spend 5k on an old caravan, and it be worth 5k, delaers are not your best port of call, as they need to tuen a profit and are very good at doing so. add this to the massive shortage of new and used caravans, the prices are going to be inflated.

I would tend to look in the classified ads, and see if you can find a bargain there. Perhaps somebody giving up that has looked after or had the caravan from new. Invest in a damp meter, cheap enough at screwfix and learn about the most common water ingress points.

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for anwsers. I have question - probably very hard - what would 5k buy now and before lockdown? Maybe you have personal examples or you know could post links to discussions on this forum.
For me the most important part for caravan is that it will be roadworthy and safe to tow. And solid - but leaking windows etc I can fix. I could even buy a project as long as it fits my requirements.

Also have an idea of how many berths , layout, size and weight you want/can tow with your car/license (although this may change eventually!)

I would like to have anything that has an end bedroom with doors and at least 4 berths. I think my car can tow up to 1500 kg (2013 Honda CRV 2.0 petrol auto).

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for anwsers. I have question - probably very hard - what would 5k buy now and before lockdown? Maybe you have personal examples or you know could post links to discussions on this forum.
For me the most important part for caravan is that it will be roadworthy and safe to tow. And solid - but leaking windows etc I can fix. I could even buy a project as long as it fits my requirements.

I would like to have anything that has an end bedroom with doors and at least 4 berths. I think my car can tow up to 1500 kg (2013 Honda CRV 2.0 petrol auto).
My 2013 Sprite Musketeer TD was quoted at ยฃ7k cash sale by dealer in June 2021 ยฃ8k a year later in June 2020. Sold for more than that in June within 4 hours of the advert appearing in Autotrader that month. In fact it sold for not much less than I paid for it in December 2016.

Iโ€™d wait a while and just patiently observe the market as Iโ€™m sure there will be ones coming on the market where people give up for various reasons. Iโ€™m sure that some will be from owners who donโ€™t like caravanning.

Look for one thatโ€™s had a recent AWS service or if not a recent damp survey. Chassis, wheels, electrics etc can be corrected relatively cheaply. Damp can be a wallet killer.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
My 2013 Sprite Musketeer TD was quoted at ยฃ7k cash sale by dealer in June 2020. ยฃ8k a year later in June 2020.
Thats cheap - I can see that currently they are at least 11k!

Damp can be a wallet killer.
What you mean by wallet killer? I found an excellent video series on YT: Repairing a dump caravan. Looks like a lot of work but not that expensive (I already have tools)?

By quickly scrolling through those videos, I can see that caravans are build in quite primite way - timber frame, plywood floor and some plastic sheets, is that correct?

Edit: I always thought that there is at least steel/alloy frame which takes that load and to which all parts (walls/roof) are bolted.

Last edited:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
What you can do personally through your own DIY skills can make a huge difference. If you are competent and confident in the work required then it would come in considerably cheaper than it would for us where DIY stands for DESTROY it yourself.
The important thing is to know what you are taking on. So go armed with damp meter and a suspicious mind.
Mel

Reactions: Parksy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thats cheap - I can see that currently they are at least 11k!

What you mean by wallet killer? I found an excellent video series on YT: Repairing a dump caravan. Looks like a lot of work but not that expensive (I already have tools)?

By quickly scrolling through those videos, I can see that caravans are build in quite primite way - timber frame, plywood floor and some plastic sheets, is that correct?

Edit: I always thought that there is at least steel/alloy frame which takes that load and to which all parts (walls/roof) are bolted.
The two prices I quoted were for me selling to a dealership with no purchase by me. The dealerships were advertising similar vans ยฃ2-3k more. I sold mine privately. There is a steel galvanised chassis on which the body is attached. Why did you ask ?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with the others that prices are very high now and waiting a bit might get a better deal. You do need to be very careful at that price level particularly making sure it is damp free. A good damp meter is essential and all working parts need to be checked but a genuine seller should allow you to check them, Any one who refuses should be avoided. Just take your time and be careful, as there are perfectly good models out there if you are patient.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Agree with the others. Damp is your enemy. You need to know where and how to take the meter readings. Google it. Imo by middle of next year there will be a lot of used caravans flooding the market as people fly off to sunnier climes. Maybe bide your time.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
A sound piece of advice would be to take somebody with you that knows caravans, or for a small fee have it inspected by the CAMC. AT that price though, my advice is still to go private.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
i would look on preloved you might be able to pick up a 4 berth but like someone says take someone who knows what to look for
BB said We brought our present caravan only one owner from new on preloved around the price you are looking at.
Is this yours BB?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure the number of berths makes any difference although caravans used by families might have had a harder life. Two berths though might have been used by retired couples who would possibly have used it more often.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our 2 berth might be a good buy because it does not get used from (Nov - March) and it not been to many times this season but we are not upgrading it for two years .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our 2 berth might be a good buy because it does not get used from (Nov - March) and it not been to many times this season but we are not upgrading it for two years .
Lots donโ€™t get used in winter but why should winter use be a problem. Caravans are designed for year round use. Itโ€™s the condition of the caravan that is important. Had it been well looked after internally, is the exterior generally ding free, has it been serviced and has it got a recent damp survey. Whether itโ€™s been used or not used in winter is irrelevant

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Some years ago we used to go caravanning in winter but not now i find it to cold and ours has a breathable cover on and we left some windows slightly open . . The end of October our caravan was having the awning rails took off and resealed we got a leak on the right side front where the window is but when our caravan repairer came to check it with a damp meter guess what not one beep so he said don"t touch what is not broken. so it be check again in April 2022 that when the service is due

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Outdoorguy, one of the problems you might find is that sites may not allow you to stay for more than a month. But private ( farmers etc ) may be no problem. We try and caravan all,year round with no problems except for appointments and family stuff. Caravan is fine in the winter but it is a 2013 model.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our 2005 Bailey Series 5 was one of the first designs where better insulation was installed and more modern vans have improved further. Our S5 was fine in winter

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Outdoorguy, one of the problems you might find is that sites may not allow you to stay for more than a month. But private ( farmers etc ) may be no problem. We try and caravan all,year round with no problems except for appointments and family stuff. Caravan is fine in the winter but it is a 2013 model.
Never been cold in our 12 year Old during the winter. Woolly jumpers are marvellous๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts