Can anyone help me?

Jun 26, 2006
Visit site
I am driving to through France from Calais on route to Spain. I have allowed 4 days to get to final destination which is booked but I have not booked any overnight pitches in France either on way or returning. Is this wise or foolish? Can anyone suggest good sites, routes - should I use autoroutes etc. Never done such an adventurous trip and very anxious that I won't find anywhere to stay on way!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Hylton, in my opinion you are doing the correct thing, we have NEVER pre-booked any sites through France and always stop for the night when we feel ready. When you leave the motorways or drive through small towns you see signs for camping sites and we have never failed to find a site for the night. Some have been very basic, some very good and sometimes a bit out of the way. Remember that sites usually close receptions around 8pm so any early search is advisable. Good luck Tony

Jun 2, 2006
Visit site
It depends rather where in Spain you are going to end up. Have a look at previous topics, in particular the one about the peripherique.

Agree with Tony about the sites as nearly every village has one and they are usually quiet unless near an obvious attraction.

Autoroutes make it easier but can be boring and of course expensive, the AA road maps clearly show which ones are free.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
You dont say when you are going obviously in the peak weeks it is harder to find pitches but inland should not be a problem.Four days to get down there should mean not too much driving each day,Autoroutes are far and away the quickest but can be expensive depending which way you go and you dont see the 'real France' that way.Plan to stop around 5-6pm so time to chill out and reat for the next day.

I always use either Caravan Club or Alan Rodgers site books to pick out possible stopovers but then stop when ready but nice to know where sites are if you are tired and dont want to go searching.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi hylton it depends what time you are travelling in early summer untill october you shouldn't have any problems but during out of season it can be difficult finding site open have a caravan club guide caravan europe 1 it's in valable and lists hundred's of site and there opening times you can order it on the web well wort it. we travel down most winters and don't have too many problems. happy vanning peter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you pick the route carefully, you can incorporate stretches of toll-free autoroute with stretches of the old Route nationales that the aturoroute bypasses. Typical is the RN 137 down the west coast of France. on the Michelin maps the distance markers on non-toll autoroutes are shouwn in blue and those on toll in red. Michelin also do a planning map "Grandes Routes" which shows these more clearly.

It it sometimes worth using short stretches of toll route to get round large towns - usually only two or three junctions.

The "old" RNs usually have good laybys (since they were the main truck routes before the autoroutes) which are better for lunch breaks etc. than some of the autoroute service areas. (Same applies in UK, e.g. old A6 in the Lake District alongside M6).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You don't say how far into Spain you are going, although 4 seems quite comfortable. I don't think you should be worried too much about booking site along the way as most of the campsites near the autoroute are used to people overnighting. If you have a look at this link on my website I have listed the sites we have used down through the middle of France http://www.davidklyne.plus.com/TheRouteSouth.htm

As to whether or not to use the motorway or N roads it will depend on how you like to travel. There are quite a few options for getting off the autoroute but of course that takes more planning.

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When we went to Northern Spain we stayed at Guinnes near to Calais and had one or two nights at Beaune or Macon en route.

They are both near to the autoroute pay motorway.

Incidentally if you have a motorhome and a blue disabled badge you can get a reduction on the toll motorways in France

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The route we always use is Calais to Senlis (north of Paris) on the motorway, then the Francilienne (Paris outer ring road - NOT THE PERIPHERIQUE!!!)around to Evry, then the motorway again down to Nemours. The total toll cost for this, including caravan is about 30 euros. We then take the N road and on and off the various bits of motorway via Montargis, Nevers, Moulins, then Grannat, and on to the A75 in Clermont Ferrand. (Tolls around 9 euros). From Clermont Ferrand south this is a spectacular road - and you get to cross the new Millau viaduct (toll 7.70 euros). If you've three overnight stops I'd do Gien, on the Loire (just off the above route - and there's a municipal site right on the river - if you're lucky you'll see Osprey's fishing in the Loire), then around Clermont Ferrand somewhere, (volcanos) then down on the med south of Beziers somewhere. Three very different areas, plenty of sites (so outside peak season you shouldn't have a problem - and generally a much less expensive route in terms of tolls, than going down the Rhone Valley.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts