Can anyone identify this caravan?

Aug 19, 2024
Visit site
Evening all!

As lovers of camping we are looking into getting our first van. We are currently looking into buying an older caravan and came across this but I'm not quite sure what it is. I believe it might be a Sprite Alpine but I was wondering if anyone had a better idea?

Many thanks.

Ant

Attachments

• 1000044588.jpg
    1000044588.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 25
  • 1000044590.jpg
    1000044590.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 1000044589.jpg
    1000044589.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 1000044591.jpg
    1000044591.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 23
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can't say with certainty, but the van does have similarities to other pictures of Sprite Alpines from around the 1970's, the biggest clue is the rear view where the window seems to be framed by a moulded panel detail.

Whilst the pictures you have provided seems to show the body in reasonable order, it simply isn't possible for us to determine any realistic assessment of it's overall condition, and whether it would be safe to tow. It would need a hands on inspection to give a real assessment.

One of the reasons we don't see many of these caravans on the road today, is because most have suffered terminal wear and tear by this age, and if the internal bracing in the walls hasn't rotted away, the bolts and screws that hold the body to the chassis have usually given up the effort.

The caravan you have pictured has I think had at least one repaint, and I also suspect it's had its road lighting changed, so it's quite far from original.

Unless you are very experienced with repairing old caravans, I think I'd advise you to look for a considerably younger and more modern design.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum Ant.

It is a very brave person who ventures towards a nigh on 50 year old caravan as their first choice.
Do you have metal work and carpentry skills?
The chassis will probably be an old B&B or Peak. Spares are rare. Probably still using a 2” hitch.
Does it come with any service history and annual damp meter readings?
As said by others this may well be a cash hungry beast.
If you see it as a potential vintage restoration project fine but certainly not for the faint hearted.

Reactions: otherclive
Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Pretty sure it is a Sprite Alpine.
Don't be put off by the 'nay sayers'. A cheap intro to caravanning is the way to go IMHO, not much lost if you don't like it .
Bear in mind it will probably need a new pair of tyres.
Nothing ventured , nothing gained.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If the handbrake has been ON long term the brake shoes may have bound to the drums and could need freeing before any towing is planned. Easy enough to check though, just try pushing if.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It rather looks like it's been used as a static garden structure so the chassis underneath could be in any state - although fortunately Sprites of that age use a proper steel girder chassis with trailing arm suspension, coil springs and dampers - unlike later caravans using the lightweight alko wishbone which relys on the floor for it's integrity.

Aug 19, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for all the input guys it's much appreciated.

I haven't seen it in person , and on further talks with the current owner it seems they are selling it on behalf of someone else. They don't seem to have any idea of the history of it, what's been done or what hasn't been done so I think on that basis, we will continue looking around.

I may go and view just out of interest and to get an idea of what to look out for in the future.

Thanks again everyone.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I haven't seen it in person , and on further talks with the current owner it seems they are selling it on behalf of someone else. They don't seem to have any idea of the history of it, what's been done or what hasn't been done so I think on that basis, we will continue looking around.
You have definitely made the right decision. The person selling the caravan does not have title to sell it, and realistically you need to deal with the owner.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
It's definitely a Sprite Alpine, probably from the late 70s/ Early 80s. [This book is my source] as it appears they switched to acrylic windows from about 1983.

I have recent experience of this era of caravan, as we bought a Ci Cadet 10 from eBay in virtually identical colours [Repainted obviously], but it got us into caravanning ourselves.

The seller owned the caravan having bought it to refurb and flip. But there was no ownership documents or CRiS registration like with new/modern vans. The electrics were also working and tyres were ok when we towed it home, but were replaced as a precaution. If you were to proceed and wanted to tour, I would at least get a caravan engineer to view the van to see what issues would stop you from towing it away or prevent touring.

Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
Reminds of one that’s parked on someone’s drive near us. It was there when we moved here 15 years ago & it’s never moved. Ever.
Who knows though, it may be being used as a shed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts