can I put a normal tv,dvd or radio in a caravan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have been wondering about buying a tv/dvd combi and a radio for a caravan can you put a normal one in or does it have to be a special one .

Any help would be apprectated

Michelle

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes you can put a normal tv/dvd combi in the caravan. However they are larger have you considered one made for caravans as they run on either 12v or 240v mains electric. As for the radio we have found portable ones mostly unable to receive stations inside a caravan to combat this most people install 12v car radios connected to external tv aireal. we have done this ourselves.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we've got a normal portable tv in ours. The only problem is that we can only use it if we have electric hook-up. I think that the special caravan ones probably have a connection for battery too. Hope this helps!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A normal TV/DVD is OK provided you are going to use a mains hook-up. If you plan to use the caravan's battery, then choose one with a 12V DC option that has very low power consumption. You can get separate DVD's that are very compact. This could be a better bet than buyng a combi. A standard car radio/CD player is very suitable for a caravan. Try https://www.hiwayhifi.com

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Michelle,You can run just about any 230v main appliance from a caravan battery by using a inverter which plugs into the 12volt caravan system. This converts your caravan battery 12vDC power to 230vAC power. Simple & cheap ( a 150w inverter will run a 14" TV/DVD combo & can be bought from Maplins for under

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I run a normal portable tv in our caravan off of an in- vertor linked to a spare leisure battery which i charge at home and i get 14 hrs from that battery plenty for a weekend unless you are a telly addict!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As other have correctly suggested a car radio is the best option, but you'll probably need to install a suitable aerial aswell. We use a portable Sony CD/Radio which has its own built in aerial and preset radio stations, which cost about

I've been thinking on the same lines and was going to go for the following. As I'm trying to do some courses with the Open University at the moment, I've had the idea of purchasing a cheapish laptop computer. This will enable me to work on my course when we're away (and by being away I'm not suspect to the distractions found at home). This will come with a DVD drive and by purchasing an external TV decoder it'll provide us with TV and Radio as well. This will take up very little space, and the power consumption would be a lot less than a traditional TV as its an LCD screen (I hope this is the case, I may be wrong though). Has anyone else done the same or have experience of the external TV decoder widgets of which I speak?

Cheers

Tony

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a note of caution if you are considering usung a car type radio in a caravan. I have come across some models of Car radios that seem to use quite a lot of power (5A in one case with the volume turned down!), and would be a significant drain on the 12 V battery. Others are designed to have a permanant 12V supply to keep the digital memories working. This is fine in car where you have a large alternator recharging the battery, but less convenient in a caravan. Check the power consumption before purchase, you should not need to exceed 1 to 2 Amps at max volume.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a purchased a new Lunar Chateau 470 this year.Contrary to what the manual states there is no way of disconnecting the water pump in order to leave the taps open to avoid frost damage other than disconnecting the battery every time we come back from a winter/spring trip.any ideas?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts