Can it get worse

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Funeral for my wife last Wednesday. Went to print photos, printer not working. Tumble dryer showing fault , rang Hotpoint, waiting 50 minuets and still they could not resolve. Went to dealer where we bought dryer and lorry cut in front of me taking out mirror ,scored wing,and two doors. Desk top and laptop going bonkers. Getting worried whether will something happen to stop me going on holiday on my own this September

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Granny said bad luck runs in 3s. You’ve had 6 so I am confident Robert you can now cherish the memories of your wife and enjoy your September holiday 👍👍

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m sure when this troubling spell has abated you will be able to enjoy a holiday in September with some peaceful reflections.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the list of incidents you have more than had your fair share of troubles,, Sure that your planned holiday in September will be your chance to take a deep breath, relax and remember all the happy memories with your wife. Hoping that the future brings you all you wish for yourself and your family.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Wishing you well for your September break, relax and raise a glass or two, remembering such times with your wife and beginning to make new memories as you go forward.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Very sorry to hear of your problems and hope things get better soon. We all have runs of bad luck and you certainly have had that but there is always light at the end of the tunnel.
Only help I can think of, is try contacting Hotpoint using the web, assuming your computers will work.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
A little light at that tunnel, today finally downloaded the dash cam file ,140mb and the lorry clearly is cutting a cross me. If I had not braked hard he would probably sent me into the other carriage way. We will see. Other good thing is the coachworks
are picking it up next Wednesday, they say 5to 7 days to do it Again many thanks for comments.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wish you well and hope that things do improve for you.

However with the difficulty with your insurer, they are usually very good at using dashcam footage, so their reluctance to use it suggests it may not be as clear cut as you believe.

We often see what we want to see and miss other important features that others can spot easily.

May I suggest you ask the insurance company to explain their conclusion.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
It was my insurance which to me seems unbelievable, however looking at the dashcam several times I wonder. It was a three lane just after traffic lights, me in outside lane , third party in middle, pulled away and my lane had arrows showing it will go into middle lane about 150 to 200m. Third party at first behind my rear in his lane then quickly appears at my side and then came accross my lh front. I caught his lorry side about 2m from the back. To me he was not looking in his mirrows when he was passing.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It was my insurance which to me seems unbelievable, however looking at the dashcam several times I wonder. It was a three lane just after traffic lights, me in outside lane , third party in middle, pulled away and my lane had arrows showing it will go into middle lane about 150 to 200m. Third party at first behind my rear in his lane then quickly appears at my side and then came accross my lh front. I caught his lorry side about 2m from the back. To me he was not looking in his mirrows when he was passing.
Thanks Robert,
I see.
May I ask why you had not accelerated clear of the TP before your lane ran out of road? It may seem to your Insurers that it was you who changed lanes?? Sorry if I have it wrong . Sometimes it’s best just to take it on the chin and put it down to a bad day in the office😥😥

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Robert,
I see.
May I ask why you had not accelerated clear of the TP before your lane ran out of road? It may seem to your Insurers that it was you who changed lanes?? Sorry if I have it wrong . Sometimes it’s best just to take it on the chin and put it down to a bad day in the office😥😥
For a few seconds my brain was saying in the clear as there was a van in front of me until third party appeared. Yes got to take it on the chin, still first one I have caused since 1954 although three others have run in to me since then

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
For a few seconds my brain was saying in the clear as there was a van in front of me until third party appeared. Yes got to take it on the chin, still first one I have caused since 1954 although three others have run in to me since then
First fault accident in 68 years - respect man, respect!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
... and my lane had arrows showing it will go into middle lane about 150 to 200m...
Based on your description of the road layout, if the arrows indicate your lane (edit) is going to end and you are instructed join merge with the lane on the nearside, then you are responsible for ensuring your move into that lane is carried out safely, even if the lane is disappearing.

I'm sorry but I would agree with your insurers.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would have thought that traffic on your left has to give way for traffic on the right. I am of the opinion that the lorry did not want you pushing in from their right so did not give way resulting in the mishap. TBH I think it is a 50/50.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would have thought that traffic on your left has to give way for traffic on the right. I am of the opinion that the lorry did not want you pushing in from their right so did not give way resulting in the mishap. TBH I think it is a 50/50.

In our area we have two types of merging signs.
On type just shows a lane arrow marking on the road that is pointing to the lane that you are required to merge into. The other type has a sign asking drivers to merge in turn, and assumes that drivers are literate and can understand English. :eek:

CA0DE7EA-4A5B-4F14-BFE0-E8D6CBE6CFA8_4_5005_c.jpeg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In our area we have two types of merging signs.
On type just shows a lane arrow marking on the road that is pointing to the lane that you are required to merge into. The other type has a sign asking drivers to merge in turn, and assumes that drivers are literate and can understand English. :eek:

View attachment 3825
That is very clear unlike many of the merge signs. If caught in the outer lane that merges with inner lane, I wait until someone allows me in before moving.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Is it still getting worse? Today went on the market.com just to see what my insurance would be in 4 weeks time . Last year £ 455 today £ 1200. I have not received my present insurance quote but keeping fingers crossed. History,68 years driving.4years ago whilst parked tipper lorry reversed into the car, admitted liability.few weeks ago got hit as the thread says.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts