Can`t get a straight answer, please help.

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
I drive a 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5 dci Tekna, and tho i dont yet own a caravan i am intending to dive in within the next few months. My question is can it tow a Bailey Senator Wyoming twin axle. This particular van has caught my eye and no end of asking questions elsewhwere can give me a definitive answer; so i`ve come to the place i should have come to first, the experts at Practical Caravan. Please give me a clue?

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
juvetino,

My immediate thoughts were no, the caravan is probably too heavy for the car. I have looked on Nissan's website which sadly doesn't give any unladen or kerbside masses of the vehicles. However, it gives gross vehicle weights and payloads, so looking at it simplistically, the heaviest Quashqai (4WD) looks as if its maximum is 2030 kg, having a payload of 512kg. 2030 - 512 = 1518kg. The, both clubs recommend towing no more than 85% of the kerbside weight of the vehicle, which in this case would be around 1290kg. A quick look at Senator Wyomings gives a MTPLM of 1678kg depending upon their year of manufacture.

If you could give us more information, such as the kerbside weight of your car (or mass in service from your V5), and the year of the caravan you're looking at, we could do better calculations. Whilst the Quashqai (using Nissan again) has a towing limit higher then the MTPLM of the caravan, you could theoretically tow it legally, but probably not safely as you would probably end up with the tail wagging the dog. The bottom line is that even experienced towers shouldn't exceed 100% of the kerbside weight (in the example here 1518kg).

Nigel.

TRENDING THREADS