can you help decide where we go next year

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
hello we are trying to plan next years hols and cant decide where to go so i thought id tell you our life style and see if you can help

in our group there is me,husband,5year old girl and 9 year old boy we holiday with my parents who are 60 and my sister,husband and 2 girls 8 and 13

we love cornwall been there alot so went to devon last year didnt like it and thought wed go back to cornwall but as we are trying to decide a few things are bothering me.

we planned to go to a caravan club site in watergate bay lovely but worry that we wont get next to each other and worry it might be a bit strict on kids having scooters and cornwall is a nightmare to get into in august the site doesnt have anywhere to stop whilst your pitch isnt ready so thinking we might say ****** it lets go to scotland total contrast i know

we like lots to do but dont like all singing all dancing sites good toilets is a must though we like bbq and eating outside our caravan (sharing the cooking)we like to feel safe

we like days out and at least one day is usually a kids day like a theme park or somewhere where its just aimed at the 9,7,4 year old we like walks after tea wander on a beach or by a river most of all we like friendlyness

has anyone any ideas where we can go

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
if you've never been to south wales,tenby is great,you must try there,its as good as cornwall and beaches are fantastic too.everything is there what you want

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
just havent a clue where to go thought about wales but some of the group arnt keen think we are all in love with corwall just not the traffic getting there looked at ilfracombe but they are all big fancy sites gonna have a look at the links youve suggested

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
don't know where you're from,but don't be put off about wales,believe me, its as good as cornwall.they both have their good points and bad points for each individual,but until you try you'll never know.

yes brighouse bay is a good site,expensive and in the middle of nowhere.two beautiful bays on the doorstep but everything else is a drive,but it is good

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
try this site http://www.riverdart.co.uk/ we went to this devon site when our boys were young teenagers and they loved it just read the current reviews and it seems to be just as good as we remember it. lots of outdoor activities for the children. Another good site for families is woodlands near dartmouth expensive but you won't want to leave the site. just put woodlands into google.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We tried Norfolk this year. True, we had the blistering heat but we would have had a great time without it. A special day out is to hire a day boat, some reasonable deals to be had and fun for all the family, (try to get one with facilities such as tap/kettle/loo) let the dads pilot them!

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
Lomond Woods site is one of my favourites,not on the beach but very close to the shores of Loch Lomond

I explained more about this site on a topic called 'October Week' on page 4 of this section

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
tried dartmouth last year stayed at leonards cove very close to blacpool sands and hated it

the beaches are clean but shingle didnt find much to do around there so everyone vowed never again

weve spent hours searching since i first asked you lot and still corwall offers the best in most of our expectations if we could just find a site with a flat walk to the beach(dads got a gammy leg)and find away into cornwall without the hassle

norfolk is next on my list gonnna have a scout around

think scotlands out now though

thanks everyone for your suggestions im sure well find something soon

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi there,

Hope this helps. We stayed at Watergate Bay Touring Park in 1999. They have a website www.watergatebaytouringpark.co.uk I don't know how much it has changed since then but it had a small swimming pool, takeaway and social room for the older children. Our children at the time were 5 and 8 it suited them fine. There was a daily bus down to the beach, you would have to check with the site if they still do this. On looking at their website I noticed they say they have a smaller less developed site overlooking Watergate Bay. We went to a theme park while we were there but can't remember the name of it. Enjoy your hols. Mark

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi Daziki

It is obvious that you all love cornwall just like we do.

By the sound of it we are onlder than you as our kids are in their 20's but we have been going to cornwall for 20 years (from Doncaster).Make the trip part of the holiday.

We have stayed at several sites but this year stayed on the CC site at Tramble valley, it was brillient. Adventure playground for your kids and one area has a large open space that was generally used for ball games. Most families with young kids were around this part of the site, we were just behind it.

Mobile phone reception is Vpoor and you will need approx 20m of arial cable to plug the tv into the hook up post, toilets/showers were excellent. This site has a fairly large area as you enter the site for overnight parking before your pitch is ready the next day.

Anouther site is Trevella, near Newquay, on the Crantock road.

This site is geting a bit big now, but has a swimming pool, fishing lakes and the showers / toilets are quite good but you tend to have to que a bit.

This site also has a huge overnight parking area. We have booked up to 3 caravans next to each other on this site, but as you quite rightly say the problem with a CC site such as Tramble pitching together is not always possible.

Carnnon Downs near Truro is also a very good site with excellent shower and toilet facilities, but no overnight parking.

Stick with Cornwall if you like it so much as you will always be making a comparison.

Good luck

Alan

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
we love cornwall and went to godrevy park cc site in hayle this year. nice site, nice wardens but a trek to the beach down a very steep cliff.

before we bought the van we used to stay in cottages or statics the padstow side of cornwall and loved it. we did that side this year but we went around about 15 site around padstow and that area when we were down there to see where to go next year.

we wasnt that impressed i think we have been spoilt by caravan club sites, lol.

we did find a fantastic site that another member had mentioned to you and its between falmouth and truro. its just off an island really easy to get to. huge pitches, hardstanding, grass pitches, all service pitches with picnic tables. football goal and field, adventure playground. huge family bathrooms in blocks that look like log cabins.you could eat your dinner off the floors.

the grass i think has been cut by a hairdresser its mint.

we loved this site, its 11 out of 10. have a look at the website i think its www.carnondowns.co.uk

if we went to cornwall again we would stay here.

jo-anne

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
cheers everyone think you are right gonna have a look now at the sites suggested and look into breaking the travelling up on the way down good thinking batman

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
Dazicki,

Trewince Farm nr Wadebridge Cornwall may be worth a look, they have some multi service pitches there and you DONT have to arrive and depart on a summer saturday, which makes getting in and out of Cornwall a heck of a lot easier!

They havent got a clubhouse, but Padstow is only 10 mins away in the car. We have been to this site 3 times and will probably return next summer. I think there is a small overnight area as well.

nor

Dec 21, 2003
Visit site
hi we have been going to cornwall for years and love it. we have mostly stayed on the c&cc site at watergate bay. called tregurrian. brillinat site lots to do in and around the area. walking distance to the beach.

other good sites we have been to are trevella and sea view international. but we like the c&cc site the best and our teenage boys did.

we also stayed at godrevey near hayle cc site . we like this as well.

next summer we have decided to go to st davids in wales just for a change. but we shall also go to cornwall.

good luck where ever you go.

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
have we decided yet????? have we pump!!!!!!!!

phoned a few sites most are fully booked in the areas we like (thats the problem with holidaying together)

so i think we are gonna have to join the camping and caravan club and try to get on watergate bay tregurrian the one i liked in the first place and mentioned in my first question (only i put it was a caravan club site ooops)

is the camping and caravan club more or less strict than the caravan club

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, Pembrey CC site is superb. Safe cycling/walking, a first rate beach and the Gower Peninsular nearby. Check it out. Best wishes, George T.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi, Pembrey CC site is superb. Safe cycling/walking, a first rate beach and the Gower Peninsular nearby. Check it out. Best wishes, George T.
Hello Dazicki,

Like most people who love Cornwall stick with it you cant find a better place than Cornwall there is just something that draws you to the place. I am 44 & have been every year since i was 2 so you can see i love it. We now stay on a site just outside Perranporth www.newperran.co.uk for the past 12 years & go everywhitsun & 2 weeks July/August. Lovely clean family run modern toilets perimeter pitches so plenty of space. Close to Perranporth beach but i go to my favourite Crantock about 5 miles away. Im sure you will find a site to suit you from all the suggestions But stay with Corwnwall.

Best Wishes

Dave

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Hello Dazicki,

Like most people who love Cornwall stick with it you cant find a better place than Cornwall there is just something that draws you to the place. I am 44 & have been every year since i was 2 so you can see i love it. We now stay on a site just outside Perranporth www.newperran.co.uk for the past 12 years & go everywhitsun & 2 weeks July/August. Lovely clean family run modern toilets perimeter pitches so plenty of space. Close to Perranporth beach but i go to my favourite Crantock about 5 miles away. Im sure you will find a site to suit you from all the suggestions But stay with Corwnwall.

Best Wishes

Dave

Sep 18, 2005
Visit site
have we decided yet????? have we pump!!!!!!!!

phoned a few sites most are fully booked in the areas we like (thats the problem with holidaying together)

so i think we are gonna have to join the camping and caravan club and try to get on watergate bay tregurrian the one i liked in the first place and mentioned in my first question (only i put it was a caravan club site ooops)

is the camping and caravan club more or less strict than the caravan club
Hi we have just booked up for watergate bay middle of august 07 they only have a few pitches left so be quick, we are not members on c&cc and got booked up no problem.

nor

Dec 21, 2003
Visit site
if you want to go to tregurrian book early you can join when you get there but you need to book at xmas. its a popular spot in a stunning location.

the cc site at treamble valley is nice and godrevey park near hayle. if you want to go in august you need to book at xmas they will fill up quickly.

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi again Dazicki

yuo said in one of your earlier replies that yu may have to look for a stop over part way to Cornwall.

We have actually stopped overnight at the services at Taunton Dean,

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
hi alan i stop at taunton dean every year i take it you wasnt sleeping the year we came on with our saab exhaust blowing that upset a few people wooops.

no seriously not keen on that idea it gets so busy on there im thinking of findind a site on route somewhere

thanks everyone we are going to tregurrian watergate bay if anyone else is there july 28th for 2 weeks fell free to come and have a drink with us we always fly our pirate flags in honour of our dad who thinks he is a pirate of penzance weve tried getting him sectioned but the ****** wont go

TRENDING THREADS