Can you trust Amazon reviews?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I'm generally cautious about believing some of the product reviews on Amazon. Occassionally you'll notice a pattern of 5 star one line reviews that have been entered within a short period of time from each other. Some 5 star reviews are just meaningless such as "Haven't used it yet but it looks good".

Then you have to look carefully at the product being reviewed because the review listings may cover multiple products and not necessarily the one you're interested in.

Seems also that people are often paid to post good reviews. Then there's the scam of sending you unsolicited goods so that the vendor can post good reviews. I've never had anything for free.

Twice now - one a couple of years ago and now one this week - I've had to post justifiably bad reviews of products and then received a direct email from the suppliers offering me a free gift if I edit or take down my bad review. I've reported the suppliers to Amazon.

Buyer beware.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s not just amazon, there’s EBay, trip advisor etc and other sites too. I do look at the reviews but tend to look more widely at the item too then make my mind up. i looked for a roofer a couple of years ago and one review was from his mother saying Fred was an excellent worker, cheerful and conscientious etc. It’s just part of modern online life in this social media age, and we just have to practice Buyer Beware. But I agree on the very few occasions I have had an issue both Ebay and Amazon have been excellent in seeing me right.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As above. I have found that Amazon in particular, are good at resolving issues. But the reviews are useless.

Often when you read them. The reviewer post pictures for a different product.

I once bought a top brand rotary washing line. Just some slight damage due to poor handling. The big problem was the package was too long for any of Amazon’s curriers. Even the one that delivered it. Amazons answer was to send another. My daughter now has a free line.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well i brought something of Amazon 6 days ago because of the reviews and still haven"t receive my goods ask for a refund got it straight away .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well i brought something of Amazon 6 days ago because of the reviews and still haven"t receive my goods ask for a refund got it straight away .
There’s a problem in some areas with deliveries especially if coming in from the EU. I’ve been looking at two European online tyre suppliers, one has suspended deliveries to U.K. for two weeks, the other indefinitely. Gone may be the days when I could obtain tyres from the Netherlands often within 24 hours. And I’ve noticed from our in country outlets the choice of C rated caravan tyres is more limited unless you want “ happy valley” “peaceful serenity” or weird brand names I’ve never heard of but have lots of Feng Shui association 😂

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I also brought something else of Amazon and the reviews on these 4 x Tesco energy saving 11w (54W-60W) E27 Lightbulbs were spot on very happy with this purchase

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Who does write reviews? Rarely do I on Amazon. They ask and invariably I delete them.
However I do place a fair amount of credence on U.K. campsite reviews. Why? Because you can see the posters other reviews and I know a lot of the sites .Generally I find them fairly stated. Amazon etc there is no audit trail so the validity is questionable.

Reactions: ProfJohnL

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I write Amazon reviews for some of the more complicated stuff I buy such as technology items but you can't say much about a box of pencils. Mostly positive reviews although if I get something really bad I'll say so.

I think I read recently that more stuff being sold via Amazon is through their Marketplace Traders than from Amazon Direct - a good many which come from far east of Watford. :) I always check where the buyer is.

Have you also noticed that whereas some items will give a delivery date, quite a number of those coming from far away will give a dispatch by date. - you can then wait a long time for it to arrive.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Most review sites have their problems. Look out for multiple similar reviews, all five star ones bad English and the like. Looked up one and it had 76 reviews all five star. Simply not possible in my book.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Local couriers are not too bad, although I find Hermes to be the worst but then I live in a rural area. The problem to watch out for is those traders who are in China. Dispatch within 2-3 days, then a couple of weeks to get here, then a few more days to finish the final leg of the journey. Mind you sometimes these have been quicker than UK based suppliers.

I ordered a new TV from John Lewis on Dec 9th. In stock and delivery within 7 days. It took over 4 weeks and John Lewis - when I eventually got an answer - had no idea where it was and when it was coming. Ultimately they let me know the day before it was to arrive. Delays do happen but not getting any info is annoying.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I ordered a new TV from John Lewis on Dec 9th. In stock and delivery within 7 days. It took over 4 weeks and John Lewis - when I eventually got an answer - had no idea where it was and when it was coming. Ultimately they let me know the day before it was to arrive. Delays do happen but not getting any info is annoying.

Not doubting that, but as a balance, we very recently got a new oven from John Lewis. Could not fault. Full communication. Bang on time.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Local couriers are not too bad, although I find Hermes to be the worst but then I live in a rural area. The problem to watch out for is those traders who are in China. Dispatch within 2-3 days, then a couple of weeks to get here, then a few more days to finish the final leg of the journey. Mind you sometimes these have been quicker than UK based suppliers.

Hi Sam you think Hermes is worst i had to do a bowel sample for cancer for hospital it was posted with Royal mail tracked 48 it took 8 days to reach destination and yesterday another one came from the same place saying it out of date ,so i am hoping the second sample gets there on time . Also we have live in rural areas and Hermes has been the best so far .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sam you think Hermes is worst i had to do a bowel sample for cancer for hospital it was posted with Royal mail tracked 48 it took 8 days to reach destination and yesterday another one came from the same place saying it out of date ,so i am hoping the second sample gets there on time . Also we have live in rural areas and Hermes has been the best so far .

If you keep up to date with the news you will see that in some areas Royal Mail are very badly affected with absences. It’s really not that surprising when we are in the middle of a pandemic, and any consignments involving Europe are also likely to be affected too.

Expecting things to be normal is completely unrealistic for any courier or mail service at present.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Most of the couriers we see are Hermes DPD, Parcel Force and unknowns using their own private cars. Hermes do very well including a collection service. I guess it’s all down to the person driving the vehicle.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Most of the couriers we see are Hermes DPD, Parcel Force and unknowns using their own private cars. Hermes do very well including a collection service. I guess it’s all down to the person driving the vehicle.

I would mirror your comments and throughout we have been well served by all including Royal Mail. One frustration I have at the moment is I have received my new Dell monitor, speakers etc but the Mac Mini is scheduled for mid February. So I’m without a full size desktop arrangement. But that’s an Apple supply chain issue not delivery companies. The Mini is probably somewhere in a container south of Sri Lanka 🤞

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Before lockdown I regularly went to a location where the Hermes truck stopped and the local cars picked up their packages for delivery... The chucking around of them and lack of care is unbelievable

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If you keep up to date with the news you will see that in some areas Royal Mail are very badly affected with absences. It’s really not that surprising when we are in the middle of a pandemic, and any consignments involving Europe are also likely to be affected too.

Expecting things to be normal is completely unrealistic for any courier or mail service at present.
Hi otherclive the sample was a routine one which everyone is requested to complete the screening programme. It had to be there within a certain period of time, it did not reach its destination on time so a further one needed and sent to Gateshead. With the current climate the NHS is stretched and so my concern is that further contact for another specimen required. Like everyone we are strongly aware of the pressure on all front line workers and have great respect for the work they are achieving at present, not wanting to add to their load...........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts