Car / Caravan Match

Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
We have narrow down on these two models for the caravans we fancied and I wanted to know your thoughts on if you think they are a good match for our car / experience. We are brand new to this and will be taking a training course.

Car - Skoda Kodiaq 2020 190 2L 4x4 - 2 adults + 2 Kids - roof box (no doubt fully loaded) - boot no doubt fully loaded.

Bailey Unicorn Cadiz - 1423kg / 1600kg
Sprite Quatro DD - 1399kg / 1642kg

We like being able to have four fixed single sleeping areas.

Using this website they seemed to be a good match when I put all the rough payload weights in. (caravan - 150kg / car 400kg)

Thanks for any thoughts,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We had a Sprite twin dinette after a four berth fixed end bed. We really appreciated the flexibility of the layout and daytime spaciousness. It wasn’t a hassle putting up the front double. The Sprite range seem to feature well in surveys of pre owned vans. The Bailey is a higher spec but a modern Sprite has all the things a family would need.
The big advantage of the Sprite to my mind is the much higher payload. It’s surprising how quickly your 150 kg into the caravan can be used up. Having an up to an extra 100 kg approx available if required is a boost if you should need it and the car caravan outfit match is within spec.

Reactions: dx4100
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You may want to consider some of the differences between the Bailey and Swift, on the Swift you have a traditional front locker, no front locker at all on the Bailey. The Swift has the battery in a side locker accessible from the outside, the Bailey has the battery under the floor accessible from the inside. On the Swift the electric hook up cable point is on the offside, the Bailey on the nearside, which means it comes in through your awning if you decide to use one. They are not deal breakers, but you may want to consider whether they affect the way you will be using your caravan.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Do you know the kerbweight of your Kodiaq (to which you can add 75kg as VAG group do not include the driver in the calculation). Then especially for new drivers the recommendation is about 85% to provide an ideal weight for the van - judged by the MTPLM that you have quoted in your posting. While Skoda quote I think 2300kg for max tow for the range that would be way over your kerbweight or the 85% figure.

Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
The maximum tow weight of my car isn't exactly defined anywhere.

https://az749841.vo.msecnd.net/site...ec_AUG19.97654d2396bfe02239e7ca0cde5b6159.pdf -

KODIAQ L&K 2.0 TDI 190PS DSG 4x4 SCR 7 Seats

Skoda Maximum kerb weight including driver - 1,886 kg - 2,007kg (guess the optional extras make a difference - presuming tow bar option added some weight - plus I ticked pretty much all the boxes on the other options).

1886 kg * 0.85 = 1603 kg
2007 kg * 0.85 = 1705 kg

The Sprite Quatro DD MTPLM is 1642 kg so depending on which value my car is I would be looking at between 82% to 87%

The Bailey Unicorn Cadiz MTPLM is 1600 kg so depending on which value my car is I would be looking at between 80% to 85%

If the absolute worse case it was 87% I presuming and taking into account we will always have 2 adults + 2 kids + a loaded boot and a roof box. I am guessing that 2% isn't going to be a huge factor - or is it ?

Please point out if my thinking is wrong here - all ears.

Thanks

1651705739870.png
1651705813934.png

Attachments

• 1651705769415.png
    1651705769415.png
    131.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dx4100

It is always sensible to keep the trailers weight as small as possible, and the Industries guidance figures (85% to 100%) are in essence trying to suggest that, but don't get too bogged down with trying to comply precisely with the recommendation, as it is only advice, it has no legal authority, and with modern cars its slightly less of an issue, But as I have said its is a good principle.

Weight ratio's on their own are not the total answer to achieving a good towing combination. You do need to ensure the both the tow vehicle and trailer are in good condition, and adjusted appropriately for tyre pressures. Follow loading advice to keep the trailer centre of mass as close to the axle as possible, and with enough forward offset loading to achieve enough nose load to improve stability at normal speeds.

Remember that by towing a caravan you will be virtually doubling the weight your cars engine has to move so it won't responds as quickly as the solo vehicle, and of course there are lower speed limits for towed combinations.

If you haven't towed extensively, it might be wise to consider taking a towing course with one of teh caravan clubs. It helps with more than just towing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Will be doing a towing course for sure - thanks
The maximum braked and unbraked towing weight is normally vin the V5 document and Gross Vehicle Weight. It should also show Mass in Service which is close enough to kerbweight to calculate the ratio of “kerbweight to MTPLM” Plus your car will have a weight plate normally on a B pillar. It shows four weights. Front axle and rear axle maximum. Gross Train Weight and Gross Vehicle weight. Subtract GVW from GTW and you have maximum towing weight.

If your figures are around the Towcar. info then it’s a good match. The link describes the towing weight label on the car. The zeros for Audi GTW show this car doesn’t have approval to tow. Hopefully yours has a GTW well above the GVW like the Ford. 👍

086196DE-584B-4A89-BC4D-432E63ADC0C3.png

503422A2-9DC5-4467-8D8B-1C8BE54AD0F6.jpeg
https://www.trailertrek.co.uk/towing-weights/

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Having seen a kodiaq towing a 2000 kg Bucanneer ( seriously, couldn't quite believe it) I reckon it'll be easily up to the job of either caravan. It did win towcarcawards. Choose which you prefer. We felt the Bailey build quality better in 2017 when we bought our Verona over a Swift but things may have moved on since. Watch the floor on Bailey. Rot proof construction except the floor is only ply. Mad!

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
The maximum braked and unbraked towing weight is normally vin the V5 document and Gross Vehicle Weight. It should also show Mass in Service which is close enough to kerbweight to calculate the ratio of “kerbweight to MTPLM” Plus your car will have a weight plate normally on a B pillar. It shows four weights. Front axle and rear axle maximum. Gross Train Weight and Gross Vehicle weight. Subtract GVW from GTW and you have maximum towing weight.

If your figures are around the Towcar. info then it’s a good match. The link describes the towing weight label on the car. The zeros for Audi GTW show this car doesn’t have approval to tow. Hopefully yours has a GTW well above the GVW like the Ford. 👍

View attachment 3239

View attachment 3240
https://www.trailertrek.co.uk/towing-weights/

This is mine

20220504_231804.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
2000kg towed load. Good news. Don’t forget though that a 2000kg caravan tows completely differently to say a car trailer with a Aygo on the back. The caravan is a high sided long box reactive to side winds, road perturbations, turbulence from other vehicles and loading Center of gravity. But at your chosen vans it will be a nice tow car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beachball
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Having seen a kodiaq towing a 2900 kg Bucanneer ( seriously, couldn't quite believe it) I reckon it'll be easily up to the job of either caravan. It did win towcarcawards. Choose which you prefer. We felt the Bailey build quality better in 2017 when we bought our Verona over a Swift but things may have moved on since. Watch the floor on Bailey. Rot proof construction except the floor is only ply. Mad!
There are no Buccaneers with MTPLM of 2900kg. Maximum is 2000kg and the maximum tow weight the OP's Kodiaq seems to be 1800kg.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
There are no Buccaneers with MTPLM of 2900kg. Maximum is 200kg and the maximum tow weight the OP's Kodiaq seems to be 1800kg.
Sorry typo; 2000kg max weight of a Buc; just using it to illustrate the potential of the car-not condoning towing that weight with a Kody as the max towball weight is quite low I think-80kg off the top of my head!

I could reply the same as you Buckman-as you've obviously done the same as me and made a typo. So to paraphrase you, there are no Bucanneers with a MTPLM of 200kg. They are 2000kg!!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Good news... found the V5

Mass in service weight is 1968 kg

which gives me 1672 kg using the 85% rule

Is this okay then do we think ?

View attachment 3245

The figures work out spot on, but don't get too hung up over the 85%, it is a guide not a rule, and has been in use for a long time. Whilst it is a god starting point for new caravaners the performance of cars has advanced over the years. they have better suspensions, some have trailer control systems etc. But amongst cars there will be differences in suspension and handling such that a conventional estate with lower profile tyres could be less susceptible to sway caused by the caravan than a high riding SUV with higher profile tyres. This is a generalisation as there willl be differences beween estates of the same basic kerb weight and SUVs of the same kerbweight. Your Skoda is a well regarded tow car and at the MTPLM you are looking at it should be well within its comfort zone. Once get more experience and confidence you should be able to take more use of the DD good payload.

Your V5 MIS figure aligns exactly with the car's weight plate....which it should.

Last edited:
Reactions: dx4100 and JezzerB
Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
Sorry typo; 2000kg max weight of a Buc; just using it to illustrate the potential of the car-not condoning towing that weight with a Kody as the max towball weight is quite low I think-80kg off the top of my head!

I could reply the same as you Buckman-as you've obviously done the same as me and made a typo. So to paraphrase you, there are no Bucanneers with a MTPLM of 200kg. They are 2000kg!!!

Max Towball weight is actually 100 kg on my Kodiaq.

Reactions: JezzerB
Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
Thanks everyone for looking over the number for me. I get the 85% is just a guide but its probably best I stick to it and put all the odds in my favour for a successful experience. Pretty nervous about towing for the first time and want to keep the kids safe.

Reactions: JezzerB
Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
We have narrow down on these two models for the caravans we fancied and I wanted to know your thoughts on if you think they are a good match for our car / experience. We are brand new to this and will be taking a training course.

Car - Skoda Kodiaq 2020 190 2L 4x4 - 2 adults + 2 Kids - roof box (no doubt fully loaded) - boot no doubt fully loaded.

Bailey Unicorn Cadiz - 1423kg / 1600kg
Sprite Quatro DD - 1399kg / 1642kg

We like being able to have four fixed single sleeping areas.

Using this website they seemed to be a good match when I put all the rough payload weights in. (caravan - 150kg / car 400kg)

Thanks for any thoughts,

Your choice , but based on my experience and those of a friend I would give up caravaning before ever buying a Bailey again !

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You are taking a very sensible and logical approach. Make sure that you weigh everything that goes in the caravan. The makers MIRO does allow for certain items but here again there’s not total consistency. My Sprite MIRO included 1x 6kg gas bottle which could weigh 10 kg when full if Calorlite but heavier if based on the standard Calor 6kg bottles. The electric hook up lead, the step, no fluids anywhere, the caravan handbook and documents, hose for connecting aquaroll to caravan. Battery was not included.
I made up a number of spreadsheets to cover short breaks and longer holidays summer or winter. They included the weights of items and where stowed in the caravan or car. It is surprising how if you are not careful weight can increase, just a bit here, something useful there etc. Also to confirm your weights in the van it’s a good idea to take it fully loaded to a public weighbridge. It gives you confidence in your weighing or requires you take somethings out.

Good touring.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The U.K. Construction and Use Regulations don’t include the driver in kerbweight. Some manufacturers do, some don’t. Even the CMHC included 75 kg at one time, but what they do now I don’t know. But don’t get too hung up as 75 kg for driver including their personal bag isn’t going to affect your outfit choice to any great extent. 85% is a guide and 80-90% on a calculation isn’t going to affect an outcome as so many other factors affect stability. Loading and distribution, tyre pressures car and van, noseweight, car load. etc.

PS it’s not a rule it’s a guide. If you want to spend a few hours try searching this and other websites fir “ 85%” rule. It’s a nightmare. My philosophy was car heavy, van light. Although I did get caught out once with a caravan MTPLM 1000 kg which I believed had a 240 kg payload. When weighed in Brecon it came in just under 1240 kg. So at least my own weighing wasn’t too bad, and fortunately I had fitted updated trailer specific tyres. But the car could take 2000 kg so stability wasn’t an issue.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As per OC even towing at 90% should not bother a modern car as generally they are loaded with gear so that the car controls the caravan and not the other way around. Of course sensible loading is a main factor.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts