Car insurance

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I had my renewal notice yesterday for my car insurance with the AA. We were quite surprised to see that it had risen by almost £100 without me having any claims. Not wanting to be taken for a mug I went to the GoCompare website. I chose the one most appropriate to my requirements and was taken to their website. This one had two more questions and when I answered them the fee went up £60
smiley-undecided.gif

Now getting peeved (being polite) off I thought of the CC insurance so went to their site. Rather than type in all that bumf I decided to ring because it's easier. After about 15 minutes and a lot of legal speel off the gentleman he asked to wait while the quote came up.
'The cheapest' he said 'is £655'.
'You're pulling my plonker' I replied, 'I'm glad I was sat down when you told me because that is over double my latest quote which I consider to dear'.
He then asked me who I was insured with and how much was my renewal so I told him. He then asked if I wanted legal protection so I asked him if by omitting that it would bring the quote down by over £300
smiley-smile.gif
so I asked him how much without it.
'£257' he said
smiley-laughing.gif

I then quizzed him why the legal protection is so expensive and he said it wasn't that but because they promise to beat any quote by £25. The legal protection then worked out at £22.99 if I needed it.
With the policy it was only £100 compulsary and voluntary excess, £50 windscreen excess and courtesy car. By now I was really peeved (still being good) off and got him to do it.
Afterwards my head was swimming so logged on to www.confused.com for an explanation.
No doubt the £655 was the shock psychological factor so that the second figure seemed a bargain. It was the best I could do up to that point and wasn't prepared to spend anymore time addling my brain
smiley-yell.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
LB My old dog,
You're slipping in your dotage.
smiley-kiss.gif

Go back two months ago and you will see posts from me saying my beloved Aviva had let me tow my Wyoming uninsured! After going through their complaints division I was told I had been given a bum steer by their call centre lady. Too late !! plus their premium had gone up 50%. Why ? To pay for all the idiots who had claimed, NOTme!

An approach to the CC Insurance Brokers Devitts, had me a blue chip FSA, ABI Insurer, better cover and a premium , 10% below the lowest I'd been quoted. I paid circa £250, fully comp with the peace of mind my caravan is also insured for TP risks whilst being towed.
Forget these Meercat and Go compare idiots. All they want is a high premium for little or no cover.
How do you think they fund their TV adverts
smiley-undecided.gif

Well done mate . Your brain is engaging and common sense has prevailed. Well done going through the CC
smiley-smile.gif

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
My car insurance company wanted an extra £100 this year so shopped around. Saga with their introductory offer was the same as what I paid last year.
I assume that next year the rates will have gone up so I will just take some one else's into offer

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
I too have switched to Saga this year, my renewal was £200 more than last year and I got the Saga policy for £250 less, actually cheaper than last year. I have found, at last, that it makes sense to switch each year and get the "new customer" discounts - so much for customer loyalty.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
£280.00 last year, renewal notice came yesterday £420.00, not on your nelly sunshine
smiley-yell.gif

Just got quote from CCC £308.55 but as I qualify this year for saga ( I think--is it 50?) will try them tomorrow.
smiley-smile.gif

May 21, 2008
Visit site
My insurance is via swiftcover.com.
A mere £178 for fully comp £100 excess on the glass and accident damage. Knocked off legal cover, because there are plenty of "where there's blame there's a claim" solicitors about, and I can fight my own corner too. SC has a very basic plain english approach and they clearly tell you you can fit a tow bar without notice and that your covered third party for towing risks.
You may recall I was fighting a "driving a third party's car on your insurance" prosecution by humberside police against by Bro in law.
All sorted and case dropped now.
All I had to convince the court was that:-
1/ The car was insured by it's owner for business purposes. Which it was.
2/ The brother was driving the car using his insurance certificate as cover because he was not on the original insurance. He was.
3/ Quote the insurance wording "he was insured at basic 3rd party risk to drive a car not owned, hired or leased to him."
4/ They were actually on route to the place of work in a family people carrier which was not sign written or taxed as a goods vehicle.
So case dismissed and cost's applied for and awarded to me, the owner of the car and his brother.
Cost to the Gov £2200.
Humberside police severely criticised by the magistrate for not using initiateive and reading the certificates of insurance.

Good old swift cover and their plain english documentation.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
sheila_374397204 said:
I too have switched to Saga this year, my renewal was £200 more than last year and I got the Saga policy for £250 less, actually cheaper than last year. I have found, at last, that it makes sense to switch each year and get the "new customer" discounts - so much for customer loyalty.
We were with SAGA as they offered the best price but the following year it doubled so dropped them. You are correct, it pays to shop around every year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts