Car roof box

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Now looking at the space in my new car with a winch Petgear for dogs we are thinking of looking at different types
Aluminium cross bars and roof box got to be lockable, elegant in shape not to big and easy accessible, fuel economy, and height restriction in car parks
So what makes do you suggest that will suit my 2023 Ford Tourneo Connect
Any input would be appreciated .

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Most roof boxes (other than vehicle specific from vehicle manufacturers) are a universal fit, however they all require side to side roof bars to clamp onto, and most of those (but not all) now require front to rear roof rails to clamp the side to side ones onto . So it's not quite as simple as it may first appear.
Have a chat with your local Ford dealer about the need or otherwise for roof rails on your vehicle, then look to see what's on offer from eBay or Facebook market place.
I have a pal with a set of Transit custom roof rails he wishes to sell, but I expect they might be different to those you would need.

Reactions: Beachball
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
BB, The car is a shade over 6 foot tall ,add in the rails and the roof box what height will that give you ? Make sure you can reach and lift things out. A step maybe but bear in mind what you said about car park heights.
It’s some years since I last used a box, but then I had a Thule. Excellent. Worth checking out Halfords as well, plus they will probably fit it for you for a small fee.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Now looking at the space in my new car with a winch Petgear for dogs we are thinking of looking at different types
Aluminium cross bars and roof box got to be lockable, elegant in shape not to big and easy accessible, fuel economy, and height restriction in car parks
So what makes do you suggest that will suit my 2023 Ford Tourneo Connect
Any input would be appreciated .
I’ve got a Hapro Traxer that, 370 litres’ opens both sides and keys cannot be removed until the locking bars have been engaged. Bought it from Roofbox Company. Hapro are the second biggest maker of roof boxes and it’s been TUV crash tested to 30mph ( think) and has a 75 kg loading limit. It has been on a Superb estate, Forester and now an Xceed. The parts to lock it into bars have two large claws that protrude through slots in the base of the box. A handwheel closes the “claws” onto the bars and when tightened tge ratchet clicks and you just press a section that then locks the ratchet. I have used it with Thule square bars, but now I’ve got Cruz bars that are aero. They came from Roof box company. Look at Roof box company website.

Not many roof boxes fitted to taller vehicles can guarantee access to all parking areas, or attractions etc.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I can highly recomend THe Roof Box company and the Yakima roof bars, they used to be know as Whispbars. Wind noise is so low with these that we never take them off, unlike the Thule bars that whistled like a kettle

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have a roofbox with Thule roofrack from the Roofbox company on our Jeep however now considering selling it due to problems accessing it as not easy for either of us to stretch to reach stuff in it even when standing on steps.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As pervBuckman, despite being 6ft4in I still use the caravan step when loading the roof box so that I can position stuff properly and use the lashing straps that came with the roofbox. My car is probably lower roof line than yours.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I can highly recomend THe Roof Box company and the Yakima roof bars, they used to be know as Whispbars. Wind noise is so low with these that we never take them off, unlike the Thule bars that whistled like a kettle
Just check what suitable for my car is Atera Signo AS Silver aero- profile bars they have low noise and low drag from the roof box company your ones look great

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just check what suitable for my car is Atera Signo AS Silver aero- profile bars they have low noise and low drag from the roof box company your ones look great
Don't believe any supplier that any aero low profile bars etc are low noise and low drag. They all make a noise and create drag. If not using the roof bars for roof box, we always remove them. Roof box creates a lot of drag anyway.

However Roofbox are far better at giving professional advice than any Halfords sales person as Roofbox are experts in roof boxes and roof bars.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve not found much difference between aero bars noise, but my present Cruze ( budget) Aeros are quieter than my previous Thule square profile. I also remove mine when not using the roofbox, although they are also occasionally used for non roofbox load carrying duty. That’s why I bought ones that have an overhang beyond the width of the roof rail. easier to strap stuff down, or practise my Truckers hitch.:)

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Roofbox for me too. I've got a Kamei Husky but I only really chose that because it was in their special offer section at the time, I think it was a refurbished return. I bought my Thule roof bars from them as well.

As others have commented, even though my car is only the same height as any other estate car, I use the caravan step to load and unload it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Roofbox for me too. I've got a Kamei Husky but I only really chose that because it was in their special offer section at the time, I think it was a refurbished return. I bought my Thule roof bars from them as well.

As others have commented, even though my car is only the same height as any other estate car, I use the caravan step to load and unload it.

We have the KAMEI Corvara S 390 roofbox and found it to be excellent. Sadly now we hardly ever use it due to access issues plus as we are now down to one dog from three a bit more room in the back of the car. We have the aero Thule roof bars with the T track. To get around the whistling noise I wrap a bungee around the roof bar as it disrupts the air flow over the bars and stops the whistling.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Don't believe any supplier that any aero low profile bars etc are low noise and low drag. They all make a noise and create drag. If not using the roof bars for roof box, we always remove them. Roof box creates a lot of drag anyway.

However Roofbox are far better at giving professional advice than any Halfords sales person as Roofbox are experts in roof boxes and roof bars.
Went to Halfords yesterday had a look at the cross bars that would suit my car and they show me how they go on we thought the sales person was very helpful .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Your choice and if buying from Halfords I wish you all the luck in the world. (y)
:D
If the bars are a suitable fit (size and loading) for Beachballs new car I really cannot see what the problem is with buying from Halfords. My daughters NHS lease car Toyota Corolla has to be serviced at Halfords!Presumably to save the NHS a few quid.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If the bars are a suitable fit (size and loading) for Beachballs new car I really cannot see what the problem is with buying from Halfords. My daughters NHS lease car Toyota Corolla has to be serviced at Halfords!Presumably to save the NHS a few quid.
I never said that there was a problem with buying from Halfords so not sure where you got that from as all I did was wish BB best of luck and hopefully he gets what he wants. Not sure what your daughter's car has to do with roof bars etc? :unsure:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its always sensible to use a step of some sort when fitting or loading / Unloading or removing a roof box. A couple of years ago I was just bending down to tuck in a sheet on the bed and I hurt my back - still giving me trouble now..

And any sort of obstruction to airflow over a vehicle like a roof bar must cause extra drag and that that will affect fuel economy.

I can't remember exactly where I saw the report but some respected organisation did some tests and found that just having the widthways roof bars increased drag in some cases as much as 3% and keeping a roof box on the car when its not needed increased drag by as much as 30%!

Those differences become more significant at higher speeds as the actual resistance broadly increased as the square of the speed difference.

If economy is important to you, don't leave boxes or bars on when you don't need them, and also don't carry around dead weight in the car either.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Its always sensible to use a step of some sort when fitting or loading / Unloading or removing a roof box. A couple of years ago I was just bending down to tuck in a sheet on the bed and I hurt my back - still giving me trouble now..

And any sort of obstruction to airflow over a vehicle like a roof bar must cause extra drag and that that will affect fuel economy.

I can't remember exactly where I saw the report but some respected organisation did some tests and found that just having the widthways roof bars increased drag in some cases as much as 3% and keeping a roof box on the car when its not needed increased drag by as much as 30%!

Those differences become more significant at higher speeds as the actual resistance broadly increased as the square of the speed difference.

If economy is important to you, don't leave boxes or bars on when you don't need them, and also don't carry around dead weight in the car either.
Quite correct and roof box is a pain when away and staying on a site as you have to drag it around with you even when it is empty. Can't really store it in the awning and if left outside it may go walkies.

As from drag I think a lot depends on the shape of the roof box as most are very aerodynamically shaped/ Also the type of car i.e. engine, gearbox. people in the car etc. Anyway if towing a caravan I doubt if you will see much difference in economy between hving a roofbox or not having one.

On our previous Jeep having the roof box on made very little difference to economy and certainly not as high as 30%, but it does have a small effect that is hardly noticeable.

TBH I think I rather put up with the slightly reduced economy than the whistling noise on the roof bars.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I never said that there was a problem with buying from Halfords so not sure where you got that from as all I did was wish BB best of luck and hopefully he gets what he wants. Not sure what your daughter's car has to do with roof bars etc? :unsure:
It's just that I read your post as somewhat cynical, and anti Halfords. I added the info wrt my daughters car in sofar as its owners, the NHS lease company, trust Halfords.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
We have a large Halfords box bought for £30 on eBay a few years ago.
Use of a step to load/unload when on top of the Freelander is definitely recommended.
Not noticed any significant difference in fuel economy when towing. In fact quite the opposite as it seems to run a few hundred RPM's less when cruising on an A road or motorway.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have a large Halfords box bought for £30 on eBay a few years ago.
Use of a step to load/unload when on top of the Freelander is definitely recommended.
Not noticed any significant difference in fuel economy when towing. In fact quite the opposite as it seems to run a few hundred RPM's less when cruising on an A road or motorway.
Perhaps it acts like one of those aero wing things that used to advertised some years ago. Mine have never affected fuel economy to any measurable degree when towing, on estates or SUV.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I bought ours from Halfords back in 2011. It's one of their own-brand offerings and was big enough to take a full awning and poles. It lives outside in all weathers and the only issue is the clear lacquer/covering is peeling so it'll be getting a coat of black gloss 2K paint at some point soon. It's been used on various cars over the years and hence has required a few changes of roof bars, I think the current bars are also Halfords own brand that attach to the Volvo's roof rails. When I had a BMW 520 it had special feet that screwed to threaded bosses in the BMW's roof. Seeing as I usually have a bike on the roof next to it and a caravan attached to the back I can't really comment on fuel economy but I'd recommend one from a quality perspective.v90-2a.jpg

bmw1a.jpg

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Perhaps it acts like one of those aero wing things that used to advertised some years ago. Mine have never affected fuel economy to any measurable degree when towing, on estates or SUV.
When towing a caravan, the frontal area isn't increased by use of a roofbox - so no significant difference in fuel consumption - it might even improve it, depending on shape and position.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts