Caravan’s and the AA??

Aug 31, 2019
Visit site
Hi I have been with the AA for a few years and only used them once.
I haven’t told them I’m towing a caravan is that something I should do ? Also can they recover you when you are towing a van or do they leave that on the side of the road ?

Cheers

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I hope they don't leave you at the side of the road I payfull recovery including the caravan, phone up the AA and change your policy,

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I have full breakdown/relay/homestart with VW Assistance which is handled by the AA.

Before renewing I asked about a caravan and particularly what happens outside the UK. The answer was that so long as the caravan is 7m or less in length it would be recoverd at the same time anywhere.

Our caravan is 6.19m so no problem, but many vans 4 berth and above are often just over 7m, so before taking out cover it is worth asking. From memory LV= who we used before we bought our present car a year ago today provided full EU cover without any notified restriction AFAICR.

Out of interest, the VW cover cost me £145 for two years full monty anywhere in Europe - which I think is a pretty good deal.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Woodentop said:
Before renewing I asked about a caravan and particularly what happens outside the UK. The answer was that so long as the caravan is 7m or less in length it would be recoverd at the same time anywhere....

Just a note of caution about caravan lengths. Caravan manufacturers usually quote caravan body length, so a 6.19M body may have an overall shipping length in excess of 7M.

Check carefully with your recovery company on which length (Body or shipping) they base their policy on

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is that they will recover a car with a caravan. However they will not touch the caravan. So assume you have a problem with the brakes then they will not work on it or recover it. Another point is that if your car breaks down away from the camp site they will not recover your car then go to the site and pick up the caravan. Only the schemes through one of the clubs offer cover for these issues. Those schemes will also recover you if you get bogged in. I have been in the AA since 1965 but also have cover with RAC through the C and CC. (The AA cover now comes with my bank account..)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I used to be with the AA as a non caravaner,about £100 a year for the recovery bit(I don't need home start,being a mechanic ;) ) but if you're a member of CAMC I would go with their mayday,only £72 (any size caravan recovery) Please note read all the small print in any policy as like some say,they may not touch or pick up the caravan.

Feb 14, 2018
Visit site
We are with Green Flag.This year in France the electrical connector to the caravan became detached whilst driving on the road breaking the connection with the caravan wires so no lights,indicators etc.Phoned Green Flag in England,within an hour a breakdown truck arrived,I was expecting sorry sir it's a caravan problem we only cover the car,but no the guy had the wiring diagram on his phone and within twenty mins we were on our way so thank you Green Flag for that

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts