Caravan and Camping or Caravan and motorhome?

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
Hello all,

I am planning on joining one of the above clubs but undecided which one. Both have pro's and con's so want people's opinions?

It will only me myself and my better half so not to fussed about onsite entertainment.

Besides the dedicated sites what else does each club offer?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 17, 2019
Visit site
For me its the c&cc been a member of both the caravan club as it used to be called seem a bit more regimental and clicky and we camp off grid a lot rallying and the c&cc have a lot of these going on every weekend but thats only my opinion

Reactions: J.Lo
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
For the cost why not join both then you access to all the sites and CL or CS individual sites - having tried a few or finding if there are sites in your preferred area with one or other you can always cancel one and keep your favourite - or continue with both for access to a wide range of other services along with two 'comics' a month!.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Both clubs offer:-

Club sites
5-van CL/CS sites
Magazine
Insurance
Breakdown cover
Foreign Touring
and more

It all depends what you want to use - we just use the 5-van CL sites and Mayday breakdown cover from CaMC.

Last time I checked, the CaMC was twice as big as C&C with twice as many members, club sites and CL/CS sites - I see no advantage in joining both as the gaps in one clubs network are also gaps in the other!

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Personal experience is that you get bigger hard standing pitches on CMC sites* and the facilities tend to be both more modern, kept in better condition, and above all there is more of them. You also get pillar feed for TV on sites with poor signal coverage** but I have yet to see same on C&CC sites. The C&CC requires a deposit when you make the booking which CMC does not. We are members of both.
* There is always space to park you vehicle at the side of your caravan on the hard standing, C&CC often just have lines of bricks or stones in the grass as a parking track.
**CMC will still tell you in the handbook that TV is poor and they have a pillar feed. Methinks they haven't checked since DSO as many such nominated sites do in fact get good coverage.
CMC on balance offer a better wi-fi option which if you are going to use their main sites at £25pa is quite good value, certainly on Gold sites.

Ultimately the C&CC is more aimed at generic 'campers' whether tented or on wheels, whereas CMC is a bit more up market. You pays your money and you takes you choice.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Initially we joined both clubs and then after a year decided to stay with the CAMC. After a few years rejoined C&CC, but had such a bad experience on a site that we cancelled and got a refund for the balance of the year.
We enjoy using the CAMC CL sites as they are a lot cheaper than using the the club sites which IMHO are now very over prcied for what you get. Many commercial sites with same or better facilities charge less. Also think that Mayday recovery is a better option and cheaper option than the C&C RAC Arrival breakdown service.
My suggestion is join both and then decide which one you would prefer. If you are not going to be out and about much over the next few months leave joining until the season starts again.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
WE're in both but if we only had to buy into one I think the CAMHC would be our first choice for the more spacious sites and caravan orientation-there are some camping club sites we might struggle to get on.

May 21, 2021
Visit site
We joined both to give us a bigger choice. Sometimes both clubs have sites near to each other and if you can’t get into one, often the other has space. We’ll carry on with both.

Reactions: JezzerB
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
We joined both to give us a bigger choice. Sometimes both clubs have sites near to each other and if you can’t get into one, often the other has space. We’ll carry on with both.

Exactly that. Sandringham has adjacent sites. Last year we wanted about 9 days mid-week to mid-week and booking in May, but CMC was full over the period (September) that we wanted. Asked for C&CC and no problem albeit only one of 3 blocks open. (No matter, we used our own and took two barrels.)

When we got there CMC was at least half empty as most of those that had booked had cancelled!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We are in both clubs to get the choice of sites but tend to use the CAMH ones in the main. The CAMH has far more so you are more likely to find one where you want but there are some missing areas but there are bigger gaps in the C&CC offering.
On CAMH sites you pick your own pitch from the type you booked but C&CC sites show you one although you can ask for a different one if you do not like the one allocated. They do usually ask what you are looking for before pitching you. CAMH sites tend to be a bit better maintained and the toilet blocks are usually superior but bothy are good.
CAMH do not take a deposit but the C&CC does, which tends to mean there is more late availability on C&CC ones, so both have their points there.
The range of services both offer is wide and good but the C&CC have dropped their full foreign touring programme with only insurance and ferries now available.

Reactions: Madpad_01

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts