Caravan Chef

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

We've got a new feature in the magazine and we want your help! Our Emma needs your favourite caravan holiday recipes, then as our resident caravan chef, she'll test them when on tour and rate them.

Please see here for details and send her your recipes by email, or post them below. Thanks!

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi again. Just another quick reminder that we'd love to get your favourite caravan recipes so we can test them in one of our tourers. Either post the recipe (ingredients and instructions) below, or read our blog and email them directly to Emma, who will be cooking them!

We look forward to hearing from you – thanks.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Lizzie, there are probably a few keen cooks on here, I'm not one of them! However our fellow woosie, Crazyguider is well known as a dab hand in the kitchen. She may be able to give you some recipes.

mel

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Mel, let's hope so! We realised that we've had some main meal suggestions and while they're good, puddings might be an idea, too. Or veggie food? But recipes, with full lists of ingredients and the method are what we need – lots of people have sent names of dishes (like, "beef stew", "mum's pasta" etc), which is less helpful as we can't test a dish without the full recipe!

I look forward to hearing from some keen caravan cooks!

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Lizzie, this is a veggie recipe adapted from 'Linda's Kitchen', and lends itself well to caravan cooking as it's all done on the hob. It is totally LUSH, and if I can make it, anyone can!

Meatless Strogonoff

50g Margerine
2 onions, sliced
2tbs plain flour
150mls veg stock
300mls White wine
250g button mushrooms
2tbs olive oil
250g Quorn Chicken style pieces
300mls soured cream
Black pepper
chopped herbs

Heat the marg in a saucepan and cook the onions until soft. Add the flour & stir in well, then stir in the stock followed by the white wine. Add the mushrooms, simmer gently for about 5 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, heat the oil & toss the Quorn pieces until crisp & brown. Mix them into the mushroom sauce. Stir in the soured cream, season well and cook very gently for another few minutes (The book suggests 6-8 minutes but I think this is too long!) Serve on a bed of rice, sprinkled with chopped parsley, or other herbs as you prefer. (I like coriander!)

Instead of Quorn pieces for protein, you can use Tofu, cashew nuts or soya veg steak-style chunks, Sometimes I use up more of the wine by marinading the Quorn pieces.

This recipe serves 4

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Well, my recipe for Meatless Strogonoff has gone down like the proverbial ton of bricks, so here's another idea some of you might find more palatable!

Slight reduction in/change of ingredients:

Bottle of wine
Monkey chips - just put them under the g'rilla (altogether now - GROAN)
Sausage (veggie, of course)
Cake

Better?

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
CyberCynth said:
Well, my recipe for Meatless Strogonoff has gone down like the proverbial ton of bricks, so here's another idea some of you might find more palatable!

Slight reduction in/change of ingredients:

Bottle of wine
Monkey chips - just put them under the g'rilla (altogether now - GROAN)
Sausage (veggie, of course)
Cake

Better?

Drop the veggie sausage, double up on the wine and you have a winner there. :p

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the slow reply, but thanks for your recipes – we like the idea of a meatless Stroganoff! Any more would, of course, be very welcome.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick reminder that we still need your favourite recipes to test in our van! Veggie, meat filled, sweet, savoury, a starter, a lunch, a pudding or a light bite – whatever, we want them. Many thanks!

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I made the "sweet potato soup" from the recipe in this month's PCv last night - I only had a quick taste as I was making it but it seems good! It's in the fridge awaiting the microwave at lunchtime so we'll see. I can't often use published recipes, Mrs Gozza is a nut-allergic vegetarian, and then of the things she can eat she's quite fussy...so anything that contains any of the ingredients she can't have, I have to dabble with the recipe. But I'll try this one on her, it could become a winter favourite.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your contribution! Any more recipes from anyone else? Stews, soups, puddings, pies ... we'll consider giving anything a go. So long as it is tasty and it is something that can be cooked in a caravan!

spardoe

Administrator
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi Gozza,
Stacie here on the Practical Caravan team, hope you're well?
Glad to hear that you have tried out one of our Emma's recipes, she'll be very chuffed when I tell her. Did you have it for lunch yesterday? If so we'd love to know what you thought, and if you don't mind we'll share your comments as a letter in the magazine next month. Might encourage others to send us their feedback we thought. Many thanks, Stacie

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
My kids like anything with pasta, usually chocken or bacon, so heres a real easy one:
One pan of pasta ( fusilli is best) cooked acc. To instructions.
Either 2 rashers each, fried, or 1 chicken breast each, fried in olive oil and chopped.
1 tin chopped toms, preferably with basil and garlic
Chopped basil
1tsp lazy garlic
1 chopped onion, or tin of chopped onions.
Splash Worcsester sauce,
Salt/pepper

Fry the onion and add the meat and herbs/garlic.
When all is cooked, chop the meat. Add the tomatoes and mix over a low heat.
When the pasta is cooked, drain and add to the rest of the ingredients.
Stir well and serve with garlic bread.
REMEMBER TO LEAVE THE VAN WINDOWS OPEN TO REDUCE THE GARLIC ODOUR!

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi Stacie

Yes I did have it for lunch and I'm having it again today! It's certainly very filling, when I first saw it in the pan I thought "that'll never make four portions" (which is what the recipe says), but the amount I gave myself on Tuesday was too much and I think 4 porions is about right.

Feel free to publish!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts