Caravan Club Credit Card

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Do any of you out there have one?

Have you used it since your summer holidays>

I nipped over to Calais just before Christmas using my trusty card..........

Knowing I get a good rate of exchange.........annnnnnnnnnnd

no charges......

I have just received my statement Huh The rate was low and charges (not used in hole)on purchases 1.43euros to the pound.

I used my N/wide card in hole and got 1.48 with no charges.

It's buy buy using my cc card in France, pitiful.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I canceled mine for the same reason. I already have a Nationwide card so have backed that up with a Post Office card that is also commission free.

We have been told that the change of banker from Frizzel to Morgan Stanley was to improve the service to the customers.

What a joke.

Maybe if more people sent their CC cards back they might think again!!!

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Do you think anyone else has noticed yet!!

Although when our new cards arrived I must admit the terms just got filed (un read) shan't do that again in a hurry!!

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Scrapped Mine for the same reason. But we must live in hope, after all the club does exist for the benifit of it's members.!!!!!!!!! Well doesent it??????? or am I deluded AGAIN.

ttfn

G

Is my understanding correct in that it has actually changed to Morgan Stanley? My last Statement in December still showed Frizzell.

I whole heartedly agree with the comments regarding the usefulness?? or otherwise of the Card. It is probably the only card I have ever owned which has proven to be an effort to use. Constant rejections, and then being told there is not a problem, does nothing to inspire confidence. I accept laziness as an excuse for not ditching it, but also the hope that it would improve with a new banker. As I always keep a small credit I never pay any interest so it actually is not costing me anything, it is just almost impossible to get acceptance from internet, or any mail order transactions.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Our statement was still on Frizzel paper, I think there keeping the company name.

Paid it all of, and I'm going to complain and let them know I shall not use it abroad, and will be changing to the nationwide and why!!!

One has to tell these companies, one won't use their cc card in France, because one is unhappy, that the change over has caused one to be ripped off!!!!

G

Curious about how they can keep the name Frizzell. It is part of the Liverpool Victoria Banking Group and Morgan Stanley is a totally different Company altogether. It would be a bit like Barclays selling under the name of Abbey, not really realisitc. Also I have not received any offical documentation from the CC stating that any change has taken place, so I assume the status quo exists until otherwise told. They are legally obliged to tell all customers if there are any/major changes to the Contracts and a change of banking group would certainly come within that category.

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Sorry! but you are well out of date on this. The Notified cut of date was end of September after which Frizzles became a Morgon Stanly asset and commision free in Europe finished. They gave me at least two months notice. The notice was properly given and many posts were on this site at the time. In fact Frizzles became a Morgan Stanly asset before Sept. That was to comply with the notice period. Everything was done in a timely and proper manner.Its just that as a member of the Caravan Club, I believe that the club should now attempt to get a better deal for its members first and think of the financial returnes (which are needed) second, after all they are supposed to be there to represent the best interest of their members.

ttfn

G

Then I must have been missed on the register as I have never received any notification whatsoever that my Card Account was being changed apart from the initial 'flyer' that it was being considered. I have seen some of the messages regarding this on the Forum and assumed that I would receive official word in due course, but to date zilch. Just dug out my last Statement dated mid December 2006 and it states my Contract is still with LVBS. Not a mention anywhere that I have any connection with Morgan Stanley. The ultimate holdinmg Company is listed as Liverpool Victoria Friendly Society, which as a friendly society needs the votes of its memebers to change anything. Also Looking at Frizzell's current web page there is no mention whatsoever that the Company is now part of Morgan Stanley, which if it is, would be illegal not to show.

So, confused does not understate it.

G

Further digging through my files reveals a letter from the CC in August stating 'Morgan Stanley will be in touch with you in the near future with more details'. NOT DONE

'payments will start to be collected by Morgan Stanley', NOT DONE

'when these contact details change Morgan Stanley will tell you', NOT DONE

Apologies for capitals but it seemed appropriate. So, as far as I am aware no change as yet. Also I legally need to sign acceptance of any new Contract, and I certainly haven't done that, because I haven't seen one.

I do accept that nothing could be as bad as the Frizzell operation.

So, if as appears the deal has been done, then I as a customer have not either approved, or been allowed to disapprove in any format. Therefore unless something smart comes up soon I, like many others will 'walk away'. There are plenty other Cards available.

G

As a follow on assuming I jump ship. Does anyone know of a Visa Card that pays interest on credit balances? As I never if at all possible, run a debit balance, I assume I am not a popular customer, but keep the Card for 'emergencies'.

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
Why keep a credit balance? You'll never get a decent rate of interest.

Just make sure you take out a card that will let you pay the full amount by direct debit each month, and you never need to worry again!

The only time I have had a credit on a card was for overseas, when I wanted to use it for cash; the card had no charges, and a good rate of exchange, but charged interest at extortionate rates on debit balances from cash withdrawals, from the date of withdrawal. So I put in money up front, and paid no interest!

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
It is nice when one meets with the like minded.

I always have had the account cleared by D.D. then the onus is on the card issuer to collect, ones only responsibility being to ensure funds are available.

They do not tell you this as they do not encorage one to clear the debt. Most provide the facility its just that they do not tell you about it (It's understandable after all the poor darlings would allow people a way of keeping out of debt) which is counter productive.

ttfn

G

Thank you for the comments. When I mentioned a credit balance it is only a few pounds I was actually talking about. I did start with a higher one when the CC card paid 7% interest, but as the rate dropped, so did my balance. I just like to keep a small credit so I know that I cannot be 'hit' with unforeseen charges. I also pre pay if I know I am going to put a high charge, such as ferry tickets, on the Card, then when the bill comes in I am usually back at square one. Why do it? partly to get the site vouchers, although that is not really that important, but mainly to support the CC, which I am beginning to realise is not being recognised anymore.

The only concern I have with getting a new Card is that I am retired and obviously my pension income is not what it was when I was in full time employment. My existing Banks will happily oblige as I am a long time customer, and I do have a chunk of cash on deposit, but going to a new supplier may have problems. However, there is no harm in asking.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have destroyed all my credit cards except for the Tesco and Nationwide. In this country I generally use the Tesco card for the bonus points but use the Nationwide card abroad as there is no charge for using the card in Europe. I clear the balance each month thereby not incurring any charges. I am also retired but found the credit limit offered by Tesco was compareable with the limits imposed when I was in full time employment.

All flyers offering me a new credit card with my name and

adress is shredded and the remaining bumf I post back to them in their pre paid envelopes - helps to keep the post man in work and saves the environment as they can re use the material.

G

I admit to not really needing to use a credit card abroad as I have a Euro bank account with ATM card. Ironically, they charge me to deposit money but nothing on withdrawals. I opened it when I worked in Europe and retained it as a holiday cash fund. The interest paid is pretty abysmal. I also use Amex for some purchases, and I know I pay a fee, but there are no interest charges, and no credit limit.

As mentioned I only really want a credit card for emergency use, where Amex is not applicable. If Amex offered a Visa card then I would use that, but they don't.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Credit cards .When Morgan stanley took over the admin of the CC credit card ,i applied for there own card .It pays at the moment

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
I will only be using the cc card until I get my vouchers for this year that I want, then bye bye to morgan stanley.

frank you said the NW do cash back on their cc card, what is the percentage?

I always pay my cc card as soon as I have used it, I keep my own little green book, write down what's bought as soon as I get in, then pay.

Boring I know, but you can't access online so this way I know exactly what's being spent and control the use of the card.

Really boring!!!

My daughter dispairs with me and gets annoyed when I tell her she should do the same,what can I say,....

I don't have her debt.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Smiley

Here's the info on NW card.

Cash rewards - Cash Reward cards only

We will pay a cash reward on purchases (excluding balance transfers, transactions made abroad, or made with retailers that are registered outside of the UK, cash advances and payment protection insurance premiums). We will tell you what the cash reward rate is and any maximum amount we will pay when we open the account and whenever we change it.

Cash Reward rates for Cash Reward and Cash Reward Gold card

Introductory Rate Purchases made within 6 months

of your account being opened 0.5% of the value of purchases

Ongoing rate Purchases made within 6 months

or more after your account is opened. 0.25% of the value of purchases

Note: The maximum amount of cash reward is

G

The situation with the CC credit card still has me confused. I received my new cards this month and do note the name Frizzell has been dropped. However, on the back it still states that Liverpool Victoria are handling the account. Similarly my statements still show LVBS as the holder of the CC card and account. What happened to Morgan Stanley I ask?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts