Caravan Club making changes to site bookings and leavings

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In the latest club mag they have informed members that you can proceed to book your 2012 internet bookings be available from 9am on 7th December 2011.
Also the following:-
(A)The minimuim notice required for any pitch cancellation is 72Hrs, Members who cancell within 72hrs, or fail to turn up at a booked pitch, three times during 2012 will forfeit their ability to book for 14 days, any forward bookings will also be cancelled.
(B)They also state that you must give 72 hrs notice to the site warden, should you wish to leave the site earlier than originally planned,Notice given within 72 hrs for a early departure will incur a charge of one site night.
(B) This seems rather harsh to me, what has happened to freedom of movement, On two occasions I have had to depart sites suddenly through illness, Having to explain to a Site Warden and paying a forfet for leaving through illness beggars belief.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not before time. Reading the recent AGM report the sites lost money in 2010. At least you can still book ahead without having to pay a deposit. I don't think that the new rules will cause any problem to the vast majority. I suggest if you left a hotel early you would be asked to pay that night's room as a minimum.What do commercial sites do?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Royston said:
In the latest club mag they have informed members that you can proceed to book your 2012 internet bookings be available from 9am on 7th December 2011.
Also the following:-
(A)The minimuim notice required for any pitch cancellation is 72Hrs, Members who cancell within 72hrs, or fail to turn up at a booked pitch, three times during 2012 will forfeit their ability to book for 14 days, any forward bookings will also be cancelled.
(B)They also state that you must give 72 hrs notice to the site warden, should you wish to leave the site earlier than originally planned,Notice given within 72 hrs for a early departure will incur a charge of one site night.
(B) This seems rather harsh to me, what has happened to freedom of movement, On two occasions I have had to depart sites suddenly through illness, Having to explain to a Site Warden and paying a forfet for leaving through illness beggars belief.
At last - a formal policy on late cancellations and no-shows - even though it may have been "hidden" so thanks Royston for bringing it to everyone's attention.
A) seems very reasonable but B) is draconian - I don't make a habit of cutting short a visit but when I needed to through bereavement the commercial site I was on gave me an instant refund for the unused night.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
otherclive said:
Not before time. Reading the recent AGM report the sites lost money in 2010. At least you can still book ahead without having to pay a deposit. I don't think that the new rules will cause any problem to the vast majority. I suggest if you left a hotel early you would be asked to pay that night's room as a minimum.What do commercial sites do?
Not surprising. Have you tried to book a two week holiday at a CC site? Generally you cannot as the weekends are booked full and been so since the previous December so you look elsewhere. This means that the CC site is almost empty during the week and you cannot make money on sites that are almost empty for two thirds of the week because people cannot spend a two week holiday on a site. This also applies during school holidays.
We took a 10 day break in June and had to give CC sites a miss as we coudl nto stay for 10 days on a ste in an area that we liked. We stayed on a well managed commercial site at £12.50 a night incl EHU in an area that we liked, This is where the C & CC management have a distinct advantage over the dinosaurs that manage the CC!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Royston said:

I am perfectly happy with the arrangements outlined in the Club magazine about cancelling sites 72 hours before arrival and the action they intend to take. However the item highlighted by Royston whilst on site I find very disappointing and I will be making my views known to the Club. Unlike in Europe it is very difficult to have any form of flexibility if using a series of CC sites on a tour like we have recently undertaken in Scotland over a 6 week period. Because we felt we needed to book so far in advance it was a bit hit and miss on how long we wanted to stay on one site. Other important considerations are weather conditions like Hurricane Katia which forced us to change our plans. However under the new rules we would have lost money despite staying on or at another Club site if we adjusted our stay whilst on site.

David

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Surfer said:
Not surprising. Have you tried to book a two week holiday at a CC site? Generally you cannot as the weekends are booked full and been so since the previous December so you look elsewhere. This means that the CC site is almost empty during the week and you cannot make money on sites that are almost empty for two thirds of the week because people cannot spend a two week holiday on a site. This also applies during school holidays.
This is a perennial problem because of the logistic conflict between "weekenders" and "holidaymakers" - commercial sites realise that they get far more revenue from "holidaymakers" so generally make sure their charging/booking systems are more suitable than for "weekenders".

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I have been convinced for some time that most of the rules of the CC is to for the people who run it and not for the members.
Sorry, must go and book all next years weekends........Ha Ha.

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I notice that the opening day for bookings is midweek AGAIN.The CC is run by old farts who seem determined to exclude younger caravanners if at all possible.For Gods sake,why not make it at a weekend when the poor sods who are still working can have a chance of booking their chosen dates.
What about this for an idea? Only people who are currently working should be allowed to book weekends.Anyone not working would only be allowed to stay over the weekend if it formed part of a full week.This would solve the problem that Surfer has identified.Brilliant or what?
Details would have to be thrashed out eg How to prove that a person was working or not but I'm sure it could be done.
Form an orderly queue lol

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
RogerB said:
What about this for an idea? Only people who are currently working should be allowed to book weekends.Anyone not working would only be allowed to stay over the weekend if it formed part of a full week.This would solve the problem that Surfer has identified.Brilliant or what?

We only ever book complete weeks, usually Sunday to Sunday. Your suggestion above wouldn't bother us in the least. Since we've both finished work I couldn't be bothered getting the van off the drive just for a weekend.
Tomorrow I will be booking our first days away for 2012. Four weeks at a private site. With something to look forward to it helps us get through the depressing winter although we've still got 2 weeks to go in Cornwall at Christmas. I say that tongue in cheek because if the weather is the same as the last two years we wont be able to get the van off the drive let alone getting down our road.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you book a site, and you tell them you want it for 6 days and 5 nights, the site has every prospect of receiveing all the money for the period you have stated you will be using it. Like it of not that is a contract, and if you then either do not show or decide to leave early that is not of the sites doing, and so you have broken the contract not them.

If you leave early the site still has the right to charge for the full contract period. You are lucky if the site has an early termination policy becasue if they didn't you would have to pay and if you didn't the site could lawfully sue you for it as loss of income.

You should be considering taking out holiday insurance to cover the situation if you need to break a contract to stay.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I can't understand the reasoning behind this, perhaps I'm missing something.
When we went to Englethwaite Hall this July we paid on arrival for the 14 nights as we all do on arrival at club sites.
After 12 nights we had 3 decent days and 9 of rain so decided enough is enough. We took down the awning and because the following 2 days were forecast as more rain we left 2 days early. We didn't ask for any money back nor would we e3xpect any because the CC can't be held responsible for the weather.
So what is the rule change? Are we expected to pay again for the 2 nights we left early? If so they can get stuffed
smiley-laughing.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
I can't understand the reasoning behind this, perhaps I'm missing something.
When we went to Englethwaite Hall this July we paid on arrival for the 14 nights as we all do on arrival at club sites.
After 12 nights we had 3 decent days and 9 of rain so decided enough is enough. We took down the awning and because the following 2 days were forecast as more rain we left 2 days early. We didn't ask for any money back nor would we e3xpect any because the CC can't be held responsible for the weather.
So what is the rule change? Are we expected to pay again for the 2 nights we left early? If so they can get stuffed
smiley-laughing.gif
No LB I think think the little gray cells have got the wrong end of the stick.
smiley-wink.gif
It's about those who cry off at the last minute etc ..
Once you have paid as you did for the 14 nights, that pitch is yours whether you use or not. However the Wardens do like to know if you are on or off site at night for safety reasons. No refunds as far as I know are given. John's point about holiday cancellation insurance is very valid. Something for the two clubs to think about perhaps.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Quote......

How I read that DD is you are already on site and if I want to go before my specified time, without telling them 72 hours beforehand, I would have to pay for one more night despite already having paid.
smiley-undecided.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Quote......

How I read that DD is you are already on site and if I want to go before my specified time, without telling them 72 hours beforehand, I would have to pay for one more night despite already having paid.
smiley-undecided.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Quote......

smiley-undecided.gif

I think there are other members LB , who unlike us hedge their bets and pay by the night even though booked for say 14. However if I , who as usual has paid in full, and expected to pay a one nights fine then they can stick it up the old proverbial. I suspect somethings got lost in the translation as usual .
I'l check it out or perhaps one of the Clubs Officer's reading this could respond please.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
RogerB said:
I notice that the opening day for bookings is midweek AGAIN.The CC is run by old farts who seem determined to exclude younger caravanners if at all possible.For Gods sake,why not make it at a weekend when the poor sods who are still working can have a chance of booking their chosen dates.
Details would have to be thrashed out eg How to prove that a person was working or not but I'm sure it could be done.
Form an orderly queue lol
It is us old farts who book 10 day breaks which includes weekdays and weekends and not just weekends. After all if you are retired why book only weekends? I agree that CC booking management need to get their heads out of where the sun doesn't shine and move from the dinosaur age to the modern day.

PS One day you will also be an old fart. LOL!

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
There seems to be a lot of members of this forum who enjoy being bossed about by the Caravan"Club" and seek to bring in more rules. We do almost all of our caravanning in Europe and never book or commit to any particular length of stay, only giving the site operators a rough idea of how long we might stay out of courtesy. We are of course touring out of high season and no doubt this would not work in August. I have no sympathy with the "no shows " but this early leaving penalty is another restriction to far.
David

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I run a very small (non-caravan based) business. If a client boooks for four days they pay for four days, whether they use all four, or three, or two. Whatever their reason for cancelling that's not my concern - their misfortune in having to cancel early is theirs not mine and the cost doesn't get passed on to me in terms of lost revenue. No way should the CC refund non-used days - if someone can't use all their booked days then that's not the CC's fault.

All that's needed now is for a deposit up front to stop the madness of weekends getting booked up six months in advance and then pitches left available by late cancellations or no shows...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It has always been accepted on Caravan Club sites that if you shorten your stay you have been entitled to refund for unused days and this has been in place for many years. The reasoning behind this is that you can't turn up at a CC site and say you will stay for between 5 and 7 days, you have to decide at point of arrival and pay. This is the complete opposite of what many of us are used to when in Europe where you pay at the end of the stay. So therefore I think some contributors have not been fully aware that this has been in place for a long time. The changes might be fine and fair for someone who decides to just to go home a day early. However for someone who is visiting a number of sites, one after the other, it does not seem fair as they will end up paying twice for the same night. There also seems to be no exceptions like bad weather or illness. It is also hardly fair to threat one section of members, ie those already on site, differently from those that sit at home and cancel or don't turn up at all. Being on site does show some commitment to the Club where the ones that get no sanction get away scott free!

David

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
If you book 7 nights on any site and you leave after 5 why should you get a refund, its a contract. The CC should not have to miss out if you decide to change your plans, you would not expect a refund from a private site or any other business for that matter, whats so different about the CC its a business.
People complain about how the rules should change, well they have and for the better in my view.
We left Bunree 3 days early 2 years ago because of the weather, didnt dream id get a refund didnt even ask but got full refund. Why, I booked it.
LB you will need new tyres on the Van soon the amount you go away these days lol, screwem hall will have squatters soon if your not careful
Kev

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
trucker said:
LB you will need new tyres on the Van soon the amount you go away these days lol, screwem hall will have squatters soon if your not careful
Kev

See post in 'sending pics' thread Kev. They've already stipped the lead off the roof
smiley-frown.gif

Today I've booked up four weeks already for next year and that's before the CC bun fight starts
smiley-laughing.gif

Still got two weeks at Christmas to go yet though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
trucker said:
If you book 7 nights on any site and you leave after 5 why should you get a refund, its a contract. Kev
Kev
Because for years its been a standard part of Caravan Club procedures to give refunds if you decide leave a site early as you found out yourself. That is not changing except if you make that decision less than 72 hours before departure there will now be a penalty. Its all about being a member of the Club.
David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Their are some people even private site owners that appear to be in agreement with CC latest rules.
I could understand the rules being applied to Statics, where if you leave early they could not find anybody to take over the lease for the days that you vacate early.
We are all Traverllers, different ball game, we own the caravan, the CC rents the pitch to us, now if we leave earlier then we are entitled to a refund, because as soon as any pitch becomes available it occupied by another caravan.
What this new rule implies is that you are being fined for leaving early,Because how can they charge for pitch that still has your bookings attached to another caravan owner.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Royston said:
Their are some people even private site owners that appear to be in agreement with CC latest rules.
I could understand the rules being applied to Statics, where if you leave early they could not find anybody to take over the lease for the days that you vacate early.
We are all Traverllers, different ball game, we own the caravan, the CC rents the pitch to us, now if we leave earlier then we are entitled to a refund, because as soon as any pitch becomes available it occupied by another caravan.
What this new rule implies is that you are being fined for leaving early,Because how can they charge for pitch that still has your bookings attached to another caravan owner.
I don't see that we're any different in principle to hotel guests - the full fee is payable and refunds only given if the pitch can be rebooked at full price, whether we don't arrive or leave early.

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Royston said:

Book a Travelodge and most rooms are non-refundable. You decide not to take up the room you don't get anything back and still have to pay for it. Travelodge may indeed re-let the room to someone else but that's not guaranteed so it is only right people pay for what they have booked. If the intended occupant is ill, has a bereavement, or whatever it's not Travelodge's fault so there's no reason why all the risk should be passed to Travelodge, or in this case, the CC. The CC has to make money to be able to offer the services for it's members therefore it has to make sure it maximises revenue and doesn't get left with empty pitches, particularly at the peak of the season. Seems wrong not to charge when looked at that way. Besides, they're not saying you can't cancel, just not at such short notice filling the pitch would be hard to do. Fair enough.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts