Caravan club

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Sorry in advance but this is all new to me so trying to get as much info as possible.

Simple question Do you think the Caravan Clun is worth Joining?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Both the CC and C&CC offer a range of benefits which to name but two include access to caravan tailored insurance for members, and access to a number of club only caravans sites and events.

As Woodlands says the range of facilities will suit different people differently. Its easy enough to check out the clubs web sites and if you look through them you may well find one of the club seems to suit you better than the other. There is also the possibility that neither tickles your fancy.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I belong to both.
Why? They both have excellent sites all over the UK. Their vehicle breakdown schemes allow to continue your holiday uninterrupted. Excellent insurance schemes. Legal advice help lines and you get a monthly magazine. Good useful Web sites with vast technical data and help. Towing driving courses hands on.
A no brainer. Join both.
Good luck.

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I must be brainless then! I belong to neither club as they don't have many fully serviced pitches on offer. Unfortunately my elderly bones preclude me from lugging water about !! I used to do so forty years ago but went the "lazy route" several years ago. As you rightly say, it's what suits your needs.
Regards to all
Derek B

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
As others have said, very much down to personal choice. I am a member of the Caravan Club, use their caravan insurance scheme and their Mayday breakdown service. Been with them since about 1984 so I obviously like them. I did join the Camping and Caravan Club for a couple of years but let my membership lapse, not because of any problems but just that in the two years I was with them I only ever visited 2 of their sites. They don't seem to have sites in the areas I wanted to visit but i wouldn't rule out joining back up with them. As someone else suggested have a look at both their websites, see if one has more sites in areas that appeal to you than the other one and give it a go. Or do as Dustydog suggested and join both, neither have over expensive membership fees.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I'm with the Caravan Club because they give me free membership! But I also like their caravan insurance, their comprehensive European travel insurance, their Club sites and the CLs.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
A lot depends on what you like to stay on. The clubs will give you mainly well kept sites but not the bars, pools and other things you get on many commercial sites plus a large number of small five caravan sites for those who prefer that. On top you get foreign touring services with discounts on ferry fares, site booking service and foreign touring insurance.
They provide other services like excellent caravan insurance, legal and general advice, a magazine and other services.
They are both very good at what they do, but you need to see if what they offer is of use to you. Given the cost of membership then it might be worth trying for a year and then see what you think if you think it is of use.

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I belong to both clubs , but a recent event makes me think.

Sadly my mum passed away 2 months ago and for obvious reasons we had to change our holiday plans etc.

Without any problems we changed or got immediate refunds from the campsites we booked directly in France and Spain , the euro tunnel moved our crossing and all of these we booked as non changeable or non refundable.
The only one we could not change was the booking we made with the caravan club - and whilst they were quite within their rights as they mentioned several times to me ( all in their small print ) they were just not interested .
So from now on we will avoid their services in this area
Andy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Andy,

My sympathies to you, having lost both parents, and just last month my daughter had a still birth, it can be all very emotional.

It is good to read of all the businesses that have responded sympathetically to your loss and your consequential change of plans.

I can understand your disappointment with the CC and their policy, but that was the deal you read and agreed when you agreed the booking.

I guess you have previously enjoyed the benefits membership of the club and the exclusive sites they offer. It seems a shame you are restricting your choices in the future simply because the company has followed the terms of its contract with you.

After all it's a pretty small probability that a similar unfortunate event will arise to change your plans.

I do hope you can reconcile your emotions and rather than taking knee jerk reactions take the time to calmly consider your future booking plans.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......I agree with your logic and reaction Andy.
That is appalling behaviour by the Caravan Club especially since it is a member owned organisation.
Having said that I too was badly treated by the Camping and Caravanning Club and my reaction was to cancel my membership that I had held for 18 years.

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
In my opinion if you like dictatorship, regulations and unhelpful wardens then CC is right for you.
Personally I consider being told that "your van is 12" out of line" is a tad too much.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I can sympathise with Andy, but the CC is a company (albeit members are shareholders) and needs to make a profit. They were suffering, due to being good natured and not taking a deposit (unlike other sites/clubs), by many people booking and cancelling at short notice or not turning up at all. All sorts of excuses were made and the CC had no way of telling which were the few genuine cases and which were the selfish people. Hence stricter rules were introduced. There are many threads of people taken ill when on site and the wardens go out of their way to help the stricken people, so it's not all one-sided.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Phil.Q said:
In my opinion if you like dictatorship, regulations and unhelpful wardens then CC is right for you.
Personally I consider being told that "your van is 12" out of line" is a tad too much.

It's a free world and you are totally at liberty to vote with your feet (or van wheels ;) )

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Given the Caravan Club do not take deposits I am at a loss to understand where they have let Andy down. Only the C&CC take deposits and I am wondering if he has the wrong club.
The only way in which he could lose money with the CC was if he was on site and the deduction would be one nights fees. To me this is not unreasonable and is clearly stated in the rules and is far more generous than many private sites who would have just kept the money paid for the entire booking.
We mostly use CC sites and we have not had the problems with the wardens suggested by Phil Q. Other than one man who parked his motorhome the wrong side of the peg I have never seen any warden take issue with positioning, although it must happen from time to time, if members do not site correctly. Not sure what allowance they make for tolerance is when siting but we have been a foot out sometimes and no one has said anything. In the main the wardens are friendly and helpful like any profession there is the odd exception but they are very few and far between.

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
I would agree that if it was a free for all world then total chaos would reign and we all need rules and regs.
I have been in both clubs and as WC says I vote with my wheels.
There are good and bad points to everything and would not totally dis the CC outright, all I'm trying to say is imo they go a bit too far.

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Just to answer an earlier reply with regards to having to cancel our holiday due to bereavement , I had booked an overseas site with the Caravan club. It was no big deal (£150) and I know the T&C's etc. - and we never expected anything
Its just all of the other bookings ( sites and crossings ) had the same policy but they all managed to offer a change or refund.
All in the past now - but it has reinforced our decision to book all oversea sites directly - it is no more difficult (simply an email ) cheaper ( only need a small deposit - the rest on arrival - not several weeks in advance) and more flexible !
Andy

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I am new to caravaning (well not new but I haven't been since I was a child and that was a long long time ago). I decided to join the C&CC this time around because of the insurance. I am that new that I haven't even picked up my caravan yet (doing it this Friday). whether or not I stay with them or go across to the CC is yet to be decided, I may even take up membership of both organisations for a year or two to see which one I get the most out of.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Andy, I'm sorry to read of your mothers passing, please accept my condolences.
I haven't and won't edit or alter anything written as part of this thread so far, but I have to gently remind forum members of the rules which govern the use of the forum.
Please bear in mind Rule 4 of forum etiquette when adding forum copy, thank you.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to go off topic, but couldn't let Prof John 's news about his daughter and grandchild go past.

Prof John, so sorry to hear this. All bereavements are awful but a still birth amongst the cruelest. My very best wishes and sincerest condolences to you and your family.
Mel

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Mel said:
Sorry to go off topic, but couldn't let Prof John 's news about his daughter and grandchild go past.

Prof John, so sorry to hear this. All bereavements are awful but a still birth amongst the cruelest. My very best wishes and sincerest condolences to you and your family.
Mel
Apologies for not reading the complete thread before I posted my reminder.
I would like to add my sincere condolences to the Prof and family at this sad time

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Parksy said:
Mel said:

Mel
Apologies for not reading the complete thread before I posted my reminder.
I would like to add my sincere condolences to the Prof and family at this sad time
I too offer my best wishes at this sad time for Prof John,and his daughter plus the hurt it will also have caused his wife and son in law.I wish his daughter and family courage and fortitude at this difficult time.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Another one who missed the loss from Prof John. We have never experienced that in our family and can only imagine the pain and send our condolences on the loss.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts