Caravan club

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am joining a caravan club this year so what’s the best one, we are two people in our 70s, not fussy about club houses,

I would join both for 12 months and see which suits you better. I did that.......n years ago and are still with both. It extends the range of club sites and the certified sites and certified locations. For the outlay good value.

Reactions: JTQ, Nimrod and PTA
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am with OC, we joined both clubs, but seldom use their main club site and we used, to use the CL/CS sites. But over tha last few years yet again I have found private sites, that better suite us. But I am loath to leave either club . For the odd occasion that we use a Cl/Cs site.
At your tender age of , Septarians, and have maybe caravanning for a couple of years, why are you asking about joining "The Clubs".

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We initially joined both but then dumped the C&CC and stayed with CMC or Caravan Club. The C&CC IMHO is definitely not the friendly club as we found out when we wanted to book a one night stay on the weekend. We were told that we had to book a minimum two nights! No good if you are travelling toa destination further along the way, but cannot travel more than 3 - 4 hours driving in one go.

Reactions: Nimrod
May 7, 2012
Visit site
We are members of both as we like the choice of sites this gives us. We store the caravan with the CAMH and need some of their sites hen visiting relatives though.
As far as the sites go there is not a lot between them but the CAMH have more and possibly a more consistent spread of them. The CAMH sites are maintained to the highest standards in most cases although the C&CC are not far behind and are generally very good. They do let the grass grow a bit longer though which may leave them looking not quite so neat.
It may not make any difference to you but the CAMH book you in and leave you to choose your pitch from whatever is free from the type you chose but the C&CC will show you to your pitch although they usually discuss what you want and you can ask to change it if you are not happy with the one they show you.
Both have good services for members, the CAMH is cheaper on their breakdown recovery service and the C&CC is usually cheaper on insurance. Both give cover probably beyond what you will get elsewhere for the price and with excellent service.
They both have a monthly magazine, personally I think the CAMH one is far better, but I would not join either for this.
If you want to go abroad at the moment the CAMH is the only one with a foreign touring service which is excellent. The C&CC closed theirs last year but say they will be bringing something back. If you want to tour abroad the CAMH is the best option but otherwise other than the CAMH having more sites their is very little in it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We are members of both as we like the choice of sites this gives us. We store the caravan with the CAMH and need some of their sites hen visiting relatives though.
As far as the sites go there is not a lot between them but the CAMH have more and possibly a more consistent spread of them. The CAMH sites are maintained to the highest standards in most cases although the C&CC are not far behind and are generally very good. They do let the grass grow a bit longer though which may leave them looking not quite so neat.
It may not make any difference to you but the CAMH book you in and leave you to choose your pitch from whatever is free from the type you chose but the C&CC will show you to your pitch although they usually discuss what you want and you can ask to change it if you are not happy with the one they show you.
Both have good services for members, the CAMH is cheaper on their breakdown recovery service and the C&CC is usually cheaper on insurance. Both give cover probably beyond what you will get elsewhere for the price and with excellent service.
They both have a monthly magazine, personally I think the CAMH one is far better, but I would not join either for this.
If you want to go abroad at the moment the CAMH is the only one with a foreign touring service which is excellent. The C&CC closed theirs last year but say they will be bringing something back. If you want to tour abroad the CAMH is the best option but otherwise other than the CAMH having more sites their is very little in it.

I rather like the fact that the CCC have more grass areas on their sites as although we visit CMHC sites some do have very large areas of gravel more akin to a truck park.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
We initially joined both but then dumped the C&CC and stayed with CMC or Caravan Club. The C&CC IMHO is definitely not the friendly club as we found out when we wanted to book a one night stay on the weekend. We were told that we had to book a minimum two nights! No good if you are travelling toa destination further along the way, but cannot travel more than 3 - 4 hours driving in one go.
Hi,
We also came out of the C&CC club mainly because their rules that prevented us staying at their sites.
We joined their club so that we could stay at their sites.Any rules that prevent this are bad rules.
We found Caravan club sites generally have better facilities.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
We also came out of the C&CC club mainly because their rules that prevented us staying at their sites.
We joined their club so that we could stay at their sites.Any rules that prevent this are bad rules.
We found Caravan club sites generally have better facilities.

What rules prevented you staying at CCC sites?

Reactions: Pippip111152
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not saying I necessarily agree with all the rules the C&CC have or have had , but when thinking of joining a club of any sort, it seems to make a lot of sense to read the rules before you join, and if there are any that don't suit you - don't join, just as with any contract.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i have stop at the camping and caravan clubs site and read the rules and never had any problems so far .

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the problem with C&CC sites may be that they require two or even three night bookings in many cases. It is a rule that many members dislike, but helps others so you have to judge that one for yourself. CAMH allow single night bookings which does help if you need an overnight stop on a longer journey but can leave sites booked up with these members.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our daughters is a four hundred mile trip so an overnight stop somewhere is useful although we do usually break the trip at Chester for my wife to indulge in saving money by spending more in the outlet shops. A lot of people need overnight stops on long trips though and the C&CC do lose out there. A lot depends on how long we have for the trip.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Both clubs have a conflict at peak periods between members wanting one night in transit, two/three nights at a weekend and longer stays of a week or more - the fact that they choose to handle things differently does give caravanners a choice just as commercial sites and CLs have different ways of handling this.

When we go to the Highlands from the Midlands, we "wild camp" in a secluded lay-by or Rest Area by timing our departure from home to arrive about 10pm and leave at 8am next morning.

As an aside, the situation of nights in transit will get much worse as we switch to EVs as the towing range will be so much less than IC towcars even with a recharge every meal break.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
We stay in Scotland and could'nt stay for single nights at the weekend or English bank holidays when travelling down South on holiday,same when returning home.
That was our issue. Last straw was a very rude warden at the C&CC site in Malvern. We moved off the next day and at the same time cancelled our membership. They gave us a refund for the remaining months so obviously may have had issues with the warden previously.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I am wondering the the CAMC represents value any more. In the old days, you could count on the standard of each site, but nowadays private sites seem to be easily surpassing those qualities across the board. You have to be a member for their insurance and breakdown if indeed you use that service, but their insurance does seem to be extortionately expensive. I am currently going through an insurance claim and we will see if the extra cost is worth it. I am finding more and more that on top of my membership, breakdown and insurance that staying on their sites is now fequently more expensive than many commercial sites that offer far more.

I too was a member of both clubs for years, but i have never once used the C&CC.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I am wondering the the CAMC represents value any more. In the old days, you could count on the standard of each site, but nowadays private sites seem to be easily surpassing those qualities across the board. You have to be a member for their insurance and breakdown if indeed you use that service, but their insurance does seem to be extortionately expensive. I am currently going through an insurance claim and we will see if the extra cost is worth it. I am finding more and more that on top of my membership, breakdown and insurance that staying on their sites is now fequently more expensive than many commercial sites that offer far more.

I too was a member of both clubs for years, but i have never once used the C&CC.
I started wondering about CC value decades ago as site fees have been going up faster than inflation since the '90s - we haven't used club sites for about 15 years, preferring CLs and commercials - we gave up on CC insurance a few years back as it was much cheaper elsewhere - we do still use Mayday as the cover is superior.

The one thing I do dislike about the CC is that they "recommend" charge rates to CLs and put pressure on those below that level, that's according to several CL owners we've spoken to - the cynic in me thinks that's to make their own charges look reasonable.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

I find myself agreeing with you as we are now using more and more commercial sites every year. Over the past few years I think that we have used a CC site about once a year and only for a short stop over.
The CMC sites are very regimented, clean and well organised however that is where it stops back in the 20th century. Wifi is very poor or non existent, no facilities on site like a restaurant, take away etc. that would perhaps operate during the summer months saving you going off site for a meal and a drink. Just to add we would avoid sites that had loud booming music to the early hours of the morning.
However we pay the membership fee mainly for the breakdown cover and the use of the CL network. CMC insurance although good is a lot more expensive that many mainstream insurance companies. Actually the CMC have not offer caravan insurance for a couple of years.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
RogerL, I have a different issue the CAMC and CLs. As far as I know, to be a clunb CL they are limited to 5 vans, yet on a number of occasions we have found 8 or 9 vans onsite. When I book a CL that has hookup, i expect hookup. We had an incidence in Cornwall some years back with a farm CL having 5 hookups, yet 8 vans onsite. We had to move a week into the holiday onto a hookup pitch, which meant dropping the awning and re-erecting it. We had booked 12 months in advance and specified hookup. I contacted the club about this and there was no interest whatsoever. I have found over the years the CAMC responses to issues are usually very poor.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
RogerL, I have a different issue the CAMC and CLs. As far as I know, to be a clunb CL they are limited to 5 vans, yet on a number of occasions we have found 8 or 9 vans onsite. When I book a CL that has hookup, i expect hookup. We had an incidence in Cornwall some years back with a farm CL having 5 hookups, yet 8 vans onsite. We had to move a week into the holiday onto a hookup pitch, which meant dropping the awning and re-erecting it. We had booked 12 months in advance and specified hookup. I contacted the club about this and there was no interest whatsoever. I have found over the years the CAMC responses to issues are usually very poor.
Your first line of redress should always be towards the site owner - personally I don't have an issue with more than 5 vans on a CL, not my job to police it, but then we always choose reasonably spacious CLs so lack of space isn't a problem

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
For the record CL is a Certificated Location sponsored by CAMC (CAMH) , no real difference IMO or
CS is a Certificated Site sponsored by CCC ( C&CC) 🤫
Both purport to allow and licence only five caravans / motor homes on the designated site. However , as I have discovered and indeed welcome, a lot of the land owners have set up their own additional site with pitches separated from the Clubs allocated bits. And why shouldn’t they??.
In addition both run their main members sites which on the whole are well provided for in terms of facilities. However there are some beautiful sites which have no facilities, bar electricity, water, waste disposal, eg St Agnes Head Cornwall or Altnaharra, Sutherland. The locations are fantastic. Generally all the sites are excellent providing all the comforts you may desire.
Back to the OP. Relative to the cost of your car and caravan and parafanalia the annual subscription to the two main Clubs is peanuts. As Clive suggested go for both for a few years . I still belong to both. They are complimentary , have sites in different places or as at Malvern , next door.
CCC allows tents. CAMC , generally no tents but that’s not cast in stone. Nothing wrong with campers. I started that way, trailer tent then caravan.
Both Clubs have a lot to offer in deals , benefits, sites , advice, magazines , driving courses, so why restrict yourself so early into a new hobby, pastime. Go for both!!
Enjoy and do your thing😀😀😀

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have been in both clubs over the years like DD we started off with a Tent then a folding trailer then upgraded to a caravan .
We have stopped on Caravan clubs site like Grin Low Buxton . Chatsworth caravan club sites both are nice ,and worth visiting we also like small 5 CL CAMC with hardstanding fully service pitch & Toilet Block & Dog walk , We have stop with a Camping and caravan club site last year I would recommend it used to be a 5 CS Adult park but now has over thirty hard standing service pitches but some are now seasonal we love our stay they even brought me a cup coffee & Tea for my wife and cake on arrival. The pitch we found was big and plenty of room we was near the Toilet Block but that was shut because of Covid -19 I would go for both enjoy

Last edited:
May 24, 2014
Visit site
In response to Dusty, I dont have any issue with site owners using extra fields etc or setting up a commercial site adjacent to the CL. What I am referring to is ignoring pre existing bookings and squeezing drop ins into the site who then use the facility i have booked leaving me without. Indeed the site i mentioned in Cornwall has a 150 unit campsite attached.

If the site is licensed either by local authority or CAMC for 5 vans, then 5 vans it should be.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts